Yamaha Transacoustic

What's Hot
SoupmanSoupman Frets: 263
edited April 2022 in Acoustics
Anyone own one of these? I can see how it could cause polarised views.
I came across a Paul David's video last year, where he discusses the merits or otherwise of the Yamaha Transacoustic. 
It gives the ability to add reverb and/or chorus to the acoustic sound without any external connections - it comes from the soundhole.
I would love to try one but what with covid rates I've not got round to it.
If anyone has one I'd love to hear your views, also what are other people's thoughts ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JasonJason Frets: 1120
    tFB Trader
    I’ve got one. Due to the fact that it sits in the living room it’s probably my most played guitar. 

I like it. The reverb is really useful. I don’t much use the chorus. 

Any particular questions? 
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 263
    @Jason I don't have any particular questions, just curious. I have several guitars in the house, but that doesn't mean I'm immune to GAS!
    Personally I love the idea, the ability to add colour to the sound, and the ability to turn it off as you please.
    =) 
    tFB Trader
    Soupman said:
    @Jason I don't have any particular questions, just curious. I have several guitars in the house, but that doesn't mean I'm immune to GAS!
    Personally I love the idea, the ability to add colour to the sound, and the ability to turn it off as you please.
    =) 

The only thing I would say is that it is quite heavy for an acoustic, but I'm mostly sitting on the sofa so it doesn't matter. In a room full of sound deadening furniture, it is quite nice to add a little reverb.

It is a lovely put together guitar, can't fault it at all
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8652
    I've only heard YouTube demos. I like the reverb feature but I'm not sure if it's a gimmick I would tire of quickly or would use on a regular basis. 
  • EvanEvan Frets: 326
    Jason said:
    I’ve got one. Due to the fact that it sits in the living room it’s probably my most played guitar. 

Apart from the effects, how does it stack up as an acoustic guitar? Would you say it is an exceptional guitar disregarding the effects?
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8974
    Kilgore said:
    I've only heard YouTube demos. I like the reverb feature but I'm not sure if it's a gimmick I would tire of quickly or would use on a regular basis. 
    My worry would be te exact opposite. You might get so used to having the built-in reverb effect that any normal acoustic after that sounds flat, dead and very one-dimensional.  I think it would be like using a reverb pedal with an amp that doesn't have reverb and switching the pedal off while playing.  Lush and "wide" to boxy at the press of a button.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    edited April 2022
    thing is,  acoustic has a modicum of "natural reverb"   from the effect of the "sound box"

for me,  an acoustic is it the pinnacle of its own tone,  any (and all) effect just detracts from the natural sound it produces, and that includes pickups
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Evan said:
    Jason said:

Apart from the effects, how does it stack up as an acoustic guitar? Would you say it is an exceptional guitar disregarding the effects?

I would say it is a good acoustic guitar - probably in the, £500-£750 bracket (compared to others without the effects built-in). Is it as good as my Hummingbird? No, but then that cost a lot more. It is a typical Yamaha, built flawlessly for a good price. I like it, I can see how people would be wary of it, but it works for me. I play it with and without the reverb on, I'm happy either way.

At the end of the day, they are just tools that do a job, I just like having this tool available.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 835
    edited April 2022
    I'm a big Yamaha fan but I'm also a big fan, and arguably a little bit up myself, of the purity of playing a nice unadorned acoustic without electronics. Of which Yamaha make lots.

If I ever add effects its when I'm editing a recording. Usually just a little bit of reverb. I don't need that all the time. Electronics are not exactly the work of the devil are they but they do make instruments heavier. 

This is a jolly avenue for Yamaha to try and get an edge. Good luck to them. But will 'transacoustic' ever become a mainstream feature of acoustics across manufacturers like X-bracing, scalloped bracing or even, whisper it quietly, a pre-amp? I doubt it.

Anyway. The OP question was, what's it like? Don't know. Never tried it. :-)
    @DavidR I agree with that. I don't expect it will become mainstream like bracing patterns, nevertheless I still find it intriguing.... :)
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1121
    edited April 2022
    Jason said:
    Evan said:
    Jason said:

I would say it is a good acoustic guitar - probably in the, £500-£750 bracket (compared to others without the effects built-in). Is it as good as my Hummingbird? No, but then that cost a lot more. It is a typical Yamaha, built flawlessly for a good price. I like it, I can see how people would be wary of it, but it works for me. I play it with and without the reverb on, I'm happy either way.

At the end of the day, they are just tools that do a job, I just like having this tool available.
    What model do you have @Jason ?
    tFB Trader
    BigPaulie said:
    Jason said:
    Evan said:
    Jason said:

What model do you have @Jason ?
    LL-TA in natural finish 
    Just an update to this old thread:
    I was killing a little time this morning and ended up in GuitarGuitar (well, you have to don't you).
    I told the sales guy I was just looking as the place was like an art gallery but more interesting.
    Anyway, chatted a little & he handed me a Yamaha LS-TA transacoustic, about £1k. 
    Vintage tint ARE top, rosewood b&s, 44.5mm nut. Superbly built & finished and played really well. 
    I have to say I really liked the reverb/chorus options, the thing just played so well.
    I know in the £1k new price bracket there is quite a lot of competition (let alone used instruments), so if I was looking to buy it would be worth at least checking some of them.
    Still, I'm hankering after one now. Thought my GAS days were over. Ha! Think again! :/

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28425
    Soupman said:
    Thought my GAS days were over. Ha! Think again! :/

:D 

Enjoy the GAS!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.