SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

No longer wtb: firebird pickups, duesenberg les trem or similar

MikeCMikeC Frets: 450
edited September 2022 in Parts £
Well, I was going to sell my players grade 64 epiphone wilshire, but now I've decided its a keeper - so I'd like to upgrade the pickups. I've got goldfoils from ‘Q pickups’ in Croatia in there at the moment, but fancy trying some firebird mini humbuckers for something a little bit different - anyone got a decent set sitting in their parts draw?  I know Oil City pickups do some great firebird ones (winterisers?) that are reasonably priced. Any one tried them? Any other suggestions or second hand ones out there? 

I also fancy putting on a lightweight trem system that doesn't need holes / drilling (in case it is a bad idea so no damage done) such as the duesenberg les system. Again, any trem systems for the usual les paul tailpiece set up out there?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    edited April 2022
    MikeC said:
    Oil City pickups do some great firebird ones (winterisers?) that are reasonably priced. Any one tried them?   
    Yes but, by now, the majority of Fretboarders will be bored rigid by me eulogising about Winterizer 2 pickups.

FYI, OCP also makes Gibson/Epiphone style mini-humbuckers. These might be more appropriate for your Wilshire.

Probably best to contact OCP directly and discuss your requirements with them.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited April 2022
    Yeah, I really like the Winterizers in my Gibson Explorer. Gnarly, clear and snappy, great mids and they overdrive superbly. A caveat, though - They sound fantastic in the Explorer which is all mahogany and a very warm, resonant instrument. It's my favourite guitar. The image, however, doesn't quite suit my current band so I tried the Winterizers in a Gretsch Duo Jet and Japanese Epi Les Paul, both of which have maple caps and are brighter & tighter, and didn't like them as much - the low end was too thin compared to Filtertrons and humbuckers. I think they need explorer/ firebird style bodies to thicken up the low end and sound their best.

Just my own experience of course!
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2512
    I've got some SD Antiquites that I might part with. They are not installed atm as I only have Teles...  Will need extending - well definitely the bridge. The nickel as naturally aged to perfection for an old guitar too :D
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 450
    Sure, let me know if the SD’s are available assuming they are mini humbucker size. 

I’ll also give Ash a ring re Oil City given the comments above. Thanks all! 
    Gentle bump
    Bump. Although I now think the duesenberg trem won’t fit my guitar, so just looking for firebird pickups now…
    Bump
    Bump for firebird pickups
    Bump
    All sorted