2022 Setlists

What's Hot

Comments

• @Danny1969 I notice there are some tunes in your set with non-standard tuning (eg Kevin Carter). Do you play them in standard or do you have multiple guitars for different tunings?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401
    @Danny1969 I notice there are some tunes in your set with non-standard tuning (eg Kevin Carter). Do you play them in standard or do you have multiple guitars for different tunings?
    I generally pay everything in standard interval tuning but down a semitone. There are a few songs where I will drop the E string down a tone  which of course already being down a semitone puts it in C sharp
    Kevin Carter is a difficult one I love the voicing he gets on that song with his non-standard tuning but I just play it in a way that’s not as good but it’s playable in standard tuning. 
    I never knew how he actually tuned for that song until fairly recently when I discovered a great YouTube video where he sits down and shows you the tuning and the positions for quite a few of his famous songs
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3832
    edited April 2022
    I play Shut up and Dance too, in C#, with a splendid tapping guitar solo in the middle.  Really nice tune to play. 

That Sam fender Will we talk song I play to but it's so boring on guitar.

Surely Hypersonic Missiles is the Sam Fender track to do. The chorus is amazeballs. Or do the chicks not dig that one as much?
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    Lebarque said:
    I play Shut up and Dance too, in C#, with a splendid tapping guitar solo in the middle.  Really nice tune to play. 

That Sam fender Will we talk song I play to but it's so boring on guitar.

Surely Hypersonic Missiles is the Sam Fender track to do. The chorus is amazeballs. Or do the chicks not dig that one as much?
    I went to see him recently and Hypersonic Missiles was the one where it really kicked off, crowd wise (in a good way). I'd like to add that one in too
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6481
    edited April 2022
    Danny1969 said:
    @Danny1969 I notice there are some tunes in your set with non-standard tuning (eg Kevin Carter). Do you play them in standard or do you have multiple guitars for different tunings?
    I generally pay everything in standard interval tuning but down a semitone. There are a few songs where I will drop the E string down a tone  which of course already being down a semitone puts it in C sharp
    Kevin Carter is a difficult one I love the voicing he gets on that song with his non-standard tuning but I just play it in a way that’s not as good but it’s playable in standard tuning. 
    I never knew how he actually tuned for that song until fairly recently when I discovered a great YouTube video where he sits down and shows you the tuning and the positions for quite a few of his famous songs
    Yeah, I saw that video with JDB too...A few songs there in different tunings I didn't know he used!

I used to play Honky Tonk Woman at every gig, and to start off with I'd have a guitar tuned to Open G, but I soon realised it was too much faff and playing it in standard made no difference whatsoever to anyone else in the room, the rest of the band included.
    There's been a couple of songs over the years I've HAD to do in a different tuning - e.g. Tenerife Sea by Ed Sheeran has something odd like the G tuned down to E, or summat like that, it's easier to just tune down that one string than to try and play it in standard - but generally, I tend to stick to standard.
    It's like most of these things, if you worry too much about replicating the record accurately, no-one will care, notice or thank you for it! 

• Oh, except I do Place Your Hands in Drop D, if ever I play it, which is rarely.

• west said:

every reason i quit .... id rather fix shit for a livin

I'm with you there.. maybe half a dozen or so tracks in that list that I'd play.. the rest I find dreary and worthy of the label musical prostitution...

It pays well for sure I have no doubt, and loads of people love the radio friendly hits...

But I'm classic hard rocker and play those types of venues instead.. plenty of them around in the North West fortunately..

Ultimately, if I'm not enjoying playing it then why should I.

.. and yes.. my band's set is straight outta the 70/80s lol

Each to their own, innit.

Absolutely fella!!
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Danny1969 said:
     ...Sam Fender and Catfish are probably the only current-ish stuff we are doing ... what you all got ?
    Peasy: anything 'DC pre-1980 ;)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31556
    Its mad that songs 10 or so years ago are still classed as modern/up to date, 
    I used to worry about this, but actually nobody is more nostalgic than people in their early 20s for music from when they were 12. 

Most of our audience are female, aged from 18-28, and they honestly mostly don't want to hear absolutely up-to-the-minute chart stuff. That said, a lot of our covers are from the last 3-5 years, but it seems they need to be at least that old to be part of a collective experience. 
  • westwest Frets: 996
    west said:

every reason i quit .... id rather fix shit for a livin

I'm with you there.. maybe half a dozen or so tracks in that list that I'd play.. the rest I find dreary and worthy of the label musical prostitution...

It pays well for sure I have no doubt, and loads of people love the radio friendly hits...

But I'm classic hard rocker and play those types of venues instead.. plenty of them around in the North West fortunately..

Ultimately, if I'm not enjoying playing it then why should I.

.. and yes.. my band's set is straight outta the 70/80s lol

Each to their own, innit.

I’ve done both: wedding band and Classic Rock covers (bike rallies, pubs etc).
    In both cases, there have been songs in the set I’ve looked forward to playing and songs that made me cringe.

At a good gig, where the crowd are getting into it and it all sounds good, I’m happy playing covers others might consider cheesy.

I promise myself one day I’ll put together a band playing the kinds of music I like listening to, but it really won’t happen; nobody would come to the gigs!

Just to qualify .. i never meant to piss on dannys thread by my comment , ive done ALL these things to my detriment and the need at one point to pay the bills ... for the ones that it is  of no consequence good on yer ! but it made me ill .... even my steely dan tribute foray , one if not my fave band turned sour after a short while  ...   which envokes the paraphrase "to thine own self be true "  alternatively uncle morty would say " i will never play the Dane ... "
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    p90fool said:
    Its mad that songs 10 or so years ago are still classed as modern/up to date, 
    I used to worry about this, but actually nobody is more nostalgic than people in their early 20s for music from when they were 12. 

Most of our audience are female, aged from 18-28, and they honestly mostly don't want to hear absolutely up-to-the-minute chart stuff. That said, a lot of our covers are from the last 3-5 years, but it seems they need to be at least that old to be part of a collective experience. 
    That’s exactly what we’ve found. A lot of people like music from their early teens. On top of that there’s nostalgia for the 80s.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Danny1969 said:
    Can you play EVHs Ice cream man solo?! :astonished: 
    Kinda ... He actually picks every note of the fast bit which I can do if sitting down but onstage that stretch (as you know) is too big so I tend to tap it .... same notes but a lot easier to do 
    Does he pick every note there?

I always thought it was tapped until I saw DLR band play it and the guys played the wide stretch - Joey Holmes I think?

Anyway - our last couple of gigs have been:

Hammer to fall
    hard to handle
    why can`t this be love
    by the way
    love in an elevator
    in these arms
    hold the line
    pride
    go your own way
    wanted dead or alive
    i want it all

boys of summer
    only thing that looks good on me
    i believe in a thing called love
    dude looks like a lady
    jump
    power of love
    walk this way
    under pressure
    crazy train
    final countdown

under the bridge
    pour some sugar
    livin on a prayer

I know it`s all cheese - but it`s fun to play! :-)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401
    newi123 said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Can you play EVHs Ice cream man solo?! :astonished: 
    Kinda ... He actually picks every note of the fast bit which I can do if sitting down but onstage that stretch (as you know) is too big so I tend to tap it .... same notes but a lot easier to do 
    Does he pick every note there?

I always thought it was tapped until I saw DLR band play it and the guys played the wide stretch - Joey Holmes I think?

Anyway - our last couple of gigs have been:

Hammer to fall
    hard to handle
    why can`t this be love
    by the way
    love in an elevator
    in these arms
    hold the line
    pride
    go your own way
    wanted dead or alive
    i want it all

boys of summer
    only thing that looks good on me
    i believe in a thing called love
    dude looks like a lady
    jump
    power of love
    walk this way
    under pressure
    crazy train
    final countdown

under the bridge
    pour some sugar
    livin on a prayer

I know it`s all cheese - but it`s fun to play! :-)

Yeah it's picked on the original recording ... like this

Love you set, done all those over the years and all of them have gone down well. Used to do loads of Leppard stuff along with Pour some sugar like Animal, Rock of ages, Hysteria,  Photograph, Lets get rocked .... great fun to play 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • @newi123 ;  some great tunes in there...

our set list as of last gig...

Living After Midnight
    Just Like Paradise
    Love Walked In
    Hit Me With Your Best Shot
    Tie Your Mother Down
    Synchronicity 2
    Since You Been Gone
    Photograph
    The Chain
    Distant Early Warning
    Whole Lotta Rose

Separate Ways
    If Looks Could Kill
    Crazy Train
    Owner of a Lonely Heart
    Stone In Love
    Breaking The Law
    Wasted Years
    Kiss Me Deadly
    Panama
    Rock n Roll
    2 Minutes to Midnight
    Spirit of Radio
    Sweet Child Of Mine

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Danny1969 said:
    Yeah it's picked on the original recording ... like this

Love you set, done all those over the years and all of them have gone down well. Used to do loads of Leppard stuff along with Pour some sugar like Animal, Rock of ages, Hysteria,  Photograph, Lets get rocked .... great fun to play 
    Yep - I can`t do that! You can actually hear its picked from his attack when you think about it........

We did Photograph and Animal up until last year when the 2nd guitar player left - actually Animal is a song I really miss playing!

bloodandtears said:
    @newi123 ;  some great tunes in there...

our set list as of last gig...

Living After Midnight
    Just Like Paradise
    Love Walked In
    Hit Me With Your Best Shot
    Tie Your Mother Down
    Synchronicity 2
    Since You Been Gone
    Photograph
    The Chain
    Distant Early Warning
    Whole Lotta Rose

Separate Ways
    If Looks Could Kill
    Crazy Train
    Owner of a Lonely Heart
    Stone In Love
    Breaking The Law
    Wasted Years
    Kiss Me Deadly
    Panama
    Rock n Roll
    2 Minutes to Midnight
    Spirit of Radio
    Sweet Child Of Mine

Played a few of those too! 

Where you guys based - love to come and see those? I keep angling for Just Like Paradise to go in, and I do miss playing Panama. 
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    This will be our set for this weekend. Stuff gets swapped in and out as we go but along these lines (we’re a mod/ indie band btw)

Set 1

Start 
    I Can't Explain 
    Louis Louis 
    Keep On Running 
    Changing Man 
    Travellers Tune 
    That's Entertainment 
    Lightning Bolt 
    Substitute 
    Peacock Suit 
    Day We Caught The Train 
    Going Underground 
    17 Going Under 
    Behind Blue Eyes 

Set 2

Rock And Roll Star 
    Gimme Some Lovin
    Hard Days Night 
    Wonderwall
    Parklife 
    Disco 2000
    She Bangs The Drum 
    Eton Rifles 
    Do Anything You Want To Do 
    You Really Got Me 
    Tube Station 
    Not 19 Forever 
    Jumping Jack Flash 
    Lucky Man 

Encore 

Dakota 
    Town Called Malice 
    Don't Look Back In Anger
  • @newi123 Lancashire pal... Bit of a trek for you no doubt...

My trading feedback

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    For variety, here’s our pop covers set list. We’ve recently dropped some of the 70s numbers, such as Superstition and Long Train Running

Power of Love
    Hungry Like the Wolf
    Good Thing
    Brass in Pocket
    Black Velvet
    Maneater
    Everybody Wants to Rule the World
    Crazy Little Thing Called Love
    Faith
    Africa
    This Love
    Can’t Get You Out of My Head

Beggin’
    Locked Outta Heaven
    Call Me Maybe
    Rolling in the Deep
    I’m Outta Love
    Break my Heart
    Get Lucky
    Its My Life
    My Favourite Game
    Love Machine
    Don’t Upset the Rhythm
    Domino

Cops n Robbers
    Take Your Mama Out
    Love Shack
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Next gig’s set. Along with key signatures, as I can’t be bothered to edit it.

Set 1
    WHAT MAKES YOU BEAUTIFUL - E
    DANCE WITH ME TONIGHT - C
    HAPPY - E
    CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED…- D
    SHOTGUN - F#
    VALERIE - D
    SUPERSTITION - E
    HIGHER AND HIGHER - D
    TOWN CALLED MALICE - D
    I'M A BELIEVER - G
    YOU REALLY GOT ME - A