The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16284
    People are acting like we lost when we comfortably won our first game! 
    I wouldn’t call that second half comfortable when we were only a single goal ahead
    Agree it wasn't a comfortable win - 5 shots and their keeper had little to do, even in the 1st half when we were the dominant team - But a win is a win, especially on the opening fixture 
    5 Shots on goal? Bloody luxury bub

tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10360
    edited June 17
    Hootsmon said:
    People are acting like we lost when we comfortably won our first game! 
    I wouldn’t call that second half comfortable when we were only a single goal ahead
    Agree it wasn't a comfortable win - 5 shots and their keeper had little to do, even in the 1st half when we were the dominant team - But a win is a win, especially on the opening fixture 
    5 Shots on goal? Bloody luxury bub

To give you some sense of hope Hoots, I remember a match where my club team West Brom won 0-1 and had zero shots on target, our goal was an own goal. Tony Pulis era.

Might help you take some positives as it was a nice knock down to assist Rudiger's goal the other night so that could be something to build on
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15379
    tFB Trader

The team in that set up is very unbalanced, if Luke Shaw doesn't play then Gordon has to play.  If we say Foden has to play then TAA has to be dropped and play Bellingham next to Rice and have him in that box to box role than No.10.

I just come here to say this.  Gordon on the left, Foden to number 10, Bellingham to take TAA's place next to, or more likely slightly infront of Rice.

We need more penetration, this would naturally create more for service for Kane, from the left and also through the middle.
    Bellingham is good anywhere, he's the wildcard that will allow other players to get in their preferred position.  

Last night he was defending and also getting in the box, so I don't think it would restrict him getting forward, or back at all.

Mainoo is versatile and can easily come in if Bellingham needs to be pushed forward, if Foden isn't working out.

I've spoke to a few mates and thought about this and think you are right - So still a 4-2-3-1 - But Rice and Bellingham in the holding role, but Bellingham has freedom to go box to box - Aka Gerrard, B Charlton, B Robson, Lothar Matthaus etc  - Saka, Foden, Gordon across the pitch behind Kane 

Rice will have to be disciplined in that role - But flexibility amongst the others - But Foden in the rile he is effective for Man City and Bellingham has that box to box energy/freedom and can join the attack, from deep, as required - He might even find more space and less 'ganging up on him' coming a touch deeper 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Looking forward to watching Belgium

Seriously under achieved many times but on paper a good team 
    edited June 17 tFB Trader
    Based UEFA rankings this is the biggest upset 

Slovakia 1 v Belgium 0

was a good game to watch - both teams had chances to score more - certainly not a bland game 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1776
    wonderful game. A good advert for the tournament. The decision against the equaliser was very harsh, but thought Slovakia deserved it as they worked really hard and defended very well. Attitude is everything and i think thats what won it for slov.

Dont worry, be silly.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2979
    Both decisions on the goals were really close

• RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    Always remember to respect every team that qualifies for any major tournament. Take nothing for granted. Enjoy your teams successes. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2147
    When's the Wales game again?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28420
    Just watching Austria / France.

Why do both teams keep playing the ball forwards?  And try to run with the ball past opposing defenders?

They’ll not grind out boring 1-0 victories playing the game like this!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4153
    That was even better than Bellingham’s header last night.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4903
    edited June 17

Was surprised to see a decision being called by snickometer type technology, I didn’t know it was being used.
    Not sure it made the call, technically it must have made some contact but he certainly didn’t control it with his hand.
    I suppose the new technology introduces new scenarios and interpretations of the rules.

At least it was quick.
  • maroonedmarooned Frets: 73
    Felt a bit sorry for Austria tonight, luck just wasn’t on their side, a couple of iffy ref decisions and an unlucky own goal. They deserved a draw especially in a tough group they’re in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4263
    France look unimpressive tbh, they'll get through as will we but we looked poor too, Germany v Spain Final perhaps. ?
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10360
    marooned said:
    Felt a bit sorry for Austria tonight, luck just wasn’t on their side, a couple of iffy ref decisions and an unlucky own goal. They deserved a draw especially in a tough group they’re in.
    I'm hopeful they can take something from that match and get enough points to hopefully progress, I'm not sure what they've been doing to suddenly improve over the last few years but it's certainly working. Immer wieder Österreich!
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    tFB Trader
    Deadman said:
    That was even better than Bellingham’s header last night.
    marooned said:
    I can't remember last time a Leeds player scored the winning goal in a UEFA tournament 
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1430

Was surprised to see a decision being called by snickometer type technology, I didn’t know it was being used.
    Not sure it made the call, technically it must have made some contact but he certainly didn’t control it with his hand.
    I suppose the new technology introduces new scenarios and interpretations of the rules.

At least it was quick.
    I thought that was weird too.  How can it isolate all the other noise?  At least with cricket it's always going to be used in the same place, a football version has to cover the whole pitch.

Also pointless in this case as the replay clearly shows it hit's his hand.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    sweepy said:
    France look unimpressive tbh, they'll get through as will we but we looked poor too, Germany v Spain Final perhaps. ?
    It's the first game. Teams grow into tournaments and you can't write them off after the first game, whether it's England or France, give them a chance!

Portugal came third in their group in 2016 and they won it. 

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1759
    S56035 said:

At least it was quick.
    I thought that was weird too.  How can it isolate all the other noise?  At least with cricket it's always going to be used in the same place, a football version has to cover the whole pitch.

Also pointless in this case as the replay clearly shows it hit's his hand.

I suspect the "mic" is in the ball.. and in this case it was void of contact thus silent until the hand contact.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31585
    edited June 18
    I listen to the pundits bigging up attacking midfielders like Odegaard, Foden, Musiala, de Bruyne, Rice and all of those yet at international level Antoine Griezemann has to be the most underrated player on the planet- a true great of International football IMO. He was everywhere last night.

I disagree France were unimpressive- they just failed to convert the chances they created.  

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.