The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15374
    tFB Trader
    There are certain players you associate with a particular World Cup - Often they are 'big' for the duration of that tournament and before/after you hear little about them - You could easily reverse it and say there are certain world cups that instantly bring up a particular name and a memory to go with it  - I can think of two such players - Paolo Rossi from the Italian winning side of 1982 - And from Italia 1990 Toto Schillaci - Sadly Toto has passed away, today, aged 59

And from a couple of days ago - Gary Shaw and again young at only 63 - A local lad who made good 

RIP to both players
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Top of the league, We're having a laugh
    And you suggested to me that a top 6 finish was unlikely - Early days for all of us, but you are batting well - And looks like a 2 million pound clause might see Carlos moving back to Leeds - That would please many at ER - Hard to knock Farke as 90 points last year was not to be sniffed at - But at times he has no plan B and favours sticking to plan A, hoping it will work sooner rather than later - He is obviously under pressure, both from the fans - Plus the 49'ers and Red Bull, who have not invested millions in Leeds, for them to remain in the EFL for another 5 years or so
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    There are certain players you associate with a particular World Cup - Often they are 'big' for the duration of that tournament and before/after you hear little about them - You could easily reverse it and say there are certain world cups that instantly bring up a particular name and a memory to go with it  - I can think of two such players - Paolo Rossi from the Italian winning side of 1982 - And from Italia 1990 Toto Schillaci - Sadly Toto has passed away, today, aged 59

And from a couple of days ago - Gary Shaw and again young at only 63 - A local lad who made good 

RIP to both players
    Just found out that Toto scored only 7 goals for Italy - 6 of them in the 1990 WC - So certainly a man for the moment, with nothing offered before or after - But during the tournament he was The Man 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28412
    scrumhalf said:
    Interesting how no Prem clubs put in a bid for Toney. There must be something that they have seen that has put them in off. Ange only wants players with a certain type of mentality, Toney obviously didn't have it.
    The fact that he took the Saudi ££s, and felt the need to enhance his meagre salary with contributions from the bookies, probably says something about his motivations.

Happy that we swerved him.  Not sure that Solanke was the answer though.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10357
    Top of the league, We're having a laugh
    And you suggested to me that a top 6 finish was unlikely - Early days for all of us, but you are batting well - And looks like a 2 million pound clause might see Carlos moving back to Leeds - That would please many at ER - Hard to knock Farke as 90 points last year was not to be sniffed at - But at times he has no plan B and favours sticking to plan A, hoping it will work sooner rather than later - He is obviously under pressure, both from the fans - Plus the 49'ers and Red Bull, who have not invested millions in Leeds, for them to remain in the EFL for another 5 years or so
    I'd still say top six would be the very most we could hope for, in all honesty. Corberan is a good manager but not without his faults - he doesn't really have a plan B either, he does suddenly decide to play players out of position for no apparent benefit, and of course there's the inevitable "out for the season" injuries which tends to start to happen around the beginning of November. 

We only have one striker also - Daryl Dike is set to get injured again in late 2024 as well
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059

RIP to both players
    I seem to have a memory about Toto getting booked during that WC, and giving the ref the wide-eyed "Who, me?" look, but I can't find any reference to it now - did it happen, or did I dream it?

Anyway, RIP Toto and Gary - way too young.

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2978
    scrumhalf said:
    Interesting how no Prem clubs put in a bid for Toney. There must be something that they have seen that has put them in off. Ange only wants players with a certain type of mentality, Toney obviously didn't have it.
    I bet it’s nothing to do with that 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10357
    They just didn't want to take the gamble i guess...
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalf said:
    I don't think he'd suit our style of play anyway. Arteta doesn't want certain characters in the dressing (think Aubameyang) and maybe Toney gave those vibes.

Weird to Champion's League games on Thursdays. Have always grown used to the Tues/Weds games.

Odegaard looks like being out for more than 3 weeks too which is a big worry with City on Sunday. No obvious replacement in his position.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11668
    Dear lord we were shite tonight, lucky to get through. Fraser Forster in goal must have been on LSD, there's no other reason for his performance. Still, the record books don't come with pictures. Just as well, that hideous green kit needs to be binned and burned.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2813
    Shock horror - BBC have a BBC Scotland commentator for the Celtic game on the MOTD programme. I think this is a first!
  • ewalewal Frets: 2813
    And wtf are Man City wearing - trying to think where that strip would be appropriate. Maybe some sort of ice cream shop franchise?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    edited September 18
    ewal said:
    And wtf are Man City wearing - trying to think where that strip would be appropriate. Maybe some sort of ice cream shop franchise?
    It looks like someone put the Spurs kit into the washing machine cycle too many times and all the colours have faded, then someone pissed all over it.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    scrumhalf said:
    Dear lord we were shite tonight, lucky to get through. Fraser Forster in goal must have been on LSD, there's no other reason for his performance. Still, the record books don't come with pictures. Just as well, that hideous green kit needs to be binned and burned.
    Saved by the lad who’s received nothing but abuse from your whole fan base for the last few weeks. Didn’t even look happy he’d scored. 
    tFB Trader
    ewal said:
    I thought the same - worse 2nd kit I've seen
    tFB Trader

joneve said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Saved by the lad who’s received nothing but abuse from your whole fan base for the last few weeks. Didn’t even look happy he’d scored. 
    I watched most of the game to see how young Archie Gray would play - Rabbit in headlights  - God knows what he was doing in that kind of inverted RB role that Pep likes to play - he appeared to spend all night getting into a 'marked position' so he could not receive a good pass - Notice he did not even get on as a sub in the last 2 PL games - Thought Spurs might play him in midfield - Hope they are not going to f*ck up his career

joneve said:
    scrumhalf said:
    I watched most of the game to see how young Archie Gray would play - Rabbit in headlights  - God knows what he was doing in that kind of inverted RB role that Pep likes to play - he appeared to spend all night getting into a 'marked position' so he could not receive a good pass - Notice he did not even get on as a sub in the last 2 PL games - Thought Spurs might play him in midfield - Hope they are not going to f*ck up his career
    I genuinely hope Johnno gets rescued by someone in Jan or next Summer. Get him away from that toxic fanbase - most "big 6" fanbases are the same to be fair. I'd take him back at Forest in a heartbeat if we sell Elanga. 

but even if he goes to somewhere like Leicester where he's appreciated and can flourish. 

The video of him hesitantly clapping the away fans at the end of the game is really sad to see - he looks mentally decimated. 
  • Lucky to get away with a draw last night. Our attacking play was wasteful and again screams out we need a striker. Martinelli not clinical enough as he had two chances to score. Jesus didn't offer much neither did Saka. CL is a big step up from the Premier League and I think we're just short of that quality.

Great penalty save from Raya though and nice to see him tested by making some saves instead of watching the match half the time or playing in the defence! There's people saying he's the best keeper in the world but I think its too early to say.
    Lucky to get away with a draw last night. Our attacking play was wasteful and again screams out we need a striker. Martinelli not clinical enough as he had two chances to score. Jesus didn't offer much neither did Saka. CL is a big step up from the Premier League and I think we're just short of that quality.

Great penalty save from Raya though and nice to see him tested by making some saves instead of watching the match half the time or playing in the defence! There's people saying he's the best keeper in the world but I think it's too early to say.
    Wasn't that great really. Follow up header was slap bang in the middle of the goal which made it an easier save. 

80% of the Premier League GK's would have made that second save. 

Good save? yes. One of the "greatest ever" (as Savage put it) - not a chance 

• joneve said:
    Lucky to get away with a draw last night. Our attacking play was wasteful and again screams out we need a striker. Martinelli not clinical enough as he had two chances to score. Jesus didn't offer much neither did Saka. CL is a big step up from the Premier League and I think we're just short of that quality.

Great penalty save from Raya though and nice to see him tested by making some saves instead of watching the match half the time or playing in the defence! There's people saying he's the best keeper in the world but I think it's too early to say.
    Wasn't that great really. Follow up header was slap bang in the middle of the goal which made it an easier save. 

80% of the Premier League GK's would have made that second save. 

Good save? yes. One of the "greatest ever" (as Savage put it) - not a chance 

He was already moving in the direction the ball was going before the taker kicked it. I guess the follow up save was better. By a bit. Haha.