The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    It's like if I said I supported Millwall too. 
    First "proper" game I ever went to watch was Millwall.

The Old Den.

Early 70s.

vs Fulham.

Fulham won (3-1).

The experience was everything you'd expect it to be ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14213
    tFB Trader
    Might need a google visit to get the answer - But as Port Vale are the only team to have beaten all other 91 clubs, in a competitive match, at one stage or another, then I wonder who is next closest to achieving like wise 

Based on the fact that most current PL teams would not have played the more recent teams to get into L2 or L1, like Forest Green, unless it was a cup match - Then maybe the likes of Bradford and Oldham might be a good guess/bet 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
    CloudNine said:
    Rocker said:
    What the hell is wrong with football?  It has happened again, Everton denied another stonewall penalty and the referee did not use the technology to determine what if anything happened!

To do it once is bad, for this to happen twice in a few week smells of carelessness.....
    Maybe the ref took a look at the ridiculous play acting from half the Everton team throughout the game. Maybe he had in mind specifically the fact that the very same player had been booked for diving (or cheating as I prefer to call it) in the first half. Maybe the ref just looked at Everton and was disgusted by their whole approach to the game, and felt they deserved absolutely nothing.

Anyway, horrible spectacle all round, and all a bit of a sad way to sign off on what could possibly be Everton’s last game at Anfield for a very long time.

;) 
    come on, Refs should be looking at the incident not what has gone before

it was a stone wall pen and not the first one Everton have been denied this season ( Rodri Man City Hand ball ) 
    Everton are in the shit and done what they had to do to out a far superior team off their stride and it worked for a while. 

Regardless of Gordon diving previously that was a penalty all day long , he got across the defender and Matip had to shove him to stop him. Shockingly bad decision to not even look at it on VAR 
    tFB Trader
    CloudNine said:
    Rocker said:
    What the hell is wrong with football?  It has happened again, Everton denied another stonewall penalty and the referee did not use the technology to determine what if anything happened!

To do it once is bad, for this to happen twice in a few week smells of carelessness.....
    Maybe the ref took a look at the ridiculous play acting from half the Everton team throughout the game. Maybe he had in mind specifically the fact that the very same player had been booked for diving (or cheating as I prefer to call it) in the first half. Maybe the ref just looked at Everton and was disgusted by their whole approach to the game, and felt they deserved absolutely nothing.

Anyway, horrible spectacle all round, and all a bit of a sad way to sign off on what could possibly be Everton’s last game at Anfield for a very long time.

;) 
    come on, Refs should be looking at the incident not what has gone before

it was a stone wall pen and not the first one Everton have been denied this season ( Rodri Man City Hand ball ) 
    Everton are in the shit and done what they had to do to out a far superior team off their stride and it worked for a while. 

Regardless of Gordon diving previously that was a penalty all day long , he got across the defender and Matip had to shove him to stop him. Shockingly bad decision to not even look at it on VAR 
    I think that as an overview that the whole VAR culture is better this year than last year - Those silly marginal offside rules have effectively gone were it is only your big toe that is offside - But there are still errors 

I was at a Leeds v Soton match a few weeks ago and our striker was making a run in to the penalty area and was 'bundled' over - With hope, you immediately look at the ref - I was in line with the incident, in the crowd, but could not say for sure that at the time it was or wasn't a penalty - But at 1-1, you kind of hope it would be given - But it was not reviewed by either the ref or VAR - So thought it would be interesting to see it on the box later, via SKY or MOTD - Gary Lineker had it as a penalty and was surprised it did not go to VAR 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4910
    Philly_Q said:
    This is not aimed specifically at Rocker, but the expression "stonewall penalty" is utterly ridiculous, it makes absolutely zero sense.
    You're right, @Philly_Q - I suspect people mean "stone cold" as in stone cold sober, meaning completely, absolutely, undeniably.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    edited April 2022
    Nitefly said:
    Philly_Q said:
    This is not aimed specifically at Rocker, but the expression "stonewall penalty" is utterly ridiculous, it makes absolutely zero sense.
    You're right, @Philly_Q - I suspect people mean "stone cold" as in stone cold sober, meaning completely, absolutely, undeniably.
    Yeah, I think that must be it.  Even then it's a bit silly but it makes more sense than "stonewall".

Another one that gets my goat is "he's spurned a clear chance at goal there".  Oh right, so he deliberately and disdainfully chose not to score, did he....?
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    Stonewall is bollocks.

They may well mean stone ginger, slang fir a dead certainty. 
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3022
    edited April 2022
    I think it comes from General 'Stonewall' Jackson in the American Civil War, for holding off the Union army like an, errr, stone wall?
    I think it comes from General 'Stonewall' Jackson in the American Civil War, for holding off the Union army like an, errr, stone wall?
    Got nothing to do with "there was contact, so he was justified in going down", though, has it?  If anything, you'd be a stone wall if you managed to stay on your feet. 

I think football's probably got more in common with the Stonewall riots than it has with Stonewall Jackson.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3022
    edited April 2022
    Philly_Q said:
    Got nothing to do with "there was contact, so he was justified in going down", though, has it?  If anything, you'd be a stone wall if you managed to stay on your feet. 

I think football's probably got more in common with the Stonewall riots than it has with Stonewall Jackson.
    I was explaining one possible source for the term, but in the sense of it meaning being obstructive. I'm in agreement with you. I don't understand it's application in the football penalty sense either.  I suppose it's by now a football-ism that has caught on. 
    Philly_Q said:

I was explaining one possible source for the term, but in the sense of it meaning being obstructive. I'm in agreement with you. I don't understand it's application in the football penalty sense either.  I suppose it's by now a football-ism that has caught on. 
    Yeah, sorry, my reply wasn't intended to sound so argumentative. :)
  • Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

No worries. Anyway, it wasn’t a penalty in my biased opinion :lol: 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

Yes it was.

:P
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7114
    Blimey , just watched Man City v Real Madrid . What a game 

Not a fan of either club , one for their sudden oil riches (not the fans fault though but I wish the Prem would grow some balls and have a fit and proper persons test that actually works) and the other from what I gather is historical financial favours from successive Spanish governments.

Putting that to one side it was a brilliant game of football with very little tippy tappy probing from City . It was breathtaking at times 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10203
    TTony said:
    It's like if I said I supported Millwall too. 
    First "proper" game I ever went to watch was Millwall.

Fulham won (3-1).

Good!!!!
    Blimey , just watched Man City v Real Madrid . What a game 

Not a fan of either club , one for their sudden oil riches (not the fans fault though but I wish the Prem would grow some balls and have a fit and proper persons test that actually works) and the other from what I gather is historical financial favours from successive Spanish governments.

Putting that to one side it was a brilliant game of football with very little tippy tappy probing from City . It was breathtaking at times 
    My brother just broke his ankle playing grass roots evening footie and he's been watching it in A&E on his phone. He said it was amazing.
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I’ve supported Villa since I was a kid. Much to my Dad’s disgust. He’s a Wolves fan. 
    My first game was Villa vs Spurs in 1988. Been going ever since. Although I’ve moved from Stratford upon Avon to Brackley because of work. Plus I work a lot of weekends so I don’t get to go as often any more. 
    Also I’ve been enjoying going to watch Brackley town these days too. Can’t beat a bit of Vanarama North league!
    tFB Trader
    I watched the MCFC v RM game last night and what a game - Credit to RM to keep in the game as at 2-0 down and MCFC missed 2 good chances the whole game could have been over - All to play for next Wed night 
  • I think Foden is the best English player I've seen in years. His speed of thought is amazing,
    Two footed too which is still a rarity in our game. 
    I think Foden is the best English player I've seen in years. His speed of thought is amazing,
    Two footed too which is still a rarity in our game. 
    Second only to Rice in my opinion.