guitar wiring

What's Hot
Can anyone help me with a guide to wiring  2  seymour duncan pickups, 1x volume control  1 x push pull tone control for coil tap, 3-way toggle switch, 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2461
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    The diagram above splits the humbuckers to their stud pole coils. 

If shorting an entire coil per pickup results in an unacceptably weedy sound, try partial coil split via a resistor à la PRS Guitars.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 44
    Dave_Mc said:
    thanks , Just a quick note i have a  switchcraft 3-way toggle will it still be wired like the one switch  in the diagram .
    I'm not sure, actually- I'd assume so, but I'm probably wrong! Do you have a pic of it or a link to the same one you have?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74477
    The one in the diagram is a Switchcraft type.

The only change you may need to make is that if you want the outer/screw coils of each pickup to be active when split rather than the inner/plain coils, you need to swap the black and green wires on each pickup. (Blacks to ground, greens to switch - and bare wires still to ground.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    The one in the diagram is a Switchcraft type.

The only change you may need to make is that if you want the outer/screw coils of each pickup to be active when split rather than the inner/plain coils, you need to swap the black and green wires on each pickup. (Blacks to ground, greens to switch - and bare wires still to ground.)
    That's what I thought, that it was just the standard "good" toggle switch, but then when he asked about it, I wasn't sure!
  • dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 44
     is they a default option for the outer screw coils of each pickup to be active when split rather than the inner/plain coils?   i am soldering this for a friend i   asked my friend about it and he said he wasn't sure which way .
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74477
    dazzer22 said:
     is they a default option for the outer screw coils of each pickup to be active when split rather than the inner/plain coils?   i am soldering this for a friend i   asked my friend about it and he said he wasn't sure which way .
    Seymour Duncan's wiring diagram with their pickups defaults to the inner coils - this is because it's marginally easier to switch the coil junctions to ground, and their standard coding has green=ground and black=hot. However, most people seem to prefer the splits going to the outer coils.

How many frets does the guitar have? If 24, the neck pickup position makes the inner coils quite useful, as it sounds a bit 'Stratty' because the coil spacing is then not too far off the neck/middle distance on a Strat. If the pickup is in the 22-fret position this is less pronounced, so it's usually more desirable to select the outer coils since that gives closer to the 'Strat neck' sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein