Irrational maybe, but . . .

What's Hot

I have a Squier Contemporary Strat in Gunmetal which I really like, but for some reason the maple board with black headstock face really bugs me.

So I've just had a waterslide decal from eBay turn up and I'm going to strip the black paint off and refinish with some clear.

No idea what it will do to the resale value,but I'm not expecting to sell it anytime soon so I doubt it'll matter much. 

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2461
    I'm not that fond of black headstocks, but I think you're probably right. I can sort of see what they were going for there with the black, but I'd probably prefer plain maple too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3121
    How about fitting a different neck?
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4633
    It will be a 12” radius neck and need a floyd nut 

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4633
    That’s an awesome guitar looks great either way , ive had a contemporary squier that was lovely , almost Charvel like 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8089
    I considered that, but I like the rest of the neck so this seems the easiest solution. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    The Fender convention is that a painted headstock should be the same colour as the body finish.

Black headstock faces with white or silver decals are more yer Jackson, Charvel, Ibanez thing.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8089
    The Fender convention is that a painted headstock should be the same colour as the body finish.

Black headstock faces with white or silver decals are more yer Jackson, Charvel, Ibanez thing.

Yes, I have a Squier Bass VI with a matching (pink) headstock which I'm perfectly happy with, though that does have a laurel board.

It's more the dark/light/dark look which I'm not enjoying - I don't mind a black body/scratchplate with an all maple neck and a dark f/board with a maple headstock looks fine, but the maple board/ black headstock offends my eye ;)
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    Sorry, but it looks like somebody walking around the house wearing nothing but black socks und undercrackers.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    Sorry, but it looks like somebody walking around the house wearing nothing but black socks und undercrackers.
    Which is why Mr C's plan is spot-on. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."