SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SORTED: semi-hollow up to £800 ish - Eastman, Tokai, Yamaha, etc

What's Hot
dombennisondombennison Frets: 128
edited April 2022 in Guitars £
Looking for a new Semi Hollow body, up to £800 ish in budget. Ideally an Eastman, Tokai, Yamaha 335-a-like.

I'm based near Leeds and can travel to somewhere in the north where I can get a train to but I'm also happy to pay for postage

What's out there?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2357
    I'm not selling mine but would thoroughly recommend an Ibanez AM93.  I've had a few semi hollows over the years and this has been by far my favourite.
      It's more of a 339 shape than a 335 but sounds and plays absolutely superb.  I've had no desire to change the pickups either which is usually something I do on guitars.  Don't be put off by it not being particularly expensive, it is really well made.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28248
    Ideally an Eastman, Tokai, Yamaha 335-a-like.

I've really tried to get on with 335-a-likes through the years, but always found the size (and sometimes, surprisingly, the weight) to be too much of a challenge.

PRS SE Hollowbody II for me - though obviously *not* the iconic 335 shape if that's what you're after.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • JamesOB1JamesOB1 Frets: 20
    PM’d you. Have got an Eastman T386 I’m selling and am in York. 
  • GchipGchip Frets: 15
    Hi. I’ve got a Yamaha sa503 for sale in the classifieds here. Not sure how to attach a link but should be easy to find it. Let me know if you’re interested. It’s a blooming great guitar. 
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 363
    I picked up a nearly 40 year old Ibanez AS80 last year for just a little over your budget. The year before, I got a late 90s Guild Starfire 4 for a similar amount. Both are superbly built - the Ibanez in Japan and the Guild in the US - and are noticeably better than the modern models I tried from both companies. I was on the lookout for a Gibson, but, with the exception of very high priced Custom Shop models, the two guitars I purchased were significantly better, particularly in terms of build quality and finish. The Ibanez is closer to the sound of a 335. Might be worth keeping an eye out for something like these if you don't go for something being sold on the forum.
  • dombennisondombennison Frets: 128
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I've managed to get all sorted now - cheers!
  • THR1LLHAU5THR1LLHAU5 Frets: 181
    Out of interest what did you end up getting @dombennison

Out of interest what did you end up getting @dombennison

I went for an Eastman T386 in the end. Still due to pick it up but I’ve had a really good experience with an Eastman I had before so I’m sure it’ll be great!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • THR1LLHAU5THR1LLHAU5 Frets: 181
    Very nice! Never played an Eastman myself. Let us know how it is! Enjoy! 
  • KristoKristo Frets: 131
    Dibs if you don't get on with it :-) 
  • I highly suggest you look at Seventy Seven Exrubato from Japan. My local dealer Fender Fever in London had a few in and they are brilliant. I had it vs an Eastman and the Seventy Seven is fantastic. I have their Stork model (an LP copy and it plays on par with my Gibson Standard at half the price). I couldn’t compare an Exrubato (335 model) next to a 335 having never played a 335 but they are fantastic guitars.
  • Ah - a bit late with my comment. Sorry
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4824
    It doesn't matter now that you are sorted but I was going to suggest that you try one of these.  Much nicer than any of the 335s or Sheraton and a real gem.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    Kristo said:
    Dibs if you don't get on with it :-) 
    I am actually going to list it - not because I don't like it (it's brilliant!) but I've got my eye on something (again...) and selling my 90's Fender Tone Master to fund it and need to sell the eastman to fund an amp now. Let me know if you do fancy it! I'll be listing it later today
  • KristoKristo Frets: 131
    Sorry, been gigging today. Definitely interested, please message me. Cheers. 
    Kristo said:
    Sorry, been gigging today. Definitely interested, please message me. Cheers. 
    I’m afraid it’s sold already I’m afraid mate! It sold almost as soon as I listed it this afternoon