NGD: Gibson Sheryl Crow C&W Supreme

What's Hot

Comments

• Mellish said:
    There's something else about a Gibson acoustic : the smell. 

Any Gibson acoustic owner (whet J45, Hummingbird, Dove or J200 or lower priced models for all I know) knows that smell. What causes it? The glue used? It fills a room.its a smell I find very pleasant "

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    Mellish said:
    There's something else about a Gibson acoustic : the smell. 

Any Gibson acoustic owner (whet J45, Hummingbird, Dove or J200 or lower priced models for all I know) knows that smell. What causes it? The glue used? It fills a room.its a smell I find very pleasant "

Haha I would probably wear that!

I once received a pack of fragrance samples as a gift. One was called Creme De Cuir and reminded me of that smell of a brand new Fender valve amp getting hot. Would've bought a bottle if it wasn't 150 smackers. 

This Gibson smells great. Almost animalistic along the neck, in a good way. Never had a hide glue guitar before - could it be that?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cryptid said:
    This Gibson smells great. Almost animalistic along the neck, in a good way. Never had a hide glue guitar before - could it be that?
    Could be a bit of everything...including the case...I like to put my acoustics back in their cases every now and then for a recharge ;)
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited April 2022
    That's the dog walked.

That bottle looks like something Mrs Mellish would use. 

The Gibson smell is probably a combination of several things. Nice, though  
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited April 2022
    Wow, what a beauty. 

Edited just add, guitar sniffing isn't weird, is it ?  :)  I know exactly what you mean.
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1130

Now you've got me thinking about putting it where you have. How far from the heel cap is the centre of the button?
    I would mate, I don't think it'd look right anywhere else on a Gibson heel. I placed it by eye, but the centre of the screw ended up 23mm from the heel cap. Watching a SC concert, I noticed she places her strap button at the back on the heel cap itself, but I don't like them there as the guitar tends to fall forward. 

Thanks. I'll call it an even 25 mm. Now just need to pluck up the courage to get my drill out!
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
     Congrats on the fabulous new guitar. And good to see some Gibson love being passed around. I have a wonderful custom J45 that is a definite keeper. Gibson rightly get a lot of bad press over their quality control, but I always think if you find a good one then they're just an absolute joy to play and own (including the smell). 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2195
    The Sheryl Crow looks like a really great option, - and probably not a bad long term investment given the limited production and SC signature on the label.  

How does the red stained back in sides look IRL?  

@Fishboy7 ; - can't speak for @Cryptid but I have the same red stained b/s on my Gibson Dove Original. Looks great. If you include the binding, you have red and white instead of brown and white. To me it looks better but YMMV :) 
    Ah well, I now have one of these incoming this week so I see for myself  =)

Tres excited 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5429
    I missed this thread first time around. I've never even heard of a Gibson Sheryl Crow let alone seen one, but I can recognise a happy new guitar owner when I see one post about it. So good for you @Cryptid!
    @Fishboy7 Congratulations :smiley: A fine choice! I'm still besotted with mine - it's a remarkably responsive and sweet sounding guitar. Playability is great, even with the nut a tad higher than I'd like.

I wasn't taken with the red back and sides when I first saw this model advertised, but now it's mine I wouldn't have it any other way. It's not quite as bright and lipstick-y IRL, more a deep cherry. I think it's a gorgeous thing, but then I would say that ;) 

One thing I'd mention is how picky it is about strings. I've been through 4 different sets and although none of them sounded particularly bad, I've never had a guitar where the difference is so pronounced. DR Sunbeam 12's are on it right now and they suit the guitar perfectly IMO. Tonal bliss! Sometimes I'll just strum a chord and shake my head in disbelief. The tension is so low I might experiment with 13s for a little more bass response acoustically, but volume and projection are certainly not lacking. 

It's nice to have a dread with sweet yet commanding mids and highs without much boomy bass. Plugged into a PA, the bass is deep but well behaved. I find myself having to dial a lot of mids out when accompanying vocals but kept flat, it cuts through a mix superbly when playing with other instruments. 

I saw a friend over the weekend who's an excellent Gypsy Jazz player - he tried it and couldn't believe how good it sounded for that sort of material. 

I look forward to hearing your thoughts when yours arrives :) 
    edited June 2022
    @Cryptid ; - I thought about 13s on my Dove but I didn't go there.

I got a set of bone bridge pins from JP Guitars and they give me a fuller sound

At least, that's how *I* hear it. 
    @Fishboy7 ; - so have you got a Sheryl Crow? What do you think?

We want a full report, you know :) 
    Ah, I  got cold feet and cancelled the order in the end.  I also bought a 335 (61 reissue) this week and couldn't justify both.  

Well as long as you feel you've made the right choice, that's good :) 
    Haha, not sure now actually. 

GAK have put their price back up from 3499 to 3899 since I cancelled it though
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6485
    Fishboy7 said:
    Ah, I  got cold feet and cancelled the order in the end.  I also bought a 335 (61 reissue) this week and couldn't justify both.  

Oh, I do love a 335, though. Is there a NGD thread for that?

Fishboy7 said:

Oh, I do love a 335, though. Is there a NGD thread for that?

Sure, I'll do some pics tomorrow.  It is rather a nice one.  
    @Fishboy7 Ahh shame, I was looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. Probably a wise decision though considering your other purchase. 

Congrats on the 335 - sounds like you have great taste in guitars ;) I have an '81 Tokai ES-100 that's been neglected lately, must give it some fuss when I get home.