Which master class

What's Hot
Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4631
It's about time I got better after 35 years of being a pentatonic boomer bender.
Lessons are just a pain in the arse so was thinking of an online master class.
But which one?
Tim Pierce?
Paul Davies?

I already have the Beato book.
Any other suggestions?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Your suggestions still seem to be in the Boomerville postcode* ;)

* not that there's anything wrong with that, per se.
  • This might be a good starting point (I can't vouch for it though...it just caught my eye): https://www.joegore.com/subversive
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    The Time Pierce one is free for two weeks to try it out isn't it? I think he explains things well so that might be worth a look. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 138
    edited April 2022
    Depends what's holding you back. I was an eternal beginner pentatonic noodling since 1976 but when lockdown started I decided to pick up the guitar again and I found Bryan Kelley's site www.zombieguitar.com really helpful filling in lots of blanks
    It was about £60 and you get access  everything on the site (rather than £150 per course like e.g Paul Davids)
    Its not going to be everybody's preference but I like his style. I also bought Paul Davids acoustic course and I didnt like it so much, I like to know all the nuts and bolts of something rather than just learning songs to pick up a technique. Not really a criticism just a different style

Ian
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4631
    What's holding me back us structured learning and I guess a bit of laziness and a goal. The times I have learnt the most was when I was in a band but that is unlikely to happen.
    My biggest beef with a lot of online teachers is there start to explain something then start playing and just stop explaining.
    I watched a few Robbin Ford instruction videos and he is the worst.

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3240
    Goal: what do you want to learn? Don't build an arsenal of chops first...start transcribing and let the chops assemble themselves in the background.
  • Andy Timmons is a melody Master, what a player !
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4631
    What I want to learn is more musicianship, to hear the changes, to be creative when playing over them.
    Also to learn how to learn and to be able to write quickly and uniquely. 
  • Andy Timmons, have a look on youtube
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    What I want to learn is more musicianship, to hear the changes, to be creative when playing over them.
    Also to learn how to learn and to be able to write quickly and uniquely. 
    1. Hear the changes - Listen and transcribe
    2. Playing over changes
       - Level 1, knowing the notes in each chord. Measured in days or weeks
       - Level 2, knowing which notes you can play over each chord, which doesn’t necessarily mean scales. Weeks or Months
       -  Level 3, hearing and reproducing a melody which flows over chord changes. Months or Years
    3. Write quickly - practice
    4. Write uniquely - an enquiring mind. How would this sound ....

What worked for me was listening and transcribing. In the early days I worked out which note or chord was being played by listening, and in which position by trying them out on the fretboard. Nowadays I can also use videos of live performances to look at hand positions. For writing it down I started with pencil and paper. Nowadays I use software, which has the added benefit that I can play back what I’ve written to check the notes and timing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3240
    This might be a good starting point (I can't vouch for it though...it just caught my eye): https://www.joegore.com/subversive
    I can now vouch for this: five chapters in and it's a decent read ;)
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Truefire might be worth a look, something like this: https://truefire.com/guitar-lessons/soloing-changes/c1252 or https://truefire.com/essentials-guitar-lessons/chord-tone-soloing/c1157

I’ve bought the ‘Soloing The Changes’ course (above).  Jeff McErlain is supposed to be a really good teacher & for each lesson, there is an; Overview, Performance & Breakdown, so you learn the theory behind what he is playing.
  • finest1finest1 Frets: 94
    why don't you just go for the content they have already published on youtube and if you still want more you have a good choice. the content they have is pretty good and detailed. that can take months in itself. then when your birthday comes round and you get asked what you would like, ask them to buy the course for you or give you the money.   check out Corey Congilio too
  • wddonaldswddonalds Frets: 2
    You could try Levi Clay’s “Weekly Guided Practice Routines” on his Patreon. £15 a month and he gives you a routine of things to work on every week. Warmups, Triads, Visualisation, Technique etc etc. Posts a video that you can work along with together with.  GP and pdf files. Also has an accompanying Ear Training lesson every week to tune up your ears. He also has a discord that you can join to ask and questions. Highly recommended