Which Tascam to get?

What's Hot
I think I've narrowed down my search for a new home recording unit to a Tascam DP008EX.
However, I've noticed that there's a second-hand Tascam SD32 for sale locally for only £30 more than the DP008EX.
It looks a great bit of kit but might be overkill for what I'll be using it for 
(6 tracks or maybe 8 max).
Bearing in mind I'm no expert on using recording desks and I'll only be using it to record vocals and acoustic instruments (no drums, keyboards or synths), what's the best choice?
Cheers 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    Honestly? A computer, interface and a DAW. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Thanks but buying all that would be well over my budget, take up too much room and take too much time to learn to use.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    edited April 2022
    It depends how many tracks you want to record simultaneously. Although the DP008EX is an 8-track recorder it can only record 2 tracks at a time so if you'll be recording a bunch of musicians it's not the best choice. If it will be just you playing all instruments the DP008EX will be fine as you will record the tracks one at a time. The DP008EX has greater portability due to battery operation but if you don't need that I'd suggest the DP03SD is a better choice.

Edit: I didn't address the dp32sd option. They are excellent recorders but with a steeper learning curve, and it's a much bigger unit. If the one locally is only £30 more than a new DP008EX that would make it £220 which, at half the price of a new 32sd sounds too cheap so be cautious.
  • PetGerbilPetGerbil Frets: 175
    Honestly? A computer, interface and a DAW. 

So, that's £600 for the computer, another £300 for the interface, £70 for software...To record single vocals and acoustic instruments. ? Plus another £1000 man hours to learn how to use it,watching youtube videos. reading manuals etc ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3663
    edited April 2022
    DP32SD is a fine piece of kit and will record 8 inputs at once if ever with a band.  Will USB files to a PC.   The principles are easy to get.  Mastering takes a bit of manual diving though.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Listed in the other thread are my reasons for thinking the Zoom R16 is the ideal piece of kit for this scenario.
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Well, I bought the DP32SD for £200, it's in great nick - just got to find some time to learn how to use it and get recording!
  • PetGerbilPetGerbil Frets: 175
    That's a hell of a deal.! Nice one!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    The new zoom R20 looks like a nice bit of kit
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    PetGerbil said:
    That's a hell of a deal.! Nice one!
    ^^^ This.