Slightly Oversized Humbucker Rings ?

What's Hot
Looking for a bit of a steer from the hive mind on this one.
 I’ve just bought the “TeleGib” body from @maw4neu  and it’s a beaut, I’m made up with it especially for the bargainous deal here did me.
The plan is to build it back up as a Jeff Beck type trib, The only slight niggle is that the routing for the bridge pickup is a tad over zealous and it just, just peaks out behind the rear edge of the humbucker ring, I mean sub 1mm. 
Now I’m sure I remember a few years ago having a slightly oversized humbucker ring. The holes were all in the same place as a standard one but the transition from the flat top to the vertical side was a bit more rounded than usual and so the footprint of the ring ended up being m marginally bigger which I think would do it. Anyone got any idea where I might source a couple of these with a flat bottom in Cream ? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1072
    edited May 2022
    The Anomaly ones are slightly flared at the top and bottom - the size specs are here:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    Good shout @webrthomson wisdom awarded, but not really the aesthetic or indeed price point I’m looking at.
    I think those slightly weird Kent Armstrong pickups from the late 80s came with slightly oversized rings ? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    What's the minimum size you can get away with? I've got a couple of old ones which are 46.5mm wide at the lower edge. They're not in perfect condition but you can have them for the price of a beer if they will do the job.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    ICBM said:
    What's the minimum size you can get away with? I've got a couple of old ones which are 46.5mm wide at the lower edge. They're not in perfect condition but you can have them for the price of a beer if they will do the job.
    Thanks for chiming in chap but that’s a hair too narrow, I think I need nearer 47.5mm
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    You could possibly get some 3D printed or use shallower ring on top of a piece of scratchplate material or the fibreboard @OilCityPickups uses for his dogear shims
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Some of the generic, SE Asian, Metric humbucker surrounds seem to slightly larger around the perimeter than the pukka Hughes Plastics item. Try those.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2851
    normula1 said:
    You could possibly get some 3D printed or use shallower ring on top of a piece of scratchplate material or the fibreboard @OilCityPickups uses for his dogear shims
    Any good sources for 3D printing? I don't really know where to start with that. 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    I bought a set of black rings from Fake58 ( £3.95-part no. PC0743B ) to swap on a Beck style 54 replica, I wanted to black it out, and I found the new ones were just a smidge too wide in all directions, holes didn't line up, couldn't swap them.
    I used the bridge height one on another build, and I have just checked the neck one, measures 46.5 x 92, but definitely wont swap for the  cream one on the 54, not exactly sure what that is, but it is probably something vintage correct.
    Might be worth a punt at Fake58?
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2554
    Another vote for generic import rings, particularly those used by Epiphone - one of the less immediately obvious differences between an Epi and a Gibson is the thicker pickup rings on Epiphones.
    Tim
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 383
    How did the project turn out @DrBob ?

I'm thinking abouot putting a Tele Gib together, although I'm looking at a Warmoth body and neck & it's going to be expensive!