Strat pickups for a smooth, mid-cut mayer-ish tone that don't cost the earth?

Any recommendations?
 Looking for warmth, no ice-pick, scooped mids.
 This is for my old Japanese Kimbara 70s strat so not looking to spend too much. I like the sound of the lace-sensors on my 90s strat plus deluxe so some of those might be an option, but am just wondering what else is out there?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2461
    edited May 2022
    I think the Toltec scooped mids pickup is kind of aimed at that (I think he actually mentions Mayer in the description!). He doesn't seem to have any up on Ebay at the moment (I guess he's just away, he usually does) and the last price I saw for a single one was a fair bit more than I paid (£45 and I paid more like £28 each IIRC... I think he had a few go for around £20 a while ago which was crazy good value), but I'm guessing if you needed a set he could do it for a bit less (don't quote me, though). I know he has (or had, last time he had them up a few days ago) a 50s set for £90 on Ebay so I would guess he could do the scooped mids set for a similar price...

I haven't tried the bridge version of it, though, I just have the middle and neck versions. I assume when you say "ice pick" you mean on the bridge pickup. The middle and neck are very smooth/sweet-sounding, though.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2374
    If it is the bridge pickup you're having issues with, why not connect it to the  middle or neck tone pot?  Can control it then.

'smoothest' pickups I ever had were probably Bare Knuckle  Mothers milk.  I didn't like them personally but might be what you're looking for.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2461
    edited May 2022
    thomasw88 said:
    If it is the bridge pickup you're having issues with, why not connect it to the  middle or neck tone pot?  Can control it then.
    Definitely. Maybe a no-load tone control for the best of both worlds (my idea with that would be no-load for bridge pickup only, then the neck tone control to control both neck and middle)? Also a higher value tone capacitor will smooth things out (very slightly) too. 47nF helps (compared to 22nF), I would assume (but haven't tried) 100nF would do even more.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1791
    A 10 way pickup selector might not tick the exact box you are looking for, but its cheap and does dulling the ice pick and offers a boat load more thicker tones, whilst remaining stratty and maintaining stock sounds. £40 parts , so great if handy with a soldering iron.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    equalsql said:
    This is for my old Japanese Kimbara 70s strat so not looking to spend too much.
    @Alegree ; Old Timer range.

In order of preference:
    Formvar Fifties
    Chimer
    Shimmer

It is possible to mix 'n' match to get what you require. (I have two Chimers and a Blazer rails humbucker in a budget SSS guitar.) The Striker model might combine well with two of the vintage output models.

Probably best to consult the organ grinder rather than this monkey.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.