Do you rest/anchor your pinky finger on the scratchplate when picking?

What's Hot
Switch625Switch625 Frets: 581
I see a lot of tutorial videos on youtube where the teacher is resting/anchoring their pinky finger on the scratchplate for picking, particularly faster parts. I've never got in to the habit of this and when I try it now it just feels uncomfortable and a hindrance. Like it would give me carpel tunnel or something.

Is it something I should work on slowly to get used to or not so important? I'm thinking of being used when playing intros like Paradise City etc. I can see the merit of maybe hitting the right strings more accurately or can I get away without it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26559
    Nope - fist-grip here. It's never really affected my accuracy at all...near as I can tell, it's more of a function of how you started; enough muscle memory, and your hands know exactly where the strings are anyway.
    <space for hire>
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    used to.................for a year or two..................... 40 years ago.............. but not now
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3217
    I've tried to work 'bi-directional pick slanting' into my technique:
    • if I'm downward slanting (for an upward escape), there's some contact because the hand is open...but there's no tension so I don't think of it as 'anchoring'
    • if I'm upward slanting (for a downward escape), there's no contact because the hand is closed
    That's how things feel most comfortable for me at the moment.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1323
    Yep - always have - right hand pinky and indeed ring finger on the scratchplate- even when strumming. It's just the way I play. If it's wrong I don't want to be right.

There is a school of thought that this is incorrect technique and restricts movement / speed of the hand BUT on the other hand Jennifer Batten tells the story of going to Berklee? - and being told off for anchoring her hand. She tried and struggled for 2 weeks to use fist grip - until seeing a famous accomplished jazzer either at the school or on tv ...anchoring on the scratchplate... and she thought why fight it and never looked back.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    When you rest your fingers on the guitar it should be just that - resting. Anchoring your fingers to a fixed spot on the body for orientation is a bad habit. Resting is fine if you play with your hand open
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1323
    edited May 2022
    roberty said:
    When you rest your fingers on the guitar it should be just that - resting. Anchoring your fingers to a fixed spot on the body for orientation is a bad habit. Resting is fine if you play with your hand open
    Someone tell Knopfler he's doing it wrong!!

I take your point though Roberty - but at what point though does resting become anchoring!?

I take the approach of do what comes naturally - if it starts to feel uncomfortable then you are probably doing something wrong and then correct it. You'll soon know.
    Also the trouble with the internet is you can read something / take it out of context and end up going down blind alleys following advice that might not necessarily be in your best interests.!
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Why does it matter?  Just do what feels comfortable.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5399
    There are people who think that it is bad technique. They are wrong. 

There are people who think that it is a necessary technique. They are wrong.

There are people who think that it works for some purposes and not for others, works for some players and not for other players. They are right.

What do the very, very best players do? Some rest, some don't. 

(Do I finger-rest myself? Sometimes. Then again, sometimes I don't.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I'm with @Nitefly and @Tanninif you find it helps, do it :) 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I think I tried it years ago and it felt weird to me.
    I don't know if I do it at all when playing; now it's been mentioned, maybe I'll find out I do!
  • Sometimes, but it's not something I think about.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Nope. To be honest my technique probably  isn't the best, I rest the heel of my picking hand on the body of the guitar. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8684
    None of my guitars have scratch plates, which I think answers the question. When I was learning I thought about it, but I was getting the best sound by playing near or over the end of the fretboard where there was no available anchor.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1922
    Nobody has mentioned the third option where you need to use palm muting. Can't see that being used in conjunction with finger anchoring where you need some notes muted and others allowed to ring out. Think of the intro to "Ain't talkin' 'bout love".

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1829
    Tommy Emmanuel does it and says Chet Atkins did it too. Will somebody tell Tommy him and Chet are wrong?
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5399
    Devil#20 said:
    Nobody has mentioned the third option where you need to use palm muting. Can't see that being used in conjunction with finger anchoring where you need some notes muted and others allowed to ring out. 

I don't think there is any point to finger anchoring if you are palm muting. Both serve the same purpose: they provide a fixed position from which you can more accurately move just the right amount to get exactly the sound you want. (They both also restrict your RH freedom of movement, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you are trying to do.) 

I have always been a palm muter, it's very much a part of my sound. I didn't realise how much I palm mute until I got my upside-down leftie (with the treble strings on top). Unless I consciously adjust, I get a lousy sound on that guitar because the top (treble) strings generally sound awful when muted and the bottom (bass) strings sound boomy and muddy un-muted. 

(PS: I have no intention of changing my ways, I started playing that way (largely unconsciously) because I liked the way it sounds, and I still do. It's just good to be aware of what you are doing.)
  • PALPAL Frets: 533
    Do what ever feels right depending on what you are playing. The little finger on the pick guard/top of guitar works as a pivot
      point and can be handy it insures your picking fingers are within striking distance of the guitar string so it keeps your fingers 
      at an even distance from the string. It's not essential but can work. The best thing is to be able to do play in different ways
      be adaptable and just remember there are no set rules use what works for you. Hope this helps
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Bluegrass banjo players anchor by way of the pinky. There's nothing wrong with doing it on a guitar if it works for you :)