Anyone tried the PRS-copy kit at Thomann for £75?

What's Hot
Harley Benton Electric Guitar Kit CST-24 – Thomann UK

probably a good learning experience, seems very cheap
I'm way too busy at the minute though
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    If that had been a 22 fret version I might well have had a punt.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    It is a pity that the body and neck are pre-drilled for screwed-on attachment. It would be far smarter to glue and clamp the joint. This would prevent creaking noises whenever the neck itself decides to shift in the pocket. (My old EG II suffers from this. Some owners overtighten the screws but this merely causes cracks on the back of the body.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    It is a pity that the body and neck are pre-drilled for screwed-on attachment. It would be far smarter to glue and clamp the joint. This would prevent creaking noises whenever the neck itself decides to shift in the pocket. (My old EG II suffers from this. Some owners overtighten the screws but this merely causes cracks on the back of the body.)
    Fender have been attaching necks this way since, something like 1952, so it isn't that much of a problem is it?
    I am more concerned about the fact that we now apparently expect something that costs less than a decent pickup to actually be worth buying.
    If this kind of thing interests you, I'd get one now, while China is still exporting, in fact these are probably old stock anyway.
    UK customs will probably be doubling the price by the time you have it in hand.
    Signed,
    The Grinch.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    andy_k said:
    Fender have been attaching necks this way since, something like 1952, so it isn't that much of a problem is it?
    Look again at the heel of the kit neck. One pair of screws bites into the full thickness neck, beneath the upper frets. The other two screws bite into a "tongue" of maple approximately 9mm thick. Where the neck transitions between full thickness and "tongue", it is flexible.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    andy_k said:
    Look again at the heel of the kit neck. One pair of screws bites into the full thickness neck, beneath the upper frets. The other two screws bite into a "tongue" of maple approximately 9mm thick. Where the neck transitions between full thickness and "tongue", it is flexible.

TBH, I didn't even bother to look, but now I do, I see the Strat version of the kit is 'only' £58, so I'd suspect the 'PRS' version is at least £17 better.
    Glued / screwed neck joints are another argument that has been beaten to death.
    sincerely.
    The Grinch.
    Here to help.