Marshall Mini/Micro Stacks

What's Hot
longjawlongjaw Frets: 428
edited September 2014 in Amps

Following on from @thecolourbox's Fender 600 thread Marshall MiniMicro Stacks have been mentioned.

I've just moved house and now have a dedicated music room.  I'll be selling off a lot of pedals and other stuff I don't use in the near future so will probably replace the 1980's Fender 15R Sidekick combo I am currently using in the room for something better.

I quite fancy one of these stacks but am only aware of the MG15 model, I've used MG amps in rehearsal rooms in the past and have been far from impressed.

What other models have Marshall made and what do they sound like? Anything to look out for when buying them? Have they all got 2wo 1 x 10" cabs?

The stack will probably only be used in the house as I have a Laney L20H & 2 x12" cab as my main gigging amp with a Blackstar A15 combo for when I feel like a change, plus a MoFo 30W and H & K 18W Tubemeister heads for back up.

Any info much appreciated!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If you've got your heart set on a mini-stack I'd be looking at a Blackstar HT1 or 5 to be honest, MUCH better-sounding than the MGs IME.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 428

Agree, don't think I'll bother with an MG one.

Done a bit of research and it appears the 1980's 3500 head is the one to go for.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    There are four versions as far as I know.

The 80s Lead 12, which is by far the best, the most valuable but also the simplest - just one channel, gain/volume/treble/middle/bass controls. The build quality is stunningly good - almost full JCM800 valve amp standard, including ply cabinet shells (just MDF backs) and they sound fantastic. The speakers are OK rather than great, but still better than the later ones.

The 90s Valvestate 10, which is junk - easily spotted because the head is the wrong way up, basically the top half of the combo it was made from. Sounds weak and very cheaply built. The cabinets are MDF too, and the speakers are poor so best avoided.

The early 2000s Lead 15, which returned to being the right way up, got two proper channels and reverb and is actually pretty good. I can't remember what the build quality is like but I assume MDF cabs and the same chassis as the G15 combo, which is OK.

The recent MG15, which is similar and actually not too bad either. If anything it's the speakers that let it down - I ran one of the heads through a decent cab the other day and it sounded great… better than a TSL100 at equivalent volume :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 428
    Thanks for that - all food for thought! ;)