Reviving amp covering ,special cleaner ? paint it ? recover ? leave its a relic amp ?Pics added

What's Hot
mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
edited May 2022 in Amps
just got a good deal on a redstripe bandit ,sounds great but the black vinyl covering looks battered ,so........
A.   Is there a special cleaner ? something like back to black that the car bumpers use ?.
B. Should i paint it with something?
C.Recover ,but thats a lot of time,trouble and expense.
D.leave it as its a reliced amp and looks cool.

i will try to get some pics up but atm imgur is playing funny bugger !

**edit pics added further down***

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• davrosdavros Frets: 1327
    edited May 2022
    I like to give second hand amps a good clean. Start with a damp cloth, then use simoniz matt finish dashboard cleaner spray. Hides scratches, cleans off the manky stuff and smells lemony!

I wouldn't bother doing anything more unless you want to retolex it, which takes practice to get looking good. Embrace the relicness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    edited May 2022
    **link removed**

I don't know if this link is sharing 2 pics of my amp or my whole album ? not that there's much to see !.

Imgur is a mare

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Don't worry about a Peavey Bandit & authentic patina. Do whatever you want !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    Don't worry about a Peavey Bandit & authentic patina. Do whatever you want !
    just want the dirt off it ,not after anything special.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Clean it with lightly soapy warm water. Then put on some of that milky stuff used for car bumpers/dashboards etc. Just dont put it on the handle as it makes things slippery. 
    Clean it with lightly soapy warm water. Then put on some of that milky stuff used for car bumpers/dashboards etc. Just dont put it on the handle as it makes things slippery. 
    any product names ?
    there you go.

• davrosdavros Frets: 1327
    Yeah, dash cleaner will smarten that up no end
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    It probably will but you can buy flexible vinyl spray paint from Halfords used for seats of crappy cars etc
    works brilliantly for amp Tolex if you are patient spraying and masking
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3141
    tFB Trader
    We've tried everything and found that baby wipes work best for cleaning tolex
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I just cleaned up a Fender Rhodes using dashboard cleaner. Probably my imagination but even some of the light scratches have disappeared. However, use soapy water to remove the dirt first. I used a soap for parquet to get rid of mildew and what’s more protect it from further mildew. 
    Thanks for all the helpful comments ,looks like warm soapy water and soft scrubbing brush , dry with an old t.shirt then dashboard cleaner .
    I will do a before and after pics when done.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    Shiny dashboard cleaner works better than matte but is harder to find.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    lukedlb said:
    I just cleaned up a Fender Rhodes using dashboard cleaner. Probably my imagination but even some of the light scratches have disappeared. However, use soapy water to remove the dirt first. I used a soap for parquet to get rid of mildew and what’s more protect it from further mildew. 
    @lukedlb ;what make dashboard cleaner did you use ?

and used soap for parquet ? i don't understand that bit ,am i being thick ? :#
  • Power-BeefPower-Beef Frets: 214
    A spritz of Cif or similar type of multi purpose surface cleaner spray on a damp cloth, wipe, rinse cloth, repeat. Pledge type sprays would give it a shine, if that is what you're after. Personally I am hseitant about that as I am not sure how the residues woudl react with the tolex in the long run.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    mark123 said:
    lukedlb said:
    @lukedlb ;what make dashboard cleaner did you use ?

and used soap for parquet ? i don't understand that bit ,am i being thick ? :#
    I used AmorAll protectant but I'm sure any will do.
    The soap is the type you used on wood floorings. But let me double check that as I might be getting mixed up.
    just gave it a scrub with soapy water wiped clean ,left to dry then put cockpit shine on ,it looks great for 30 seconds then dries into a horrible matt finish so cockpit shine does not work for me ,on a sidenote the grill cloth is really dusty ,is a hoover too strong ? tried a damp cloth but the grill material is really bumby so doesnt really clean it .
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 401
    WD40
    RickLucas said:
    WD40
    Would your hands would not be covered on lubricant every time you touch it ?