Anyone gone with new Mac Studio?

Anyone got any experiences.

By time I add the memory and necessary hubs/interfaces to a Mac mini, there is not much in it.  Go for the base level Studio. I have the monitors, etc.

Might pull the trigger this week.  Will be Logic and Reaper with some Final Cut 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeWjoeW Frets: 462
    I got my studio last week. Was a bit of a fiddle getting some of the software on it - was replacing a Mac using Catalina not Monterey.  
    It’s an ungraded pro, not ultra processor as I just don’t need the power.  It not very small, the fan is acceptably quiet. The connections are good and it’s very quick at heavy lifting, but I’d have though the software makers would have made the transition to silicon a bit better by now.  I’ll be keeping my old machine for a while yet. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6150
    Beware the noise issue at about 2kHz. Seen it reported a few times now.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3665
    edited May 2022
    Cheers.  That just fan noise, not in the digital system, I assume?

I am assuming apple’s Logic and Final Cut are going to be pretty solid on it.  Reaper ia a utility more than anything for me at the moment.  I do t use much more than stock VSTs and some IRs.

Will keep my old iMac going but will probably do a full restore on it when I have a new machine.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    From reading this thread I looked at the Apple website and discovered that the 27" iMac is now discontinued. The rumour mill says it won't be replaced, which isn't good news in my opinion.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Anyone got experience with a Studio yet?  M1 Max?
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 336
    I'm watching this thread with interest as my 27" iMac is going to need replacing soon. It's a 2012 model and has done well, but is showing its age now. Can't decide between a Mini or a Studio.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    I'm watching this thread with interest as my 27" iMac is going to need replacing soon. It's a 2012 model and has done well, but is showing its age now. Can't decide between a Mini or a Studio.

I've heard a few people say the Studio is a hard sell at the moment because the regular Mini has gone to the M2, but the Studio hasn't so the top spec Mini compares very well against the studio while being substantially cheaper. 

WWDC is in a couple of weeks so it's probably worth hanging on as they might release the M2 Studio.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630

I've heard a few people say the Studio is a hard sell at the moment because the regular Mini has gone to the M2, but the Studio hasn't so the top spec Mini compares very well against the studio while being substantially cheaper. 

WWDC is in a couple of weeks so it's probably worth hanging on as they might release the M2 Studio.
    I was thinking about the M2 Mini, but the ports are too dated and RAM too limited.  I would rather have an M1 with better hardware around it than an M2 that’s with dated hardware.

But yeah, if a new Mini is around the bend that’ll be worth waiting for I imagine.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3665
    edited May 2023
    My old 2012 27” iMac main drive died. 

I went with a M2 Mac mini recently with a 3rd party dock it sits on.  Got the extra internal drive space.   

Dock has loads of extra ports, SD card slot, extra screen output and a caddy for a SSD.. I’ve put a 2TB extra SSD drive in for all work file storage and have another external drive on one of the extra fast ports.  Working it dual monitor.  All for a fraction of Mac Studio cost and with better practical features.