Active PA Speaker Recommendations

What's Hot
ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 231
edited May 2022 in Live
Hi All,

What's the current best active speakers with a balance of lighter weight & higher RMS output?  We've used the usual suspects for a while (Mackie, EV) but the weight is becoming an issue (although we now use stands with crank lifts on them).   We've used a little pair of Alto TX210's, very light at about 7kg but are almost on max volume and struggling.

Anything around under 15kg with >500w per speaker and a 12" driver as the primary speaker?  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3633
    edited May 2022
    The Alto's aren't very loud (max SPL is 116dB I think).  I've always found Yamaha's to be a good solid bet.  I have a pair of the mk1 DSR12's, but they are >20kg a piece.  We used a pair of DBR12's in a rehearsal studio this week and whilst not sounding as good as the DSR's, as you would expect, they are a lot lighter on the back and the wallet.

When comparing specs look at the max SPL (measured in dB) rather than watts.  The figures aren't always directly comparable, as measurement methods are not usually quoted, but it's usually a better indication than Watts.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited May 2022
    If weight is an issue,Have you thought about going passive on the speakers and getting a lightweight power amp? You can get 1000 watts a side amp which weighs under 10 kilos So EV Zlx 12 loudspeakers  14kg Behringer Inuke power amp 5 kilos
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 362
    RCF 710’s are fabulous all round...
  • Not what you're asking, but...

Alto TS310 are 129dB vs 116dB for the TX210. They are also about 50% heavier at 11.9kg vs 7.6kg. I have a pair of TX210 and I wish I had laid out the extra cash on the TS310.

U.
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    I use QSC K12 but they are 20kg, sound massive though and so bloody loud it’s frightening.