"Don't put your pick in your mouth!"

What's Hot
"Don't put this in your mouth!" my mom would always say. I always listened to mom, so when I started playing the guitar, the idea of holding my pick in my mouth to play fingerstyle never occurred to me. Instead, I practised holding my pick between my index and middle finger.

I've seen many guitarists using different techniques for holding their picks and I find that quite fascinating because everybody does it their own way.

Here's a video in which I discuss this topic. Had some beer before recording this episode, hope you won't mind my sloppy playing and speech:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7204
    edited May 2022
    I'm glad you mentioned Chris Buck.  Only a few hours ago I was watching a close up video of him playing in a guitar store and he has an interesting way of "palming" his pick to switch between fingers and pick, but it disables his index finger.  I am quite clumsy.  I can tuck the pick away quite quickly and keep it out the way while changing to fingerstyle, but retrieving it quickly is where i fumble.  I usually just stick it in my mouth where I can't drop it, but I would be stuck if I had to sing also.  I hate the taste that pearloid picks leave on my lips though.  I am probably poisoning myself slowly, which makes me wonder whether there was any scientific basis for Eddie van Halen's suspicion that his metal picks could have caused his tongue cancer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    On the rare occasions that I'm using a plec at all, and want it out of the way, yes I just stick it in my mouth. It's not worth me working out some fancy pants way to keep it in my hand. I am rather impressed with some people's technique to keep it in their hand though.
  • At the end of the day, I don't think it's bad to hold your pick in your mouth. If Van Halen did it, who are we to judge haha. But I think it can definitely be worth learning keeping it in our hand.

If you do it quickly it can even look like a little magic trick.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    At the end of the day, I don't think it's bad to hold your pick in your mouth. If Van Halen did it, who are we to judge haha. But I think it can definitely be worth learning keeping it in our hand.

Ediie Van Halen palmed the pick most of the time 
    or are you referring to Alex Van Halen? :)
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3238
    At the end of the day, I don't think it's bad to hold your pick in your mouth...
    The germs, man...the germs!
  • At the end of the day, I don't think it's bad to hold your pick in your mouth. If Van Halen did it, who are we to judge haha. But I think it can definitely be worth learning keeping it in our hand.

I thought I saw Eddie put it in his mouth a couple of times when tapping. But if he palmed it, it's even better
  • At the end of the day, I don't think it's bad to hold your pick in your mouth...
    The germs, man...the germs!
    Haha true... Especially when playing at a dirty pub. You don't know what those hands have touched 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    I've got a pick on my desk at work I sometimes chew to concentrate!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7846
    Brian Setzer palms the pick using his index finger. 

No, I was referring to Eddie.  Alex would have been more likely to put a drumstick in his mouth than a guitar pick.  Eddie used to frequently put it into the corner of his mouth when he fingertapped.  That was why, after he had cancer on his tongue and had to have about a third of it removed, he wondered whether it was this habit and frequent contact of a metal pick on his tongue that may have caused the cancer.  He was only posing a theory.  Of course the press jumped onto this and made out as though he was criticising doctors that suggested the excessive alcohol and cigarettes were the most likely contributing factor and blaming the picks.  All he did was wonder about the correlation because the affected side of his tongue was where he put the pick.  Oddly enough that's also the side of his mouth that he usually had a fag hanging out of.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1469
    edited May 2022
    I hold the pick against my palm with my pinky and ringer finger, then when I want to switch back I lower my hand and sort of drop the pick onto my index finger and catch it with my thumb.

Means I have my thumb, index and middle fingers available for playing.
  • euan said:
    I hold the pick against my palm with my pinky and ringer finger, then when I want to switch back I lower my hand and sort of drop the pick onto my index finger and catch it with my thumb.

Means I have my thumb, index and middle fingers available for playing.
    Nice one! sounds tricky, I don't think I could pull that off
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    I come from a small village so it's not a problem for me 
    I quickly slip it between the 6th and 7th fingers which keeps it right out of the way
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited May 2022
    I swallowed a plectrum once - I had it between my lips and I breathed in and it just shot straight down like a frisbee and got stuck. My mum rang the doctor and he said “tell him to eat bread - brown bread”. So I did, and it came out a few days later. Now I wear it round my neck, rather than in it. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Have you ever wondered what to do with the cigarette you nonchalantly lit and had a few drags from during the slide guitar, piano and fiddle solos?  No, don't stick it under the 6th string at the tuner.  That's so "Eric Claptonish".  Instead, slip it down to your other fingers and do your own guitar solo as Merle Haggard deftly demonstrates at the 3:14 marker in this video.
  • viz said:
    I swallowed a plectrum once - I had it between my lips and I breathed in and it just shot straight down like a frisbee and got stuck. My mum rang the doctor and he said “tell him to eat bread - brown bread”. So I did, and it came out a few days later. Now I wear it round my neck, rather than in it. 
    Oh my word!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Don’t do something simply because your favourite guitar player does it. Find out what is easiest and most reliable for YOU and do it that way. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    Eddie used to use his first finger for tapping and held the pick with his thumb and middle finger as far as I know .. I did the same once I figured that out. 

https://blog.evhgear.com/2015/07/ask-eddie-how-to-hold-a-pick/
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I wish I could get it in my mouth.

Ahh pick...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4143
    viz said:
    That’s brilliant