SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Collectors Choice 7 John Shanks

What's Hot
frankyknucklesfrankyknuckles Frets: 66
edited March 2015 in Guitars £

I need to move this guitar, so my rock bottom price.

NOW DROPPED for a forum member. I cannot go any lower. This is a fantastic price for this very special guitar.

You must be able to collect or be flexible enough to meet me somewhere convenient.

Gibson Les Paul - Collectors Choice #7 John Shanks

This is quite simply a magnificent guitar. It it with some regret that I have to sell, but needs must and at the end of the day, it is not as important as other things in my life.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i331/db3266/CC7_Shanks/6F4B5C49-A0CE-4034-B3FD-56CA74E59B88_zpssvs7xcqg.jpg

I have a huge photo collection, see the link at the bottom of this post. But to wet your appetite, the specs are as follows.

Vintage Grover Tuners
Wizz Aged Pickup Rings
MojoAxe Aged Pickguard
Aged reflector knobs

Bare Knuckle Mule pickups
MSSC 50's style harness, modified to push/push pot on the neck tone pot for OOP option (Peter Green tones in spades).

I have all the original plastics
I do not have the original pickups
I do not have the original tuners (but I can't imagine why you would want to put them back on)

Comes with a Hiscox Case.
Complete with COA etc.

I am happy to entertain genuine interest and serious buyers who want to try the guitar. All I ask is that we respect each others time.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i331/db3266/CC7_Shanks/B263D835-A1AD-428B-89D1-110DBDE0AA20_zpsdazwb4bk.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i331/db3266/CC7_Shanks/04DC185B-2B77-4080-9E77-4A3F8236C899_zps2fozv4su.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i331/db3266/CC7_Shanks/C4B012F5-AAFF-4BFD-9052-524EBA633020_zpstpyxyhbr.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i331/db3266/CC7_Shanks/P1010447_zps1a1c5ab8.jpg

The top on this guitar is absolutely stunning....

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i331/db3266/CC7_Shanks/file_zps1512e72e.jpg

Hopefully this link gives you a slide show of over 100 photos

http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/db3266/slideshow/CC7_Shanks?sort=3

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i331/db3266/CC7_Shanks/HIscox%20Case/null_zps79ce525d.jpg

1reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lol

I think everyone knows the plastics on aged Gibsons are the same as they put on regular Gloss models and hence look out of place, so all the platic mods I have made really improve the look of the guitar.

The tuners, well, the Vintage Grovers just look the bomb and give the same stable tuning that the standard Grovers do. They make the guitar much more period correct. (the Shanks is actually a 59/60 transition Burst)

More siubjective are the pickups, but you are not really going to get any better than the Mules, they give you any tone you may desire from a Lester Paul and are a balanced calibrated set, the middle position is just outstanding, either in phase or out of phase.

The wwiring harness upgrade is the most common upgrade on Les Pauls, the pots are 500K CTS Custom Audio taper, so you get the best response from the pickups and a very smooth taper with no 'all or nothing' past 7 on the dial, ie, the range from 0 to 10 is usable. The caps are PIO, again, giving some more period correctness to the harness.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankyknucklesfrankyknuckles Frets: 66
    edited February 2015
    edited
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    That is an absolute peach of a guitar, although unfortunately more than I will ever have to spend. Lovely thing of loveliness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That is a thing of great beauty, but unfortunately well above my pay grade. Good luck, it will make someone very happy I'm sure.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • stevenguitarsstevenguitars Frets: 61
    edited September 2014
    I walked into a Sydney guitar shop last year to waste some time 

an hour later and i very very nearly left with a shanks. It was far too close

it was flipping unbelievable

although at $7000 ultimately i just couldn't afford it 

ps. I dealt with Frankyknuckles on MR he knows his stuff and will wholeheartedly give him a thumbs up!

this guitar will be awesome
    edited February 2015

Cheers mate. I appreciate that.

edited February 2015
    Edited
    edited February 2015
    Edited
  • A picture of all the Original Parts (Plastics, pickup converse, Truss Rod Cover), COA, Case Candy etc
    The bell knobs pictured are not original parts, they are aged Gold bell knobs, they are the same type of knob fitted as standard, but the ageing on them looks much better and more fitting with an aged guitar.

As mentioned, the only original items not in the sale are the pickups and tuners.

You can reflect that in any offer you might want to make.
    edited February 2015
    edited
  • Where are the original pickups??
  • In Australia. I sold them.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1362
    Surprised no-one has asked about where the original case is.  So I will.

Where's the original case?
    edited September 2014
    I sold that as well. It was shit. Had terrible latches on it, the case was out of alignment etc.
    Gibson went through a brief bad patch with the newer litton cases.
    Hence I got the Hiscox case, it is lighter, stronger and much more secure.

I would be astonished if a £100 lifton case was a deal breaker.

People need to look at this guitar for what it is, an outstanding Les Paul, with 2013 build specs and plays like a dream.
    It has one off looks, in that it imitates a real burst in appearance.

I can understand people may want original pickups etc, but at the end of the day, they do not make the guitar, the wood and construction of these CC guitars is absolute top of the line.

There are a plethora of PAF replica pickup winders out there. All of which can provide outstanding pickups to get the tones people want (arguably closer tones to a real PAF than what Gibson can produce). Putting great pickups into a great guitar equals great tone.

The Mules I have out into the Shanks are top draw PAF replicas, and they are a balanced set. I found the original pickups to be very powerful on the neck pickup, not something I wanted or got along with. I suppose it is all personal choice, hence to huge array of options open to people on the boutique pickup circuit.

I guarantee the first person to try this guitar will buy it, too many people who have played it have been absolutely floored by it. This is also a resounding review of all the CC7 guitars, there appear to be no bad ones.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Good luck with the sale.
    I am absolutely certain you will sell this. In many ways it is what almost everybody is looking for. But the guitar is now very hard to value. And in that sense, the second post on this thread is accurate. And (arguably) a compliment.

edited February 2015
    Edited
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1362
    I can see that this will appeal to the person who'd want an absolutely top notch guitar and modify it to suit (i.e. yours truly).  Most people would probably not dare mod a stock CC, but seeing as it's already been done, it'd be a no-brainer to go all the way.

If only I had that kind of cash...
  • modding a CC is just the same as modding a standard Reissue, you do it to taste.
    My two guitar heros are Peter Green and Eric Clapton. Hence, I have an OOP middle position option with the push/push pot, and the Mules give me Clapton Beano era and Clapton Cream era tones in spades :-) and at the push of a knob, i'm right back in Peter Green tone heaven.

The best bit about the push/push is that is does not affect the in phase tones, hence the middle position in phase (i.e. normal) gives outstanding tones and allows for a huge range of styles (Kossoff is another hero, he used the middle position quite a bit).
    edited March 2015
    edited