Fret numbers or not

What's Hot
HelenHelen Frets: 6
Am fairly new to guitar and trying to play Romance de amor grade 1 classical guitar. Am struggling to understand the little numbers next to the notes. It would suggest these are the fret numbers but there is a 4 next to a high A which would usually be string 1 fret 5 and sounds better like this. And a 1 next to a high G which would usually be string 1 fret 3. There are no flats or sharps in the score so I am now questioning what these numbers actually are. Any ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MrTeeMrTee Frets: 506
    Fingers? 1234/index middle ring pinky?
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3235
    MrTee said:
    Fingers? 1234/index middle ring pinky?
    This ^

Numbers indicate fretting hand fingers.

Letters indicate plucking hand fingers: p (thumb) i (index) m (middle) a (ring) and sometimes c (pinky).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7185
    If you are wondering about the P, A, and C, it is from the Spanish words for those fingers:
    P = pulgar (thumb)
    I = indice (index finger)
    M = medio (middle finger)
    A = anular (ring finger)
    C = chico (pinky)
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3235
    There's a French system too (of course there is!)...luckily it's almost identical:
    p = pouce
    i = index
    m = majeur
    a = annulaire
    pt = petit doigt
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    If the numbers are circled, then it's telling you what string to play. If they're not, then it's telling you which (fretting hand) finger to use, as said above.
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 240
    And when you see Roman numerals above the stave that gives the position (fret number) for your hand.

Just learned that. One outcome of lessons with a classical guitar player.
  • HelenHelen Frets: 6
    OMG thank you so much. I did wonder if it was but when I saw —3 on a note and —1 I thought surely not. But the penny has just dropped, it’s not a minus it’s at an angle and it’s telling you to slide the same finger to the next fret to play the next note with the same finger. 
    And yes MadMick def worth paying for lessons, altho that’s what got me into it. Paid for both my daughters to have 5 lessons and I watched and enjoyed it more than them. They gave up and I thought well why don’t I try as we have all the equipment and basic knowledge, just always thought the numbers were the fret number and more often than not, on the beginners tunes it is, so I was baffled and so pleased to have this forum. I’d put down the guitar, baffled and lost interest for a few weeks and now I have my mojo back haha 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom