John McLaughlin 4th Dimension

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3527
    DefaultM said:
    boogieman said:
    DefaultM said:
    Shit I dunno whether to go. I'm a big fan and I've never seen him, but I really don't care for the 4th Dimension stuff. 
    I’d go. He’s knocking on 80, I know he’s well preserved for his age but it might be the last chance you’ll get to see him play. There’s also the chance he’ll play some Mahavishnu material, he has revisited it before on the Live at Ronnie Scott’s album. 
    My wife said the same and that I have to go, because she's not hearing me saying I never saw him when he dies. So now I've got a ticket to a show  :)
    Excellent.

I can't catch any of these shows, but I did at least see Remember Shakti with U Srinivas (RIP)..Jesus, nearly 20 years ago...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15958
    Anybuddy seen any reviews from the past week or so?
    tae be or not tae be
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    Saw some fan comments on the Barbican gig this morning. Apparently the band were brilliant, but then they’re fans so I wouldn’t expect much else.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 851
    The Barbican show was excellent.
    But he is not blazing like he used to or playing as much, and in fact the sound wasn't that good IMO - you couldn't always hear him above the rest of the band.  There is a lot more konokol (Indian-style scat singing).
    Barot and Husband were very impressive in their duet spot.  It's a fantastic group of players and if he was cruising a bit then that's to be expected as he is 80!

edited June 2022
    Was at the gig last night and was expecting JmcL to have slowed a little and even perhaps phoned in some of the gig but he was having none of it 

80? quite remarkable TBH and all the conversation i could hear within ear shot was 100% approval and awe

A mixed bag gig with some lovely ballads c/w Santana like sounds and tones. The laptop tone, random slapback and chorus was gone and that tic he had with whammy bar was kept tae a minimum

50 years I have been going tae his concerts and I probs won't be going back, mixed feelings tonite

Gary Husband is for me an even better drummer than the drummer proper but his keys were a little low in the mix for my taste.

The bass players sound was MUDD and was a shame as he obviously has CHOPS to die for

I am home with the venue poster 

Jeff Beck two days later in Glasgow but not for me.....I'm WHACKED!
    tae be or not tae be
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    Sounds a good night Hoots, glad you got to see him this time round. Wish I could’ve made the Barbican gig but hey ho.   

The bassist was hard to hear on the last tour as well, I wonder if it’s down to the glove wearing thing? Like you say, he can obviously play but I much prefer a zingier tone. 

Gary Husband is incredibly versatile ain’t he? I do like Ranjit Barit, though Billy Cobham was my all time favourite Johnny Mac drummer. 
    Boogie, BC's snare work is off the charts, but Denis Chambers was my fav  :)
    tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom