Gervais: Super Nature

What's Hot

Comments

• GandalphGandalph Frets: 1568
    Gandalph said:
    Paul_C said:

I knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread.

As someone who knows a number of trans people and sees daily the sort of shit they have to put up with, I'm not going to stick around with people who think that abusing them is "funny", and passing off any complaint as woke is bullshit.

It's a shame we can't be nicer to each other, but there you go.
    Tell them to man up and grow a pair. 

Oh hang on....
    Really?

Yes really. 

Remember when you used to be able to tell a joke without offending everyone. 

And no before you start I don't dislike or have any issue whatsoever with transgender people. 

Live and let live as long  as you are  not harming anyone else. 

Woke people on the other hand, I do have a problem with. 
    I'll happily tell or share an offensive joke just to ruffle their precious little feathers. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    I always amazed when a gay man uses the phrase "woke" as an insult when there is a significant proportion of humans who think that gay people having any rights at all is "woke."

Woke isn't an insult. It's a badge of honour gained by giving a shit about others who have been subject to oppression over decades.

Bit of a leap there- I made an observation and at no point did I insult anyone.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Oh dear, this is going well...  What a surprise that isn't.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Gandalph said:
    Gandalph said:
    Paul_C said:

As someone who knows a number of trans people and sees daily the sort of shit they have to put up with, I'm not going to stick around with people who think that abusing them is "funny", and passing off any complaint as woke is bullshit.

Oh hang on....
    Really?

Yes really. 

And no before you start I don't dislike or have any issue whatsoever with transgender people. 

I'll happily tell or share an offensive joke just to ruffle their precious little feathers. 

Fun facts to ruffle precious feathers. I suppose they should all have a big laugh about themselves, because everyone laughing at them is doing so from a place of genuine love and acceptance

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23925
    Gandalph said:
    Gandalph said:
    Paul_C said:

Oh hang on....
    Really?

Yes really. 

They were offended. They were just too scared of your reaction by stating it.
    "Can't take a joke" is the usual answer for those who don't give a crap about other people.

If you belittle someone's existence then you are harming them.

The usual thought experiment applies. If you tell a trans joke that you wouldn't have told about a person of colour or a disabled person or any other "target" then the bigotry is still there, it's only the target has changed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    Some of it was funny, some of the trans stuff really wasn't. A mixed bag for me but I think that I like him less and less the more I hear him speak.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    edited May 2022
    Gandalph said:

Yes really. 

I remember when it was acceptable to punch down and make jokes about women, minorities, LGBT people and whoever else because there was no way for them (or people who weren't part of that group but didn't find it acceptable either) to respond to the people with the microphone to tell them how unfunny it was. I'm quite happy we don't live in that world any more.

People who tell offensive jokes just to "ruffle feathers" aren't brave culture warriors, they're arseholes advertising the fact that they don't give a shit about anyone who isn't like them.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    I always amazed when a gay man uses the phrase "woke" as an insult when there is a significant proportion of humans who think that gay people having any rights at all is "woke."
    There's hardly anyone who thinks that gay people having rights is 'woke'. In the UK, for example, homosexuality is now perfectly mainstream, and in countries where homosexuality is illegal or otherwise frowned up, there is no such concept as 'woke' because such ideas would never even get a foothold.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Brize said:
    There's hardly anyone who thinks that gay people having rights is 'woke'. In the UK, for example, homosexuality is now perfectly mainstream, and in countries where homosexuality is illegal or otherwise frowned up, there is no such concept as 'woke' because such ideas would never even get a foothold.
    Semantics of woke is not a good argument.

The fact that other countries describe those who support the rights of others in a different way does not change the concept.

Bleeding Heart Liberals was a previous version. Language changes over time.

I can name 3 people in my extended family who thinks the OP shouldn’t have any rights at all. Their views on trans people are even worse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Brize said:

The fact that other countries describe those who support the rights of others in a different way does not change the concept.

I can name 3 people in my extended family who thinks the OP shouldn’t have any rights at all. Their views on trans people are even worse.

And that is precisely why Gervais needs to parody these idiots. He is holding a mirror up to society and the only thing that is objectionable is the mirrored image.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I'm not sure if this is still a discussion about the Ricky Gervais show or if it's turned into another general debate about wokery.

I feel like I need to watch the programme - much like the Jimmy Carr one a few months back - to see what he actually said, and how he said it, before expressing any opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2955
    Brize said:

I'm willing to bet those people think that Alf Garnett is the ''hero'' of Till Death Us Do Part, when in fact he is the butt of every joke in every episode, and never came out on top in any episode.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    edited May 2022
    jesus H

they'll be saying drummers have feelings next
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11302
    I'm willing to bet those people think that Alf Garnett is the ''hero'' of Till Death Us Do Part, when in fact he is the butt of every joke in every episode, and never came out on top in any episode.
    I was thinking precisely the same thing.
    Brize said:

Not at all.

Most surprisingly they don’t have a problem with people of colour.

They are actually highly educated professionals. Makes it worse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2955
    bertie said:
    jesus H

Lets no get carried away here, next you'll be saying lefties and gingers should be included in the equality act, and treated like equals.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    bertie said:
    jesus H

Lets no get carried away here, next you'll be saying lefties and gingers should be included in the equality act, and treated like equals.

A right wing person denying people their rights based on their identity. Hmmmm. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I don't watch comedy, or rather, it's not something that I choose to put on, but I do think that Ricky is an amazing comedian and incredibly talented chap.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    edited May 2022
    bertie said:
    jesus H

A right wing person denying people their rights based on their identity. Hmmmm. 
    that's a big assumption   -    who's right wing ?   just cos you're anti left w doesnt make you right w (and vicy verci).............. be in the middle,  then you can lampoon both   
    double bubble for a lot less trouble
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    bertie said:
    jesus H

And Gervais also described himself as a minority "White, heterosexual multi-millionaire." 

We mustn't leave them out of the equation.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.