Dexterous, ambidextrous, or sinister?

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9653
Inspired by the thread about pedalboards working from right to left…

How did it ever come about that being left-handed was, until relatively recently, considered wrong? Even the word sinister doesn’t have great connotations does it?

I have an early memory of one of my grandparents rapping my (left) knuckles for using my left hand! I also recall at school dinners being told to hold my knife and fork the ‘correct’ way round. As an adult I’m ambidextrous when it comes to cutlery, tools, etc, left handed for a small number of things, but generally have a slight preference for right-handedness. I’ve often wondered if things would be different if I’d been allowed to develop my own ‘handed-ness’. I suspect a bit more ambidextrous but of course I’ll never really know.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    the "sinistral"  I think comes from a type of snail shell spiral ?    and the whole left handed from swords and other hand held weaponry 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24163
    My mum is naturally left handed but was forced to write right handed at school because lefties are evil and in league with satan.

Needless to say, it was a Convent School.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14164
    edited May 2022 tFB Trader
    I can recall a visit with my daughter, lot younger then, to either Beamish (N East) or the Black Country Museum - They encouraged kids to sit in a real life 'Victorian/Georgian' class room for an hour - The teacher asked if anyone was left handed and  a few kids said yes - She said sign of the devil and told everyone it would be taught out of you - Remember then that just about all education was run by the church - Not sure how correct this was, but it stuck with me

Not sure if true or not by I was told that left handed people are generally far more ambidextrous - Think it came from a cricket chat one day - As they were talking about Broad, Anderson and Stokes who all bowl right handed yet bat left handed - And there are many other examples

There is a host of famous and very talented guitar players who are left handed, yet play the 'conventional/right handed' way

AL ANDERSON - BILLY BOB THORNTON - BILLY CORGAN - BOB BROZMAN - BRUCE COCKBURN - CALVIN NEWBORN - CARL WILSON - CHRIS MARTIN (Coldplay) - CHRIS REA - DANNY GATTON - DAVE HOLE - DAVID BOWIE  DAVID BYRNE  DUANE ALLMAN  ELVIS COSTELLO  ERIK DARLING (The Rooftop Singers)  GARY MOORE  GEORGE BARNES  GEORGE VAN EPS  GILES HEDLEY (Giles Hedley Blues Band, The Aviators)  INORAN (a.k.a. INOUE KYIONOBU)  JANICK GERS (IRON MAIDEN)  JIMMY RAINEY  JOHN WETTON (KING CRIMSON)  JOHNNY WINTER  JULIA ROBERTS  KEANU REEVES  KEITH CARRADINE  LEFTY FRIZZELL  MARE WINNINGHAM  MARK KNOPFLER  MICHAEL ANGELO BATIO  MICHAEL BLOOMFIELD  MICHAEL HEDGES  NICK LOWE  NOEL GALLAGHER (Oasis)  PASCAL PERIZ  PAUL LE MAT  PAUL SIMON  PHIL HILBORNE  PRESTON REED  RIK EMMETT (Triumph)  ROBERT FRIPP  RUVANE KURLAND  STEVE CROPPER   STEVE MORSE  TED GREENE
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2975
    I can recall a visit with my daughter, lot younger then, to either Beamish (N East) or the Black Country Museum - They encouraged kids to sit in a real life 'Victorian/Georgian' class room for an hour - The teacher asked if anyone was left handed and  a few kids said yes - She said sign of the devil and told everyone it would be taught out of you - Remember then that just about all education was run by the church - Not sure how correct this was, but it stuck with me

Not sure if true or not by I was told that left handed people are generally far more ambidextrous - Think it came from a cricket chat one day - As they were talking about Broad, Anderson and Stokes who all bowl right handed yet bat left handed - And there are many other examples

There is a host of famous and very talented guitar players who are left handed, yet play the 'conventional/right handed' way

AL ANDERSON
    BILLY BOB THORNTON
    BILLY CORGAN
    BOB BROZMAN
    BRUCE COCKBURN
    CALVIN NEWBORN
    CARL WILSON
    CHRIS MARTIN (Coldplay)
    CHRIS REA
    DANNY GATTON
    DAVE HOLE
    DAVID BOWIE
    DAVID BYRNE
    DUANE ALLMAN
    ELVIS COSTELLO
    ERIK DARLING (The Rooftop Singers)
    GARY MOORE
    GEORGE BARNES
    GEORGE VAN EPS
    GILES HEDLEY (Giles Hedley Blues Band, The Aviators)
    INORAN (a.k.a. INOUE KYIONOBU)
    JANICK GERS (IRON MAIDEN)
    JIMMY RAINEY
    JOHN WETTON (KING CRIMSON)
    JOHNNY WINTER
    JULIA ROBERTS
    KEANU REEVES
    KEITH CARRADINE
    LEFTY FRIZZELL
    MARE WINNINGHAM
    MARK KNOPFLER
    MICHAEL ANGELO BATIO
    MICHAEL BLOOMFIELD
    MICHAEL HEDGES
    NICK LOWE
    NOEL GALLAGHER (Oasis)
    PASCAL PERIZ
    PAUL LE MAT
    PAUL SIMON
    PHIL HILBORNE
    PRESTON REED
    RIK EMMETT (Triumph)
    ROBERT FRIPP
    RUVANE KURLAND
    STEVE CROPPER
    STEVE MORSE
    TED GREENE

So many heathens,  and bloody petrol is at an all time high.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7153
    As @bertie has mentioned, being left-handed has had advantages and disadvantages through historical warfare.  Left-handed soldiers are able to thrust the sword around a solid spiral staircase (as found in castles and other old buildings) at an adversary while still using the stonework to shield themselves.  They are obviously at a disadvantage on a staircase that is anticlockwise, and vice versa for right-handed soldiers.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14164
    tFB Trader
    My mum is naturally left handed but was forced to write right handed at school because lefties are evil and in league with satan.

Needless to say, it was a Convent School.
    That goes with what I was told - see above post 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    BillDL said:
    As @bertie has mentioned, being left-handed has had advantages and disadvantages through historical warfare.  Left-handed soldiers are able to thrust the sword around a solid spiral staircase (as found in castles and other old buildings) at an adversary while still using the stonework to shield themselves.  They are obviously at a disadvantage on a staircase that is anticlockwise, and vice versa for right-handed soldiers.
    TBF, it's not the sort of thing you're going to be doing everyday though. 
    Kilgore said:
    BillDL said:
    you may say that...................
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    bertie said:
    Kilgore said:
    BillDL said:
    you may say that...................
     Elite medieval knights in the Special Spiral Staircase Service.  :3
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28284
    Ambidextrous is very rare, it's being equally good with either hand. Most people who say they are, aren't.

I'm 'either-handed', in that I will use either hand for most tasks. I can't swap hands for racket sports (hence not ambidextrous), but I use either left or right hand for most things without a second thought.

Weird thing: I work all day on a mac doing graphics. I use the mouse exclusively left handed at work and exclusively right handed at home. In the old days I used a mac and a PC at work, I used to get strange looks as I would sit there with a hand on each mouse to do work at times!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22685
    There seem to be a few random actors in that list of lefties who play guitar righty.  Maybe they play guitar as well.

Might as well mention Eric Gales, who's right-handed but plays left-handed.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I'm crap at wanking with my left hand. All the "It feels like someone else is doing it." is just a load of bollocks

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22685
    BillDL said:
    It also depends on whether you're going up or down.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1467
    The majority of fencers are left handed apparently. 

One story I remember the “evilness” of being left handed was because people were taught to each with their right and wipe their ass with their left. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    euan said:

One story I remember the “evilness” of being left handed was because people were taught to each with their right and wipe their ass with their left. 

Left-handed wiping? That could get messy.

I'm crap at wanking with my left hand. All the "It feels like someone else is doing it." is just a load of bollocks
    It's easy for you, some of us are burdened with such excessive length and girth that we have to use both. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    Ambidextrous is very rare, it's being equally good with either hand. Most people who say they are, aren't.

I'm 'either-handed', in that I will use either hand for most tasks. I can't swap hands for racket sports (hence not ambidextrous), but I use either left or right hand for most things without a second thought.

Weird thing: I work all day on a mac doing graphics. I use the mouse exclusively left handed at work and exclusively right handed at home. In the old days I used a mac and a PC at work, I used to get strange looks as I would sit there with a hand on each mouse to do work at times!
    I'm very "either handed" I switch stances when boxing or doing judo etc and naturally swap hands when playing racket sports. 
    Ironically the thing I can't do equally well left handed is writing- my very traditional primary school teacher "strongly encouraged" me to write right handed- you'll be unsurprised to hear it was an RC school. 

I actively encourage my kids to swap if they want to- my youngest always writes right handed and draws/paints with her left. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26870
    euan said:

Not the majority. But a higher than average proportion of good fencers are lefties. It's much harder to fence against a leftie, because you can't practice against them as easily (even if you're left handed yourself, though obviously your opponent would also have similar difficulty against you)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited May 2022
    euan said:

the bloke who did ours wasnt,  nor  the chap who fitted the gate
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2975

This is where you're showing your inexperience, friends have told me, that you're supposed to lay on you left arm, or hold a golf ball tightly under you left armpit, until you lose all feeling in it, then it feels like somebody else is doing it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom