Splitting holiday cost, what would you do?

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    You’ll find you can avoid this kind of situation by not having any friends. 

That's what I was thinking.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7207
    I would phone the drug squad and customs before you set off, supply her full details, and tell them that she is probably in possession of Class A drugs and possibly also a firearm, but that the party she has tagged onto knows absolutely nothing about this.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    Split between the adults. Whys she wanting to go on holiday with 2 couples and kids though? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    Split what?  Surely she sees that there's no logic in her having to pay for your seats in the plane anymore than it makes sense for you to pay for her invisible companions in her room.

Assuming all the rooms are equal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3670
    edited May 2022
    Per person.. 20% or a similar partial reduction. She is being taken advantage of otherwise.  She can have the smallest room as others say.

Will she be doing a share of babysitting too?  Paid?   You really going to ask her to pay 1/3 of meals & supplies?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    My instinct - since it's a villa I'd split 5 ways and let the couples get first pick of the rooms. 

HOWEVER... MrsF wisely says each room should pay 1/3. Her (quite sound) logic being if there was a teenager involved and you need a 4th room, their parents would pay for that room, which is exactly what would happen if it was a hotel instead. 

As a gesture of goodwill I as part of a couple would want to make up a little via paying meals/drinks/groceries etc.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28139
    I would demand that she present her case in the form of interpretative dance. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Dont let this become an argument - be the better person

• barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 628
    edited May 2022
    Dont let this become an argument - be the better person
    Completely agree with the first bit – couldn't bear to fall out with a friend over something like this.

But the second bit is unfair to the single person, who's being asked to subsidise everybody else. As others have said, you're paying for more than a bed when you rent a property. If she suggested that she sleep on the sofa to free up the other bedroom for the kids, would the OP then be happy for her to pay nothing at all?

Have done several holidays with a mix of couples with kids, couples without, and singles – with the cost of the house always split equally between the adults. Being together with those people was always the point, and everybody compromised in some way with that in mind.

Much harder to swallow compromise, I appreciate, if you have friends of friends tagging along, and you're not one close-knit group.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7413
    edited May 2022
    There's no right and wrong of it, only your relationship with each other.

The couples may see it as "you take 1/3 of the sleeping space, you pay 1/3 of the price" and the single person may see it as "2 working age adults are paying 1/6 each and I'm paying double that"

Neither are wrong. 

But it's not about economics, it's about relationships - decide based on that 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Is she fit? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    I can see your point, but it's a villa, not just hotel bedrooms

If you split it 3 ways equally, you could argue that the spouses and children are getting use of the rest of the villa for free

How old are the kids?

How much extra cash are we talking about here?

As it stands, it sounds like a bad atmosphere holiday will be hard to avoid
    How are restaurant bills going to be split? 

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
     jonnyburgo said:
    Going away to Greece in July, a villa, 3 bedrooms, 2 couples with one child each and a single person, each party has a double bedroom. We (the couples) think it should be split across the 3 rooms equally, single person is putting her foot down a bit and saying it should be split between the 5 adults so we (the couples) pay more for squeezing into one room while she has a double room to herself, what you all think? 
    and that question goes to mother and youngest child
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    bertie said:
     jonnyburgo said:
    Going away to Greece in July, a villa, 3 bedrooms, 2 couples with one child each and a single person, each party has a double bedroom. We (the couples) think it should be split across the 3 rooms equally, single person is putting her foot down a bit and saying it should be split between the 5 adults so we (the couples) pay more for squeezing into one room while she has a double room to herself, what you all think? 
    and that question goes to mother and youngest child
    My childhood claim to fame that our neighbours won a series of Ask the Family. The Heptenstals from Wolverhampton oh yes indeedy. 

Anyway, having slept on this I haven't changed my mind. It's not a hotel so I don't think it works quite like that. There are also variables that maybe we don't know about. Is the single person well off and the families are struggling or vice versa? How are you going to split the food bills? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Cancel it.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    3rd of the space, 3rd of the price. The kids could have that room if she wasn't in it. If the shoe was on the other foot it's what I'd be expecting to pay if I was the single person. Although, if they don't want to I'd say ok, fair enough, not make an issue of it and let them pay what they want but not go away with that person again.
  • pedalopedalo Frets: 178
    Split the cost per adult for sure. Very harsh expecting them to pay the same with no kids either. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Split the cost evenly. Reference that, bitterly, at least once a day, every day for the whole holiday.

You won't have to worry about having the same problem next year.

You're welcome :)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Cost per adult without a shadow of a doubt. Hotel and I'd be saying differently, but its the whole villa. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    If I was the single one, I'd pay 1/3

I'd say pay the extra yourself if it won't really annoy you to the point of spoiling the holiday. If not, then cancel or leave the singleton out of the plan