Eric Gales

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4701
edited May 2022 in Music
He's on the cover of Guitarist magazine this month, being cited as the best in the world. It's been said by JoBo and many others too.

And I've just paid £25 to go see him at an ex working mens club in York.  How good is that.
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7201
    He’s awesome , seen him a few times and he gives 100 pct every time 

Here he is with another legendary guitarist

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I bought one album many years ago and absolutely loved it. I need to get some more, I would certainly go and see him live. I love that brand of fiery blues.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    No London or SE dates? Or has he played already?
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4701
    Hampshire is the closest to you....

• AflfAflf Frets: 24
    rlw said:
    He's on the cover of Guitarist magazine this month, being cited as the best in the world. It's been said by JoBo and many others too.

And I've just paid £25 to go see him at an ex working mens club in York.  How good is that.

Doesn't JoBos management company also take care of Eric Gales?
    Besides that, fantastic player and showman.
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    Mrs M1ck and I got to see him at the beginning of April, at Whitley Bay Playhouse, sadly the Playhouse was only half full but he still gave us a good show,  he’s on at The Cluny soon (those in the North East may know the Cluny as a live music venue) standing only though! Unfortunately I don’t think I could stand through a full gig with a support act these days! Otherwise I’d go and see him again (definitely will the next time I can sit down!)
    I think the Playhouse was one of his last gigs on his recent uk tour, but he’s back in June for a handful of gigs

https://www.ericgales.com/tour-schedule
    rlw said:

You might get to meet him after the show too he did a selfie/cd signing session thing after the Playhouse gig.

anyone sitting on the fence about seeing him get off and go - I don’t think you’ll be disappointed - we weren’t. 
  • M1ck said:
    Mrs M1ck and I got to see him at the beginning of April, at Whitley Bay Playhouse, sadly the Playhouse was only half full but he still gave us a good show,  he’s on at The Cluny soon (those in the North East may know the Cluny as a live music venue) standing only though! Unfortunately I don’t think I could stand through a full gig with a support act these days! Otherwise I’d go and see him again (definitely will the next time I can sit down!)
    I think the Playhouse was one of his last gigs on his recent uk tour, but he’s back in June for a handful of gigs

https://www.ericgales.com/tour-schedule
    rlw said:

You might get to meet him after the show too he did a selfie/cd signing session thing after the Playhouse gig.

anyone sitting on the fence about seeing him get off and go - I don’t think you’ll be disappointed - we weren’t. 
    The gig at the Cluny is definitely on my radar, but Monday is a bit of crappy night for a gig - struggling to find someone willing to go with me. Might have to go by myself!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24338
    His albums with dUg Pinnick and thinly Pridgen are ace.

https://open.spotify.com/album/4y5eWjxV503thGXc3snE5P?si=mfjHZ1b4RaSdtO4X7V3Pvw

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I don’t know much about him or his music but for once the planets align. Turns out he’s playing Leamington Spa on Thursday, which is my town so a 10 min walk away. And it’s also a rare occasion when the wife and kids are going to the in-laws on Thursday and I’m following up on Friday due to needing to do some work. Tickets available so rightly purchased. I’ll be billy-no-mates but definitely worth a crack. No one plays Leamington Spa!
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 747
    edited May 2022
    Another revelation (for me and wife anyway) from same edition of Guitarist was The Bros. Landreth. Never listened to them before ("Let it Lie" album Amazon Prime). Lovely gentle fusion of Blues, Soul and maybe a little bit Country. Very skilful guitar work too.

The Guitarist picks often give us new finds. The Aristocrats from same edition - a little bit different. Joanne Shaw Taylor was another recent discovery and bought her "Blues Album" on Vinyl. Otherwise I would still be stuck on the world's greatest ever guitarist who is..........

..........Rev Gary Davis! Him I would like to have seen.   

:-)
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    The Bookends and Middle Of The Road are pretty good albums. I'm not so sold on his new one though. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6499
    rlw said:
    He's on the cover of Guitarist magazine this month, being cited as the best in the world.
    Nothing against Eric Gales, but what a ridiculous claim.

Unnecessary hype. Guitarist ought to know better.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    rlw said:
    He's on the cover of Guitarist magazine this month, being cited as the best in the world.

I agree but my point was I’m going to see him in a shithole in the middle of nowhere for the price of a haircut.   Make hay etc …
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6499
    rlw said:
    rlw said:

I agree but my point was I’m going to see him in a shithole in the middle of nowhere for the price of a haircut.   Make hay etc …
    Oh yes, absolutely. Didn’t mean to detract from that :) Enjoy!

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24338
    dindude said:
    I don’t know much about him or his music but for once the planets align. Turns out he’s playing Leamington Spa on Thursday, which is my town so a 10 min walk away. And it’s also a rare occasion when the wife and kids are going to the in-laws on Thursday and I’m following up on Friday due to needing to do some work. Tickets available so rightly purchased. I’ll be billy-no-mates but definitely worth a crack. No one plays Leamington Spa!
    I saw Devin Townsend there!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    edited May 2022
    He’s a brilliant player, saw him at a tiny club in SW London a few years back and he absolutely ripped the place apart. I don’t know if he’s still doing his “how I kicked drugs and found Jesus” monologue at the beginning of his set, but it’s well worth the boredom once he starts playing. 

He’s actually been going for a very long time, it’s just taken him a while to really break through. He was in prison for a while (for the drug thing) which presumably didn’t help. 

I don’t like his blues stuff that much, mainly because blues has been done to death IMO, but his heavier rock stuff is really good, things like Psychedelic Underground and Crystal Visions. Check out the Eric Gales Trio “Ghost Notes” album too, that’s my favourite at the moment, he does a really good duo with Eric Johnson on one track.  

Oh and there’s a hilarious YouTube clip where he’s really young and playing in a battle of the bands contest. He’s actually wearing skin coloured leggings but it seriously looks like he’s playing in just his pants. 
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 788
    edited May 2022
    I've bought (me and a mate) tickets to see him next week as I want to see what the hype is all about.

I've got high hopes he'll be amazing. 
    I will report back on Monday.  

Interesting week this musically.   Jimmy Webb - Eric Gales - Dionne Warwick.   Can't say that my taste doesn't vary.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    rlw said:

Yeah, I saw that cover the other day, it seemed a ridiculously childish statement to make.

I really liked his first two albums - 30 years ago! - as the Eric Gales Band, with his two older brothers, but I haven't listened to his subsequent work apart from seeing a few YouTube clips.  I thought he'd concentrated more on blues material, but if there's rockier stuff I'd be interested to hear it.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    So I saw him last night in Leamington. Was really good, worth every penny of the £20 or so it cost. I think what sets him apart from his peers is that a). He can sing and b). He has a versatile that can take in a bit of funk, a bit of jazz, a bit of soul. His band are solid (the keyboard player being stand out) and he’s a got a good presence. Best guitarist in the world right now? Not even close, he’s great and all, but that’s actually a distraction from all the above I’ve mentioned. Only slight negative for me is that I’m not a huge fan of his tone, has that fast attack and brittleness of solid state. All in all though great stuff.