Re-finish fender neck

Hi all,

so I had an issue with a crack in a Stratocaster headstock. All fixed now thanks to starbond super thin super glue.

I had to scrape back the finish on the headstock in places to remove the excess glue. It’s flat and smooth again, but I’d like to re-finish the bit I’ve scraped back.

What is it fender put on their necks? How would people advice patching this up. It’s just a few area and I’d like to keep the decal etc.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    edited May 2022
    If it’s a normal standard it’ll be some form of 2 pack lacquer ( I want to say poly but don’t want a bollocking from ICBM ). 

I did my 90’s Tele maple neck recently. It had the classic cracking of the lacquer in quite a few places. I removed the finish from the back completely (but only rubbing to the headstock contour as I didn’t want to disturb the serial number) with 240 grit as it was badly cracked and falling off around the skunk stripe and mixed a blend of nitro (lacquer mixed with stain) to colour match it to the board. After I was happy with the colour blend I scuffed the entire thing back and gave it all a coat of 2 pack polyurethane semi matt lacquer. 

Admittedly I committed to respraying the entire neck which made it easier to get a uniform colour all over. If you want to limit it to just your repair area it may prove more difficult.

I think it all depends on how handy you are and what kit you have available to you. The blending in is quite manageable if you do it right though.

Here’s the thread where I did mine:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210205/finished-99-usa-tele/p2
  • Thanks for the advice @Deadman. Looking at your post this is exactly what I want to achieve. Can I ask what lacquer and stain you used?
    It was Morrells light oak stain mixed with HMG clear sander sealer with around 30% cellulose thinners for the sealing and colouring @Longjonlebon .

The polyurethane lacquer was a PPG Aerospace product. It’s all professional stuff and I’m not sure if it’s available on the open market unfortunately. I’d imagine Manchester Guitar Tech will sell you whatever you need though. That’s who I’d recommend for home use.
  • Oh wow. That sounds complicated! I was thinking of using the vintage amber nitro from northwest guitars. Maybe that too simple a solution?
    Not at all. I’d give that a go. 
  • Thanks @Deadman ;