Epiphone SG Junior mods?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
edited September 2022 in Making & Modding
Edited the original thread title. I was originally going to put a vibrola type thing on this, but might put a Bigsby B2 or a copy, but I have no idea of the neck radius to see what bridge I would need, and can't find any info online.

e.g.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited June 2022
    This is the guitar. Just bought it.

I would need to replace the bridge obviously, and possibly a Bigsby B3 would work? 

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3202
    Just fitted a b3 with the towner kit to my sg classic. Looks wicked, does that thing, miles better than a vibramate imo and reversible if I ever change my mind. 

You’ll lose the benefit of the tension bar with a junior, but it’s got to be worth a shot. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I’ll keep an eye out for the B3 used etc. Don’t want to pump a load of money into it !
    The towner too 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Do bigsbys work okay with wraparound style bridges?
    I think I would have to replace the bridge which would be ok with me.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Here's my PRS

Tuning stability was rubbish until I rounded the bottom of the wraparound "arms" where the contact the bridge  studs, awesome since. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Winny_Pooh ; I didn't consider a Doozy trem.... so the original bridge on that PRS was also a wraparound?
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1130
    Isn't the Bigsby B5 (B50) the default model on a Junior? You'd have to drill the top though.
    Isn't the Bigsby B5 (B50) the default model on a Junior? You'd have to drill the top though.
    I've seen a few different options online, so not too sure. I don't mind drilling though. Well, I'll be asking a luthier to do it.
    edited June 2022
    I'd go B5 on anything with a flat top personally. That way you can choose the positioning for a suitable break angle. B7s do look cooler though with the hinge admittedly
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    The guitar in the vid looks the buzizness, but does he actually use the trem? 
    roberty said:
    I'd go B5 on anything with a flat top personally. That way you can choose the positioning for a suitable break angle. B7s do look cooler though with the hinge admittedly
    Ah, so a B7 would also work? Maybe that's what I should have been looking at initially! I would also consider the Doozy version of the B5, as per the PRS post above.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    This is the guitar. Just bought it.
    I'd give it a few weeks of solid testing in standard spec before making any changes.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    @Funkfingers assuming it plays ok, yep, for sure!
    roberty said:
    Ah, so a B7 would also work? Maybe that's what I should have been looking at initially! I would also consider the Doozy version of the B5, as per the PRS post above.
    You can fit a B7 on an SG by flipping the hinge over. I did this once but it was with a vibramate so the tension bar was higher up from the body. I didn't like what it did to the sound of that guitar, robbed all the sustain. It's hard to say what it was exactly that caused that

I have a B5 on a beater SG now, it does work better IMO. I put it quite far back so there's good clearance and a sensible break angle
    @roberty yep i’ll go B3 or B5!
    Cool good luck mate. I love a project me
    Also not sure if I can use the existing bridge position…
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    They are not everyone's cup of tea visually, but the Maestro Vibrola's take some beating functionally, along with a roller bridge. 
    They are fitted to some models of SG but I also fitted one to the Trini Lopez 335  tribute I built last year.  They work an absolute treat with none of the tuning issues associated with Bigsbys :

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom