Epiphone SG Junior mods?

What's Hot

Comments

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    @Andyjr1515 hmmm wonder would it fit a junior 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    @Andyjr1515 hmmm wonder would it fit a junior 
    Pretty sure the Junior is the same body length as a standard SG?

They certainly fit the standard SG:

edited June 2022
    Any advantage of the maestro v bigsby ?
    The maestro looks way cooler and I’d be using it for gentle rocking only.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Maestro is common on old Specials. They get a bad rep but so do bigsbys and I have no problems with any of mine

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    hmmm , short or long ….
    Any advantage of the maestro v bigsby ?
    The maestro looks way cooler and I’d be using it for gentle rocking only.
    I know everyone will come down on me like a ton of bricks.  But what's new  :)

In my personal view, for subtle and even more energetic vibrato, pitch up or down, I think they take some beating.  Very simple concept, easy to fit, work very well with none of the issues that are well known relating to Bigsbys, Fender trems, etc.  And don't get me wrong - I like Bigsbys and I have no problem with strat trems, floating or blocked.  But, to use, I prefer these.   

Like many vibratos, they do benefit from use of a roller bridge...but an affordable basic one will do just fine.  It's basically just a very stiff piece of curved spring steel so no moving parts in terms of component to component friction and then the only extra things to get right is string to bridge contact (hence the advantage of a roller bridge) and a properly cut and lubricated nut.  And these two things are the same for the other designs, plus all of their other challenges and obstacles to smooth operation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I would love to own an early 60s Maestro SG Special one day
    @Andyjr1515 Hosco seems to be the suggested brand for the lower priced ones. 
    @Andyjr1515 Hosco seems to be the suggested brand for the lower priced ones. 
    Yes - I got mine from WD Music and I'm pretty sure that is the Hosco one.  They do the long one and the short one.  Hosco are a good maker in my experience.
    edited June 2022
    Current set up on it:
    I was never a huge fan of SGs, but I think, possibly, a Jr might reignite SG gas, if I decided to get a "proper" Jr.
    This Epi has a screw on neck, so maybe the neck angle on the body is more appealing to me...

Need to upgrade these tuners as well:

Also, definitely needs new pots, tone doesn't really do anything, and this would be an important part of a Jr to me, being able to mess with the tone knob. Hell, maybe even a new pickup!
    I've heard those tuners referred to as "crapezoid" before which tickles me

That pickup is sitting quite high, is it shimmed or is there some other voodoo at play?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @roberty here are some pics of the neck angle, if it makes any sense!

Any idea what type of roller bridge would be best suited for this? There are heaps of options! 
    Oh dear :(

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    That is the long Vibrola whereas your Epiphone SG requires either the "sideways" arm Maestro à la Angus or the short Vibrola like my elderly mk3 Melody Maker. 

TBH, with the stock "lightning bolt" wrapover bridge, looking at the vibrato can be enough to throw it out of tune.

I chose the easy option. I wrap my strings around the bridge and only leave the Vibrola anchor block on to hide the holes beneath.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Righto, going to abandon the vibrola idea. Worth upgrading the stock bridge on these Epis?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Much depends on the stock bridge type and how it is positioned on the guitar top.

The wrapover bridge with an intonation compensation ridge along its top has the threaded stud inserts positioned equidistant from the nut.

The version with a smooth top has the studs at different distances from the nut (and slightly offset towards the low E side).

Since the Epiphone has no vintage value to protect, there is no good reason not to install a modern bridge with individually adjustable bridge saddles. 

Of course, in the finest traditions of The Fretboard, it might be possible that your Epiphone needs a Bigsby. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    @Funkfingers :) :) new bridge it is!
  • A few months in, so far so good. The trem unit is too long, but I am not going to put a tremo on it now anyhow.
    The tuners are crap, so need to upgrade those.
    The volume/tone goes from 1 to 10 straight away, so could upgrade those as well.
    The bridge, not so sure, but if folk suggest I should, then I will. Tuners and maybe nut are the priority things to upgrade.
    Any suggestions for some tuners? Modern ones.