Vintage Hofner 68 violin bass vs anniversary as an investment

musicalstashmusicalstash Frets: 53
I have both a 68 hofner violin bass and and a limited edition 50th  anniversary bass which i an looking to sell. 

I have someone intrested but has asked which would be a better investment as he would rather have bass (big beatles fan) rather than the cash sitting in the bank but can't afford both. 

The anniversary is in mint condition and comes with it box and was just opened to take the photos and only 50 were made. 

The 68 is in really good condition, with its or case, not the staple pickup version sadly and was ordered from a Collector 15 years ago for 2k.

Any ideas?  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Vintage collectors can be severely retentive about model specifications. To some, the unfavoured pickups could reduce the perceived value of the piece.

If the Anniversary model is totally original and in mint condition, there is nothing to quibble about. The transaction is very straightforward. Take it or leave it.

If your interested party is a Beatlemaniac, direct his attention to whichever instrument more closely resembles the specifications of Macca's second Höfner bass.
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    The answer is simple: both are to a large extent unknown quantities as investments, so buy the one you prefer as an instrument.

Or, to put it a different way - you can't be expected to have a crystal ball as to the future financial values, so it's his choice not yours.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Thanks for the comments will take the advice on board and leave it up to him to decide , I think he will go for the Anniversary model as it is based upon the original  Cavern bass .