Let’s have your overdrive recommendations, then…

What's Hot
De_BatzDe_Batz Frets: 117
The story so far:

What I'm looking for is an amp channel or an amp-in-a-box type overdrive, specifically for crunchy chords for rhythm parts. Amp is Deluxe-derived, AB763 (ish) with a Fane Medusa speaker to allow relatively heavy overdrive without sounding shrill.  

What I've tried: TS and Klon types, both of which are fine for lead playing but for rhythm stuff they add so much midrange that everything ends up really honky. Once either has enough gain to be overdriving internally I lose the attack I need. The amp is up at about 1/3 on the volume control, making plenty of noise but not close to breaking up on its own, so adding volume to get it to overdrive is not the solution.
I've also tried a couple of other approaches: the best sounding has been the Bad Cat Two Tone, which all other things being equal would be an easy choice. But it's the size and weight of a small pedalboard all on its own. I've also tried my Correct Sound Black Sunn, which sounds great, but for a completely different sound compared to the one I'm going for. 
The closest I've come in a small 9V pedal is the AMT Soldano S-Drive, but the gain in that circuit is so high that it doesn't respond to volume or pick attack at all. I'd like that balance, I suppose, of BMT (even though the pedal is only a tone control), with the ability to run it at much lower gain without choking out the sound. To do that on the S-Drive is practically impossible as the gain kicks in straight away as you crack the control open. 

So, suggestions please... Preferably:
9V
Small pedal format (not necessary micro or mini)
Ideally 3-band tone control
Relatively low gain
not mid-pushed
crisp and crunchy rather than smooth
allows the front-end of the attack through

Bonus points for it being UK-made.
Extra bonus points for it being (relatively) affordable.

To all on TFB: I’ve posted the same question on TheGearPage, but because I’ve asked for specific recommendations rather than just people’s favourite pedal, I got literally one reply. 
Let’s put the final nail in the coffin of my participation in effects threads over there…
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 401
    OD3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6673
    I am using a Nordland ODR-C+ and find that the spectrum pot and the mids pot allow for a fairly wide variety of sounds and as you say, allows the "front-end" of the attack through which I'm assuming means the transient. Easy to dial out the honk as the circuit itself isn't mid-boosted. .  

I have a C+ that I'm using and I also have a regular C that I'm probably selling. One will sell and I'll keep the other, just using the C+ because of board space but that can change easily enough. If you think you might need one give me a shout but I actually suspect that whet you really need is a RAT. 
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 795
    edited June 2022
    I’ve been using Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret mk3 quite a lot recently. Good range of gain (bluesbreaker through to JMP), cleans up very well, 3 band EQ with internal presence control. 

OD3 is also a great shout. 

Edit: Catalinbread 5f6 is definitely on the crispy side - I frequently use that for jangly/chimey sounds alongside the DLS for crunch
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
    Timmy
    Lightspeed
    Dane 
    Red ones are better. 
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Hamstead Odyssey? Loads of voicing options in a compact box, UK made. Not cheap though.
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 524
    What I always say - Barber Gain Changer compact
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    If you have room, the answer is always RevivalTrem. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    Something Bluesbraker-ish.
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1286
    The Fulldrive 2 circuit is pretty flexible, the flat mids control and clipping options allow for a lot of variety.

Joyo make a version of it for under 50 quid 
  • Something ODR
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4766
    Hattigol said:
    If you have room, the answer is always RevivalTrem. 
    No, if you have just a bit more room, it’s the RevivalDrive. Gives me Ritchie Blackmore through a clean Fender-ish Carr. 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7150
    Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop
    Zvex Box of Rock 
  • De_BatzDe_Batz Frets: 117
    merlin said:
    I am using a Nordland ODR-C+ and find that the spectrum pot and the mids pot allow for a fairly wide variety of sounds and as you say, allows the "front-end" of the attack through which I'm assuming means the transient. Easy to dial out the honk as the circuit itself isn't mid-boosted. .  

I have a C+ that I'm using and I also have a regular C that I'm probably selling. One will sell and I'll keep the other, just using the C+ because of board space but that can change easily enough. If you think you might need one give me a shout but I actually suspect that whet you really need is a RAT. 
    Yes, the click of the pick attack is quite a big part of what’s going on. By way of an example, I can’t use a Tone Bender even flat out because it makes me sound quieter. It has a much louder sustain part of the envelope, but the lack of transient means I don’t hear myself properly.

The Sunn thing has a Rat in it, which is a good base sound for some things. It’s a touch too smeary for what I want here, even at the lower gain settings (although I can get there with both it and the Model T preamp on). I also think it cuts a fair amount of low end, although I might be over sensitive to that because of where I’m standing…

On the ODR, can’t remember hearing one in person but it’s much closer on (for example) That Pedal Show than a TS type.
    Thanks for all the recommendations, folks. I’ll be having a search around.

For those interested, I use a thick, hard pick, usually close to the bridge, and hit the thing fairly hard. 

Example vids to follow when I’m on the laptop not this phone…
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Treble Boost.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    My answer to this is ThorpyFx The Dane. I've have one since it was first released, and have a bit of the Boost side on all the time.
    Sassafras said:
    Treble Boost.
    Whilst I agree that this is sometimes the answer, into a fairly clean black panel deluxe type amp, I don’t think it is. I’ve just not got enough happening in the amp to get away with it.

Treble boost works into my Heartbreaker Lust channel, as cutting bass and sharpening mods and highs brings out a smoother, more singing sound. Part of the problem is that the HB really is too loud, in the sense that it only really starts to make sense just at the point that folk are complaining. The Deluxe is more focused at lower volume, and the setup is physically smaller which has a significant effect on the singer’s perception of its loudness…

• matt_seftonmatt_sefton Frets: 714
    Boss Blues Driver. Cheap, bulletproof, sounds great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    Marshall Guv'nor

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    Revival drive compact