Let’s have your overdrive recommendations, then…

What's Hot

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4088
    Maxon OD808 for me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • De_BatzDe_Batz Frets: 117
    Thanks again for all the suggestions. It's obviously very difficult to give recommendations for this one specific amp / setup without there being some guesswork involved. 

I think one thing might be to drag the amp down to RichTone and see if there's anything in there. I'm not averse to a mass-produced thing, much rather that than spend way over the odds and hear no difference. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just had a little look at Rich Tone's inventory. I would be tempted to try a Way Huge Saucy Box as well as the Nobles.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    The TC MojoMojo is worth a look for the price. I prefer it into a Marshall(y) eq'd amp but YMMV.
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    Have you tried a modded Blues Driver? Very uncompressed, a lot sweeter after the usual mod kits. If you're handy with a soldering iron you can probably tweak it further to your taste by changing resistor/cap values too B) 
    Agreed. I modded mine with a Monte Allums kit and it made it a lot more flexible to me and being one of those who simply can't let things be, I sent it to Pedal Mods UK who swapped out some components to bring it up to Keeley spec. It was worth every penny.   
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1808
    Revival Drive Compact. And I also have  a MojoMojo I can bring myself to get rid of.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Another vote for OD-3
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 273
    edited June 2022
    normula1 said:
    The TC MojoMojo is worth a look for the price. I prefer it into a Marshall(y) eq'd amp but YMMV.
    +1 for the Mojo Mojo. At any price it's really good. 

Other ODs I have enjoyed include the OD3 and the Marshall Jackhammer.  Both seem more suited to leads (especially the Marshall) than to crunch tones in my opinion.  After much experimentation, for a range of od sounds,  I have ended up with a combination of an Xotic bass booster, or an MXR eq pushing a Mas Malo. Works for me, but in many ways I wish I had kept the Mojo Mojo and Grand Magus.  It would have saved a lot of time and money, and would have done everything well.  
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 941
    If you're picky about the amount /type of mids then id recommend the Peacekeeper. The way the eq is arranged you can add or subtract mids pre or post gain, so not only can you control the amount of mid but how crunchy it sounds. 
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2415
    edited June 2022
    Blue Monarch? I’m fond of Fredric’s pedals, I picked up a second a few months ago for 90 quid, he might have one left
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3527
    Xotic BB
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3527
    andy1839 said:
    I'm loving the 1981 DRV and Venuram ODS-1 and Jan Ray, but into Friedman amps.
    Since getting a Carr Rambler those haven't worked so well.
    The 1981 has a great raspy grind to it, but didn't work so well with the top end in the Carr. 

For the Fender based Carr I've gone with a Suhr Shiba Drive Reloaded Mini and Kingtone Duellist V2 which has a good amount of versatility, although they might be a bit too smooth.
    Have you tried Steve Carr's dialing in trick? All eq off, vol to max. Slowly bring in mids and the a little of the others. 
  • De_Batz said:
    Thanks again for all the suggestions. It's obviously very difficult to give recommendations for this one specific amp / setup without there being some guesswork involved. 

I think one thing might be to drag the amp down to RichTone and see if there's anything in there. I'm not averse to a mass-produced thing, much rather that than spend way over the odds and hear no difference. 
    I've been using The Pedal Club from Sound Affects to get pedals posted so I can try them at home. If you don't mind the monthly fee can recommend. Good way to try lots of pedals without the faff of buying and reselling. Takes about 5 days between returning the last and getting the next - so at a push can get through 3/4 pedals a month, though generally I keep them for a week or two. I then see if I miss them once they are gone; the Pulse Doppler for instance.

• De_Batz said:

I've been using The Pedal Club from Sound Affects to get pedals posted so I can try them at home. If you don't mind the monthly fee can recommend. Good way to try lots of pedals without the faff of buying and reselling. Takes about 5 days between returning the last and getting the next - so at a push can get through 3/4 pedals a month, though generally I keep them for a week or two. I then see if I miss them once they are gone; the Pulse Doppler for instance.

Does the subscription price include postage? Both ways? 
  • De_Batz said:

Does the subscription price include postage? Both ways? 

Yes, it comes with a return label in the box. You tape the box up, stick the label on on it and take it to the post office. They scan it and give you a proof of postage receipt. I'm on my fifth pedal so far and not had issues yet.
  • The price is pretty reasonable then if you can get a couple pedals within each month and post them back without extra cost. Tempting.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    I really loved my Friedman BE OD it’s sublime 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4627
    Tone city Nobleman 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4627
    ICBM said:
    Marshall Guv'nor
    Absolutely love mine, but despite the tank like looks, it's actually quite a delicate little thing. The plastic jacks have not stood the test of time in my case. Will be replacing mine with an Angry Charlie 
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 273
    edited June 2022
    Just had a little look at Rich Tone's inventory. I would be tempted to try a Way Huge Saucy Box as well as the Nobles.
    I had a Way Huge Saucy for a while.  It basically has one sound. Worked well on bass.  I could match its sound with other pedals, so moved it on. 

Upside:  it was nicely made, had a good physical size, and a modern battery hatch instead of four screws and a DIY clip.