Acoustic Attack picks

What's Hot
stufisherstufisher Frets: 835
It's late ... I've been suppin ... my brain is tired ... but I just spotted this:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMNde9qcK/?k=1

Are they for real? Has anyone tried them? Are they worth it?

I thought it better to ask the forum than waste time researching a scam.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5268

Call me with your best price.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • moremore Frets: 230
    I have not tried them , but there are some positive reviews on YouTube. Personally , I prefer bright clean tones. The picks seem to produce a buzz . Pleas buy some and leave a review , I would be interest.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    more said:
    ... there are some positive reviews on YouTube ...
    Call me cynical, but if there aren’t positive reviews to accompany a product launch then the marketing department isn’t doing its job.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 227
    A good few years ago there was a similar idea. It consisted of a central normal pick with a couple of other picks attached to each side with the tips raised in height from the central one - so viewed from the side, the arrangement was V shaped.
    There was a small separation between pick surfaces. In use it did work for strumming, as each string got picked  several times on each pass. Don't know about picking though.
    It was a bit unwieldy due to the thickness, about that of a usb flash drive.
    I made one from a few Jim Dunlop's and araldite, it's probably lying about somewhere after 5 mins use...!
    I bet someone on here still has one though.
    The tik-tok one looks to be a single pick with 5 studs on it, so similar (but better) design. Certainly sounded as though it worked. Another option for occasional sound variation.
    Well spotted Stu, you should keep suppin'!  ;)
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    I occasionally pick with 2 light picks back to back with a slight gap between their tips (by rotating the top one a bit”
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7029
    edited June 2022
    That guy's constant manic grinning made me feel a bit uneasy.  I expected to hear "fava beans", "liver" and "Chianti" somewhere in his dialogue.
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1036
    Sounds nothing like a 12 string.
    I achieve a similar sound on the upstroke by brushing the string with the tip of my finger and also the tip of my nail. It's just a matter of getting the angle right so as to get both sounds. It's a useful special effect which I use regularly, but I wouldn't dream of playing a whole song like that.

A somewhat similar thing is the old shark fin pick with one serrated edge. https://www.guitarstringsonline.com.au/jim-dunlop-tortex-fins-blue-1-0mm-guitar-picks-6-pack/

These work great for grungy chunka-chunka rhythm playing but - again - you can revert to a standard sound at any time just by changing your grip.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    edited June 2022
    Soupman said:
    A good few years ago there was a similar idea. It consisted of a central normal pick with a couple of other picks attached to each side with the tips raised in height from the central one - so viewed from the side, the arrangement was V shaped.

I had (have somewhere) one,  it was promoted back then as "sound like a 12 string"  (havent opened the OP link to see what that is)   it was defo "different" to normal but nothing like a 12

I found it hard to use cos the bit you hold was very thick, about 8mm 

EDIT  -   here ya go    -  the Dunlop "Strummer"

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I have discovered that I can emulate the sound of a 126 string guitar using this novel plectrum:

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @bertie I knew someone would have one or at least heard of them.
    @Tannin yes, I'd forgotten about the shark fins, I have a few lying around, they're interesting.
     :)
    I particularly like BillDL effort though. Not sure how it would sound..... =)
    Apparently it makes dogs and cats sing with joy while being washed or brushed, so it should do the same with strings.
    similar thing for slap bass players

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2022
    I have searched over the years for the ultimate pick. The Dunlop Strummer didn't make it to the finals.
    This is the roundup of my winners as they suit whatever little style i have best.
    Everyone will have their own preferences of course.
    (Finally cracked the image posting!)
    Clockwise from the top: Fred Kelly Speed Pick; Herco Flat/Thumbpick; Sharkfin as mentioned by @Tannin (I'd forgotton about those!); Herco Gold 50.
    The Fred Kelly I got mailed from Eagle Music in Huddersfield, they were the only UK place I found selling them at the time - I prefer not to buy from Fleabay if possible. The Herco flat/thumbpick came from there too. (i have no connection to the shop, in fact a few handfuls of picks are all I've ever bought there).
    The flat/thumbpick is good for picking and then strumming a chorus.
    The Fred Kelly looks a bit fragile but is quite robust, my favourite for picking (which is most of the time), but didn't feel right for strumming.
    The Herco Gold is my go-to flat pick.
    The sharkfin is a bit of a novelty, rarely gets used.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited June 2022
    @Soupman ; - Interestimg collection. 

I have several speedpicks (they come in a variety of thickness and colour. I have two sharkfin picks. And that FK one you got from Eagle, that must be a Bumblebee

EDIT: Oh an Herco. FK makes an almost identical one known as Bumblebee. 

Tannin said:

Call me with your best price.
    the Tyne's looking nice 
    @Tannin that's a bit larger than the Tyne model, no doubt a bit warmer too.
    Not right now @Soupman - Newcastle on Tyne is several degrees warmer than Sydney most days. Mind you, it is the middle of winter here. :)
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    Remember the Jellifish?
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1796
    Tannin said:
    Not right now @Soupman - Newcastle on Tyne is several degrees warmer than Sydney most days. Mind you, it is the middle of winter here. :)
    I doubt that my friend. The BBC weather forecasters do tend to exaggerate our one day of summer we get in the UK. After our mid 20s celsius heatwave for a day we are back to our mid teens celsius summer average.