I made a Bass

What's Hot
TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1730
in Bass tFB Trader
So probably the most requested thing I've had since launching my Model 1 was, do you do it in a bass?

Finally had some time over this long weekend to get it together,

It's a 30" scale, 39mm nut, 19 fret Mustang style bass. Wound the pickup myself, which is a split coil mustang.

Come out very light just like my guitars do given it's Obeche, 7lb on the nose. Lightweight Gotoh tuners, 203 bridge, 

Does have a fraction of neck dive when sat on the leg without a strap, but with a strap sitting or standing it balances just fine, and the 7lb is just sublime feeling.

Finished in my fully waterbased open pore sparkle gloss

Oh and I need a bass amp

0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3186
    Oh I want that, I really want that! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    I really want that control plate to be the other way around and angled down, parallel to the body's edge, in the Jazz Bass area.

In an ideal world, your Model 1 short scale bass guitar would have a Hello Kitty or Badtz Maru pickguard. :grin:
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2349
    That's awesome  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    I really want that control plate to be the other way around and angled down, parallel to the body's edge, in the Jazz Bass area.
    I think it just needs to be a bit further back and lower down, more like the 'Les Paul Jr' position.

Other than that, I think it's fabulous - a truly good-looking shape that isn't a copy of anything else, and the hardware and pickguard really suit it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1730
    tFB Trader
    Cheers guys, very kind!

I made the plate so it matches the guitar, it cant acutally go too much lower as the body contour is basically just below it,

Appreciate all the kind words though, the pickguard shape is also my favourite addition!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28035
    Sparkly Green!

Also more pickups. 

Lovely job. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Cheers guys, very kind!

I made the plate so it matches the guitar, it cant acutally go too much lower as the body contour is basically just below it
    Can it go back a bit, even if the same distance from the strings? I just think it looks a tiny bit cluttered there (but not too bad) and I'm aware that when I use a pick, my playing is still a bit like a demented chimpanzee - even if less than it is on guitar! - so I worry about hitting the volume knob.

If not, it's probably fine as it is :).

How much will they be?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Cheers guys, very kind!

I made the plate so it matches the guitar, it cant acutally go too much lower as the body contour is basically just below it
    Can it go back a bit, even if the same distance from the strings? I just think it looks a tiny bit cluttered there (but not too bad) and I'm aware that when I use a pick, my playing is still a bit like a demented chimpanzee - even if less than it is on guitar! - so I worry about hitting the volume knob.

If not, it's probably fine as it is :).

How much will they be?
    Yeah I could certainly move it back, 

This is with it 20mm set back from where it is,

I also want to add the pickguard cut out for the truss rod access (the route is already there under the guard) I'd supply a stubby 4mm for it too.

Price is £1395 + VAT, so £1675

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

This is with it 20mm set back from where it is
    I think that looks better - the volume knob is a bit more out of the way and it seems to balance better visually.

I also want to add the pickguard cut out for the truss rod access (the route is already there under the guard) I'd supply a stubby 4mm for it too.
    Those are an excellent idea, and it puzzles me why more manufacturers don't use them - my old 80s Aria has one, and as it was the first electric guitar I owned and learned to adjust, it's always struck me as a faff to not have one.

Price is £1395 + VAT, so £1675
    That sounds good for a small-production UK-made instrument.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    I like the original and agree with ICBM's observations.

Am I wrong to want to see a 30" 6 string version with a single Thunderbird pickup?  That'd be a filthy doom machine!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
    edited June 2022
    I love that finish.

32" will be nicer for the low E tension. For the extra 2 inch scale you could offset that by setting the neck an inch deeper into the body, moving the gaurd and the bridge back accordingly. 

I'd also bring the low bout under the controls in by an inch. 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    I would kill to be able to afford one of your guitars, bit in my opinion that looks a bit wrong  the pickguard and controls and their spacing don't seem to sit right aesthetically for me,  but of course that just an unimportant opinion I bet it plays and sounds a1
    tFB Trader
    So this one is going to Ellis Durand who plays bass in the incredible Wet Leg!

This is with the plate 20mm back and then the access hole for the truss rod, certainly is a better layout

0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's perfect. Fantastic looking bass!

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    That's perfect. Fantastic looking bass!
    Thanks man - much appreciated!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    Wow. Absolutely LOVE it. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I love it too. The second one is perfect. I can't think of a more perfect band for it to go to either. How exciting
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3186
    That’s the design perfected, absolutely stunning Elliott.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Yeah.. that’s reeeeeeally good now :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • funhousefunhouse Frets: 123
    Very cool guitar. Congratulations!