Gadgets for removing broken strings

What's Hot
stufisherstufisher Frets: 887
So, last night I bust the high E string when playing my recently acquired HB DC junior. It was easy to remove so no big deal.

Tonight I bust the high E string of my Jet JS300 and I couldn't easily remove the string because the 'ball' end had got stuck in the guitar body. 

I found a large, fat pin in a sewing kit and I was able to push the string through the guitar body with that, so ultimately all is OK.

This is the first and only 'through-body string' guitar I've had so I may just not know the vagaries of such but it got me wondering ...

Is there a specific tool/implement for this job?

If not, then what do others use to push strings through the guitar body when they are stuck/sticking?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9785
    It sometimes happens with a Tele, and I’ll try pushing a new (thick) string through the wrong way - it usually gives it enough of a push to free the ball end.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2864
    Knitting needle - everyone has got one of those…
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 968
    I keep a piece of a heavy string just for this
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14799
    The only things that usually make the ball end of a string stick in the anchoring ferrule are;
    1) Lousy through-body hole drilling.
    2) Corrosion
    3) The ferrule being made from "metal" that is softer than the string.

Pickup height adjustment screws are not the only guitar/bass hardware that gets made of cheese.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19445
    I usually just use a long hatpin.
    A benefit of being a Jacob Rees-Mogg supporter...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14799
    And good fun with a handgun?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73112
    The Allen key you use for adjusting the bridge saddles is perfect.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1118
    It won't happen often enough to make buying or fashioning a specific tool worthwhile.
    Any of the suggestions above are perfect. I have used a heavy wound string in the past.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3726
    It sometimes happens with a Tele, and I’ll try pushing a new (thick) string through the wrong way - it usually gives it enough of a push to free the ball end.

This is what I do, except that I use the string that I've taken off rather than the new one.  I find that my Fender Strat is by far the worst for the string sticking.
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 887
    Thanks all ... completely reassured that I still have some common sense left and my Jet JS300 isn't a wrong'n :+1: 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9833
    sev112 said:
    Knitting needle - everyone has got one of those…
    You are Tom Daley and I claim my £5
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5011
    Every musician has a set of Allen keys, right?
  • BodBod Frets: 1351
    Just restrung one of my guitars and 4 of the strings were stuck in the block, and this is the method I used with an old string.

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1996
    prowla said:
    Every musician has a set of Allen keys, right?
    I bought a Dunlop repair kit a while ago and it gives you tiniest allen keys possible,in length,so are pretty useless. There is a device that they attach to,like a sort of Swiss Army Knife thing but that fell apart not long after buying it. There also seem to be so many different sizes of allen keys that I'm not surprised if people dont,especially with older guitars.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12529
    I have to admit that in 45+ years of playing, most of it involving string-thru guitars, this is an issue I've never experienced...