Can DeoxIT D5 cause failure in some components?

PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4233
edited June 2022 in Making & Modding
I've got an old mouse that's playing up so I took it apart and gave the three micro-switches a squirt with DeoxIT D5. After a few minutes none of the micro-switches worked. When I pressed the switches there was resistance and no physical click, felt as if the insides had swelled up. A couple of days later, the switches are clicking again and everything is fine.

I think I read somewhere that DeoxIT can cause some seals or plastic to swell and then after it has evaporated the swelling goes down. Anyone know what's going on here?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    It certainly sounds like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KevSKevS Frets: 628
    I've found if there is heavy contamination,,the Deoxit can cause the dirt to spread causing a layer of muck to spread out over the entire contact..This happened to me with an old Dual Turntable Headshell slider insert..
    This was 50 years muck though..Isopropyl wouldn't move it..
    In the end because I had access available,,Silvo Wadding done the trick and moved the layer of dirt and Deoxit..