My next bass project.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28033
    Under 7lb is an interesting target - I thought I'd made Sporkbasster 1 pretty light for a bass, but it's 8lb 1oz. Pretty thick body, though, hefty Hipshot bridge, two big humbuckers, preamp with battery, blah blah.

I wonder (more practical for a scratchbuild than modding) if losing the truss rod in favour of lots of carbon in the neck would help much. Thin neck, 2+2 headstock, poplar body might all help.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24201
    My Sandberg jazz type TT4 Superlight is under 6.5lb.

It has a cedar body and Norwegian maple neck. The newer ones use paulownia for the body.

No need for basses to be as heavy as they usually are.
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    DavidRees said:
    I've seen one in the flesh and I was not at all convinced it was worth the money. Wasn't any better built than my sub 7lb 5 string Ibanez EHB

I've already got a Sandberg Superlight too.

This project is more about what can be done to an existing bass rather than just buying a new bass. It's an experiment for a bit of fun.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6054
    You could always follow Pete Shelley's example...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    DavidRees said:
    I've seen one in the flesh and I was not at all convinced it was worth the money. Wasn't any better built than my sub 7lb 5 string Ibanez EHB

I've already got a Sandberg Superlight too.

This project is more about what can be done to an existing bass rather than just buying a new bass. It's an experiment for a bit of fun.
    sorry for the misunderstanding - your point is well taken - good luck with the experimentation ...
    No problem.

I've got some more parts that have now arrived so I can start removing the preamp & battery stuff.

Then I can weigh that lot against the passive loom that is going in. Slight fly in the ointment is that the passive loom has a solderless screw connector set up that is heavier than just soldering it all in.

Still, we'll see!
  • PALPAL Frets: 534
    If you have problems with the weight of guitar or bass instead of trying to make the instrument lighter why not try one of
     the double guitar shoulder straps this will distribute the weight of the instrument over both of your shoulders.

PAL said:
    If you have problems with the weight of guitar or bass instead of trying to make the instrument lighter why not try one of
     the double guitar shoulder straps this will distribute the weight of the instrument over both of your shoulders.

I’ve tried them.

They work if it’s a shoulder problem alone.

If it’s a core or back problem it does not and cannot change the pressure in the spine and core muscles. The weight is the same. The force going through the body is the same.