Strymon updated pedals leaked?

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11807
    edited June 2022
    I think I paid £350 for a Timeline and may be £380 for a BigSky.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Just bought an El Cap after 10 years of it being around, bad timing! I’d never use the midi to be fair (who the hell needs 300 presets!), be interested if it sounds any different but I’m sure it’s marginal, the only thing that would get me going was if the spring reverb was completely independent which I don’t think it is even on v2.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Oof yeah that's quite a price hike. Another £50 gets you a Helix HX
  • DeftDeft Frets: 30
    roberty said:
    Oof indeed. On the other hand... probably be a good time to buy one of the 'old' ones when the mass sell-off begins, assuming you don't need the new features

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    Just bought an El Cap after 10 years of it being around, bad timing! I’d never use the midi to be fair (who the hell needs 300 presets!), be interested if it sounds any different but I’m sure it’s marginal, the only thing that would get me going was if the spring reverb was completely independent which I don’t think it is even on v2.

I don't think they've gone out of the way to offer that many presets, it's just maximising the technology they have and have worked hard on.

As you say, these pedals are near 10 years old, and I'm just really happy to see MIDI implementation, it's something I've wanted for a long long time. If only to sync to midi clock, that's brilliant for my needs.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    They do still sound fantastic. I’m not surprised about the prices. But, HX Stomp! 
  • Crazed_FandangoCrazed_Fandango Frets: 59
    edited June 2022
    EL Cap

I may have been tempted if the reverb could be activated separately, but I don't use it on the current one as I just use my amp's reverb and there's nothing amazing about the EL cap's reverb.

I've never even heard of midi nor stereo.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
  • I'm not sure why people are mentioning the HX Stomp it's not as if any of the delays in the Stomp are comparable to the DIG and El Cap...they're just not. I think the DL4 MKii sounds better than the stomp (for some weird reason) and that doesn't sound like either of them either.

To my knowledge the stomp doesn't do what the Deco does either.

Yes, it's well priced, but it's different.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    edited June 2022
    I currently have a Volante, Deco, DIG.. and HX Stomp (plus a Timefactor, ADG-1, D1 - it's a thing...)

The HX Stomp's delays are nice, but not as good as the Strymons. Which isn't to say your regular folks aren't going to decide to buy an HX Stomp over one of these, but those regular folks probably weren't going to buy a Strymon delay anyway. I should probably use the DIG more as I got it in a trade and like the idea, but haven't ever really got the hang of it. The Volante and Deco are two of my all-time favourite pedals though. I don't think I need the v2 Deco but there is always that nagging FOMO chanting away at the back of the monkey brain

Question for the group: has anyone seen a list summarising what each one adds over the v1 versions? Obviously MIDI, USB and stereo, and extra knobs, but a concise summary would be neat
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
    Deft said:
    roberty said:
    Oof indeed. On the other hand... probably be a good time to buy one of the 'old' ones when the mass sell-off begins, assuming you don't need the new features

Fingers crossed - I’d like a DIG… again! This’ll be the third time I buy one if so :mrgreen: 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I dunno, something quite nice about the old pedals being a closed system with no firmware updates, means Strymon had to REALLY commit to those algos a long time ago and they become classics in their own right.

Theres some (not Strymon) who release things before they’re ready knowing that they can fix or change with a firmware update. For example the Walrus ACS1 had a major firmware update not long after release that made a fundamental change to the base sound based on feedback etc. good I guess, but the product ends up feeling like the computer that it is rather than a musical device with a sound of its own. 

As ever, I’m over-thinking this one. As you were.
    dindude said:
    I dunno, something quite nice about the old pedals being a closed system with no firmware updates, means Strymon had to REALLY commit to those algos a long time ago and they become classics in their own right.

Theres some (not Strymon) who release things before they’re ready knowing that they can fix or change with a firmware update. For example the Walrus ACS1 had a major firmware update not long after release that made a fundamental change to the base sound based on feedback etc. good I guess, but the product ends up feeling like the computer that it is rather than a musical device with a sound of its own. 

I agree.

It's like video games - in the old days you released a game and it lived or died based on the code that was in place when you deemed it finished. These days everything is patched 10 times in its first 8 weeks, so they can fix anything that's broken (yay) but that also gives them the ability to release broken stuff with very little consequence (boo). And in many cases on mobile games, that means a good game by a new studio gets bought by someone huge (usually EA) and utterly destroyed via introduction of incessant micro transactions. Bah. 

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    The Deco looks a bit special though...
    The Deco looks a bit special though...
    The Deco was already special. I don't think a tone knob is that big an improvement!! 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    edited June 2022
    I was originally thinking the El Cap but I think the Deco would be better suited as I could use it for a drive also. I really don’t need anything more driven than that. With the added MIDI it should be perfect for me. 

Now that price may take a bit more convincing for me though  
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

To my knowledge the stomp doesn't do what the Deco does either.

You could approximate it with the Retro Reel and ADT.

I've not tried a Deco, it's always been on my list so will do one day, but the effects above are excellent.

I have a Flint which I've kept as well as a Stomp because it does what it does really well.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    I don't think anyone is under the illusion that the Stomp has the same levels of quality, but it's just as a comparison as to what you can get for your money. 

Strymon are like the Apple of the pedal world. 
  • dindude said:

I'm really not understanding your point. Apologies. MIDI is the big thing for me, extra control over stuff, presets, mostly midi clock sync. I don't think they're suggesting changes to tone etc.

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    I really like the Deco.  I did a few rehearsals with just my 68 Princeton and Deco and it was great.

Im currently using a Helix LT but would love to go back to that simple set up sometimes.

Might be a good time to check eBay for an old spec Deco…
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I really like the Deco.  I did a few rehearsals with just my 68 Princeton and Deco and it was great.

Im currently using a Helix LT but would love to go back to that simple set up sometimes.

Might be a good time to check eBay for an old spec Deco…
    Retailers could be blowing out new V1s soon, although £280 still represents a 20% reduction on the V2 price