Was the Stones Anfield gig any good?

What's Hot
ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
Anyone go?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes, absolutely top notch. Jagger was brilliant and whilst you could be critical of what Keith and Ronnie do, it just kind of works when all melded together. I'm sure in isolation their parts would be very flawed but the whole was exactly what you would want the Stones to be!  
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Yes, absolutely top notch. Jagger was brilliant and whilst you could be critical of what Keith and Ronnie do, it just kind of works when all melded together. I'm sure in isolation their parts would be very flawed but the whole was exactly what you would want the Stones to be!  
    ...on the other side of the country? ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6481
    Slightly off-topic, but I've seen footage of Echo and the Bunnymen's support slot, and they were terrible. 

I've seen the Bunnymen a couple of times, and came away underwhelmed both times, but you'd think they'd step it up for a Stones support slot at Anfield.

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1084
    Not trolling in the slightest - but how much do Ronnie and Keith actually play?
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Yes, absolutely top notch. Jagger was brilliant and whilst you could be critical of what Keith and Ronnie do, it just kind of works when all melded together. I'm sure in isolation their parts would be very flawed but the whole was exactly what you would want the Stones to be!  

Great to hear it was a decent show, wished I’d gone now. I was put off because of how patchy they’ve been over recent years. 
    LPManic said:
    I am not sure what you mean? Do you mean their parts may be covered by other musicians hidden away, or do you mean their parts are ridiculously sparse?

• LPManic said:
    Well most of it appeared to be Ronnie. I did wonder if there was another guitarist hidden away but if there was it would have been technically much better. However it just worked. Echo and The Bunneymen I think suffered from a very poor mix- hard to tell if they were any good or not!
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3321
    I didn’t go this time as they were terrible in Manchester a few years back  but apparently they were brilliant. 
  • It was a great show although I think that's where I caught covid. We were right by the desk and there were intermittent issues with the sound (Keith in particular). Regarding Keith and Ronnie, they clearly have a style that works and if it ain't broke... A keen ear could pick out some tasty licks from both of them and the guitar tones from Ronnie's two Bassman and his LP were delicious as was Keith's Micawber and Twins. High energy, cracking set, great crowd and if that's the last time I see them then I walk away very happy.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    Keef and Ronnie can harp on until the cows come home about "the ancient art of weaving" and how they improvise around each other's playing but...truth is, they just play over each other in a totally unsympathetic way that detracts from rather than adding to the overall effect. 

In short: it's a mess.

Two players improvising what are basically rhythm parts is never going to work.

Compare and contrast with other two guitar line-ups who play music in the same general ballpark (very generally speaking): 

Black Crowes and Shery Crow's* band(s). Each guitarist knows how to move out of the other musicians' ways, each of them plays something sympathetic to the music, and, I dare say it, each of them has carefully arranged their parts before hitting the stage. Improvising in a two guitar band when, no offence Ronnie, Keef, you're not exactly blessed with a deeply-ingrained melodic sensibility, is not going to work. Ever.

*must be a Crow thing

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 233
    If Blondie Chaplin was there in the wider band, he used to cover a fair amount of solid guitar parts behind the scenes
  • Keef and Ronnie can harp on until the cows come home about "the ancient art of weaving" and how they improvise around each other's playing but...truth is, they just play over each other in a totally unsympathetic way that detracts from rather than adding to the overall effect. 

In short: it's a mess.

Two players improvising what are basically rhythm parts is never going to work.

Compare and contrast with other two guitar line-ups who play music in the same general ballpark (very generally speaking): 

Black Crowes and Shery Crow's* band(s). Each guitarist knows how to move out of the other musicians' ways, each of them plays something sympathetic to the music, and, I dare say it, each of them has carefully arranged their parts before hitting the stage. Improvising in a two guitar band when, no offence Ronnie, Keef, you're not exactly blessed with a deeply-ingrained melodic sensibility, is not going to work. Ever.

*must be a Crow thing
    Tell that to Jimmy Reed and Eddie Taylor.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Who is on drums for the tour?
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5418
  • duotone said:
    Steve Jordan, long time Keith drummer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    duotone said:
    Cheers!
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4778
    duotone said:
    And I thought he was just a guitar dealer...... ;)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2350
    Boromedic said:
    duotone said:
    And I thought he was just a guitar dealer...... ;)
    He’s a flipping good drummer too. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom