Luthiers, techs & Keen Amateurs

What's Hot
MellishMellish Frets: 945
I was told by a tech that, if I had the under saddle pickup and all electronics removed from my Dove, he could improve its tone.

The tone is good but who wouldn't like their guitar to sound even better? So what do *you* think - does he know what he's talking about? :) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    Is he doing the work for free & guaranteeing the improvement... ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5424
    No. 

In more detail: Hell no!

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Is he doing the work for free & guaranteeing the improvement... ?
    No to both :)

He says, with the pickup out, a tighter fitting saddle would give even better tone. 

Its tone is mainly why I bought it. It spoke to me, there was a connection. I'm not just going to let him butcher it without sound forum wisdom over possible benefits :) 
    I can already see where this is going :) 
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 952
    Under saddle pickups vary in thickness and material so possibly you could have one that's compromised the tone in some way, or hasn't been installed correctly in the first place. That said, when I've had them installed I've tended to notice no practical difference, or maybe a very slight difference. 

So unless there's an obvious problem I'd be dubious about it, especially if you're happy with the way it sounds now. Also, do you not ever use the pickup? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @Tannin ; -  cheers mate, appreciate it :+1: 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5424
    Off-topic now, but here is a silly thing: I have seven guitars. Four of them have high-tech two-element or three-element pickup systems said by people I respect to be amongst the very best that money can buy. And I never use them. Never. You could sneak in one night and snip the wires to the output jacks. I wouldn't even notice. If I ever want to play electric, I'll buy a Tele or a 335.

@Supportact ; - no mate, I've never used the under saddle pickup. I gig but with mics.

But that's now...you know tomorrow may be different. And if I leave it alone, it's there if I change my mind :) 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7208
    I can see the tech's reasoning to an extent.  For an undersaddle piezo strip to work as intended the saddle needs to be able to transfer the vibrations to it, which usually means having the saddle a snug fit but not so tight that you can pick up the guitar with the saddle alone.  On an acoustic without an under-saddle strip you generally want a saddle that fits tightly enough whereby you could lift the whole guitar just by gripping the saddle.  The tech's reasoning is that by removing the piezo strip and fitting a tighter saddle you will get more vibrations transferred directly to the soundboard through the bridge.

In my opinion, based on years of amateur repairs and optimising of guitars, as long as the saddle slot is flat and even and the base of the saddle is flat, the piezo-ceramic strip won't dissipate enough vibration away from the soundboard for people with normal hearing to notice.  The flat piezo strips with the wee segments that line up with the strings are quite thin and hard, however there is also the round cable type (braided or plastic covered) that is a bit thicker and has a slight amount of "give".  I suppose it's possible that some of the vibrations could be lost where a person with very acute hearing might notice a change if one of these cable type transducers was removed. 
    Thanks mate @BillDL.

There's a lot of sustain, and this Dove has a lovely ring, especially with EJ16 12s.

I think I'll keep it as it is. But thanks guys, appreciate the input :) 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Tannin said:
    Off-topic now, but here is a silly thing: I have seven guitars. Four of them have high-tech two-element or three-element pickup systems said by people I respect to be amongst the very best that money can buy. And I never use them. Never. You could sneak in one night and snip the wires to the output jacks. I wouldn't even notice. If I ever want to play electric, I'll buy a Tele or a 335.

I specifically got K&K fitted to two acoustics (only two I've got) at cost and have never, ever used them, either....
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    reminds me of two old phrases

leave well alone

if it aint broke   etc etc 

you bought it cos you liked it as it is........................     no brainer for me
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    @bertie ; - I'm struggling to disagree with any of that.

Well said sir! :) 
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 952
    Mellish said:
    @Supportact ; - no mate, I've never used the under saddle pickup. I gig but with mics.

But that's now...you know tomorrow may be different. And if I leave it alone, it's there if I change my mind :) 
    Might be worth having the pickup in there then? in the event you find yourself on a noisy stage or where mic'ing it is tricky (or as has happened to me you end up playing a festival slot outdoors where you get little or no soundcheck and just need something that works quickly.)

@Supportact ; - yes mate, I've pretty much decided that the guitar will stay as is. 

I may never use its electronics but it's nice to know they're there :) 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    Mellish said:
    @bertie ; - I'm struggling to disagree with any of that.

Well said sir! :) 
    call it a gift...............

;) 

=)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1090
    If it ain't broke don't break it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom