Phil Bennett

What's Hot
FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
Rugby Union Football legend. Llanelli, Wales, British Lions and, occasionally, The Barbarians. Passed on, aged 73. Whoever arranged the honouring of him and the unveiling of a statue did so just in time.
You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Sad news, I'd read that he wasn't in the best of health recently. I can still recall watching him in 5 Nations matches in 70s on TV, I can't have been older than 8 at the time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6673
    I remember watching him at the National Stadium, Cardiff. Go well Phil.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    What a player. RIP.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    Im not worthy of any words  -  RIP 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    edited June 2022 tFB Trader
    Just seen that on the Beeb along with a 4 min video clip - I know I'm English man, but as a 13/14 year old kid at school trying to play Rugby and a fly half as well, he was my hero - His side step and ability to find space was awesome - That great Baa Baa's try against NZ all started with him and 3/4 side steps in his own 22 - That great try v SA for the Lions again with side steps and nearly ran from the 1/2 way line - Far more exciting to watch than a 20 stone prop trying to out muscle his way to the line from 1 yard out 

Sad day and part of my youth goes with him - I was to young to recall B John - RIP Phil
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    One of the guys I remember from watching rugby on tv, as a lad. So many great players, in those days. I thought the bbc obituary was nicely done.
    RIP
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    An awesome player.  My dad used to bump into him at work. Very modest no ego. Genius
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 296
    One of my favourite players of all time, he will be missed.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Just read the Stephen Jones write up in todays Times. The line that really stood out was how he handled his last International game, he played it then had a quiet word with Gareth Edwards at the end stating that he hadn't said anything before the the match because he didn't want his last match to be "all about him". How times have changed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Im not a rugby person at all but PB was probably the first rugby player I took any notice of.  My old man is a proud Welshman, so the five nations was a regular fixture in our house.   RIP.