Acoustic Guitar Amps

What's Hot
Just starting a new project where I’ll be playing acoustic guitar and of course that means I need to buy some other gear  ;)

AER amps are obviously really nice and I have heard one in person a fair bit. Question is are there any less expensive options that people would recommend or should I aim for one of those?
This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1707
    IMO you get what you pay for, if you can afford it I would go for a AER compact 60
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    IMO you get what you pay for, if you can afford it I would go for a AER compact 60
    This.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    The Fishman Loudbox Mini is good, and is a third of the price... the AER *is* really good, but it's hard to justify the price difference. There are a couple of Acus One models which sit somewhere between the two for both price and quality as well. (I have the 6T, I actually slightly preferred it to the AER for the mic channel especially.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 408
    I couldn't find anything that I thought matched the AER compact 60. It might seem lot of dosh but it's not much compared to the price of the guitars and mics I'm putting through it
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 367
    Thanks folks, I’ll take a look at those suggestions
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    Fishman Loudbox - cracking.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    I've got a Loudbox Mini that I've used as sole amplification in small, fairly quiet settings (single open room that probably seats maybe 150+ people), and for personal monitoring in louder ones. If it was for vocal and guitar for "proper" performance in a medium-sized or noisier setting I'd want to scale up to the full banana or something a bit bigger/with more oomph.

Dunno what you have near you by way of shops for trying out, but if you fancy a trip over to Herts you'd be welcome to test out mine for as long as you like. It's not for sale, as it's useful to have knocking about, but  you could get a feel for it without pressure.
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 367
    Thank you @Snags for that generous offer. Good to see the Loudbox getting some favourable mentions. I don’t envisage doing a lot of gigs with an acoustic amp so something rather less than and AER is attractive
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I use a Fishman Loudbox Mini - it really is good news I'd put it up against an AER no question.
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    I prefer the Acus models to the AER stuff. Well thought out, nicely engineered and great sounds in a compact size.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1834
    How do these differ from say a K and K pick up?
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    I’ve played and owned all manner of acoustic amps including some high end schertlers and AER. The Laney A1+ is the one I’ve kept and can be had for under £200
    edited June 2022

They're actual amps. Usually combo amps, often with two or more inputs, one that can take a vocal or other mic, and one with an instrument level input. They're designed to amplify an acoustic guitar sound rather than electric, and whilst in my experience they each have their own sound that's very different from the actual acoustic sound of a guitar, they (should) produce a more natural and pleasing outcome.

So the K&K pickup would get the signal out, then (if it's a mini) via a pre-amp and into the amp. The amp replaces (or augments) just going direct to desk.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2320
    I've been using an Ashdown acoustic radiator for about 12-14 years I think.   Combined with LR Baggs M1A or M80 pickup on my acoustic,  I've had no complaints ever and have been really happy with the sound

Appreciate they're not expensive compared to others, but despite having gas about pretty much everything to do with guitars/amps, I've never even bothered to look at other acoustic amps.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1834
    Snags said:

They're actual amps. Usually combo amps, often with two or more inputs, one that can take a vocal or other mic, and one with an instrument level input. They're designed to amplify an acoustic guitar sound rather than electric, and whilst in my experience they each have their own sound that's very different from the actual acoustic sound of a guitar, they (should) produce a more natural and pleasing outcome.

So the K&K pickup would get the signal out, then (if it's a mini) via a pre-amp and into the amp. The amp replaces (or augments) just going direct to desk.
    This is all new to me,but a pre amp and an amp? 
    @guitarjack66 Most acoustic guitar pickup systems have an on-board pre-amp that gets the signal strength up to instrument level, and sometimes allows for some local EQ etc. (e.g. Fishman, LR Baggs and all of the brand-fitted ones). It also usually allows you to vary the output volume a little, like you would with an electric guitar volume control.

K&K do some like that, I believe, but when I see K&K I tend to think of the "pure mini" which is just a set of transducers with no battery or other gubbins. So that normally would be paired with an off-board pre-amp, either in a pedal format, or a belt/strap pack or similar. Because the output signal on its own is a bit low and probably too raw to just go straight to your main amplification.

Once you've got your signal coming out of the guitar it would then conventionally go either direct to the PA, via a DI box to sort out the levels and convert it to a balanced connection, or to an acoustic amplifier which will, er, amplify it :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Another +1 for the Loudbox Mini - I love mine for guitar and vocals. It also doubles up as a really nice clean electric guitar amp! 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Nikc said:
    I use a Fishman Loudbox Mini - it really is good news I'd put it up against an AER no question.
    I've had both and I'd question it. Loud box mini is pretty gutless (bigger one is much better), and there's no comparison with the quality of sound.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    Snags said:
    @guitarjack66 Most acoustic guitar pickup systems have an on-board pre-amp that gets the signal strength up to instrument level, and sometimes allows for some local EQ etc. (e.g. Fishman, LR Baggs and all of the brand-fitted ones). It also usually allows you to vary the output volume a little, like you would with an electric guitar volume control.

K&K do some like that, I believe, but when I see K&K I tend to think of the "pure mini" which is just a set of transducers with no battery or other gubbins. So that normally would be paired with an off-board pre-amp, either in a pedal format, or a belt/strap pack or similar. Because the output signal on its own is a bit low and probably too raw to just go straight to your main amplification.

Once you've got your signal coming out of the guitar it would then conventionally go either direct to the PA, via a DI box to sort out the levels and convert it to a balanced connection, or to an acoustic amplifier which will, er, amplify it :)
    I only use K&K Pure Minis. They sound fine straight into the guitar input of a dedicated acoustic amp (Fishman Loudbox in my case). For feeding a PA I use the K&K preamp or a FlyRig Acoustic, otherwise it sounds pants. The biggest difference is in making sure the pickup sees a 1MOhm impedance on the input jack.