What do you do when a band member lets you down at short notice?

What's Hot
RolandRoland Frets: 8701
Asking for a friend
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    Depends entirely on how they let you down and whether it's habitual, a one-off, and/or letting the entire band down. 
    Can we get more information?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27453
    Getting your hair done is important, and they should respect your priorities.

;)

A one-off for a genuine reason - shit happens.    If it's a recurring situation, you have a vacancy.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 240
    Personally, I panic.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7205
    Rush out to the nearest Oxfam shop and buy a set of ornamental Andean panpipes or an ocarina and get somebody's child or grandchild to step in.  Inform the audience that you are doing a one-off new age "world peace and save the planet" gig, but that it will be the usual set the following week.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Lots of it depends. 

Never had anyone do that to me just being an arse. I have done that to someone else being something of an arse and it's a regret. Although that kind of thing never did Clapton's career any harm. 

But in the short term is the gig still playable without that person/with a dep?  If need be call the venue to explain and meanwhile try to find another band to cover the slot. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3670
    edited June 2022
    Question lacks any context..

Was it unavoidable .. work or family issues.?  A pattern of unreliability?

Analyse it first.. then the implications can be understood and the right actions taken.  A first knee jerk response might be wrong or over emotional and cause more issues.

Planning for ‘shit happens’ means deps, other bands/people you can call to cover or a contract / agreement with notes and language on cancellation and band insurance.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701

Analyse it first.. then the implications can be understood and the right actions taken.  A first knee jerk response might be wrong or over emotional and cause more issues.
    Our singer has bailed out of this weekend’s gig in favour of doing karaoke. I started the thread while I decided what to do about it, both immediately and in the longer term. I’ve now decided. 

I’m interested in how other people deal with band members they can’t rely on.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    Roland said:

Our singer has bailed out of this weekend’s gig in favour of doing karaoke. I started the thread while I decided what to do about it, both immediately and in the longer term. I’ve now decided. 

Sounds to me like you need a new singer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 401
    Don't attempt any free-form jazz exploration in front of a festival crowd.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27453
    RickLucas said:
    Don't attempt any free-form jazz exploration in front of a festival crowd.
    Please *do*, but make sure you video the reaction and post it here

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    Roland said:

Kill her.

Assuming the cops don't get you before the gig, the first thing would be the conversation where one discusses the concept of commitments - as in, you as a band made one to do a gig, for which presumably you get paid and there is publicity, so it's tough shit if something more interesting has come up, and she should do the gig, even if she wants to jack after that.

If she simply won't do it, draft in a replacement for that show (I think it's all covers? so that should be a bit easier to find than originals) and if you can't find a replacement, try to find a substitute band and let the venue know.

I'd then start looking for a new singer, either way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26961
    My last band had a pretty good system to cover others if someone was sick. 4 piece with drums, bass and 2 guitars. Bassist always frontman but the other guitarist would usually sing about 1/3 of the set and i’m a decent harmonist/BVs guy and competent on bass. And because all of us were sining on and off through any given set we all knew at least 70% of the lyrics.

So if any of the “front 3” were out we could cover each other with at least a slightly simplified set, and if the drummer was out we’d play with an acoustic, electric and bass setup. 

Never had to but it would’ve worked well. 

If someone becomes properly flaky though it’s time for a replacement. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3670
    edited June 2022
    Roland said:

Send them the thanks for so far message and get on with new singer auditions.  Keep it businesslike.  I assume them bailing lost the gig for the band.  That is just pure lack of commitment/respect.  Not professional enough.

Once our gigs are locked in, no one takes other work.  If there is a legitimate problem (e.g injured) we either adapt lineup or reschedule with venue and suggest / help find alternate band.  Super busy players will / should offer deps. if they get major music work on.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1328
    Blowing off a gig cos a better offer came along to perform elsewhere?
    Err... NEXT....
    they're gone.
    Please don't let the door hit you on the a*rse on the way out...
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Snags said:

Kill her.

Steady on, this is a public forum.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    Cirrus said:
    Snags said:

Kill her.

Steady on, this is a public forum.

Sorry. Only just started your course, and haven't got to Lesson 3: Appropriate Times And Places.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 146
    I hate to say it, but I have been guilty of this...

Totally forgetting a rehearsal and missing the texts/calls as I was mowing the lawn at the time.

On another occasion I had a crisis of confidence/mental health low and pulled out of a band that I'd joined with the full intent of being a solid member. They held off booking gigs while I took 6 weeks to get the repertoire to standard and I bailed... Not proud of it but 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6990
    Roland said:

That's bad.  I mean, it would be one thing if it was a family emergency, called into work or some other unforeseen issue... but karaoke?  Effectively the rest of the band apparently now ranks lower than a karaoke machine in the singer's list of priorities.

The impact is: all of the prep time for the gig is wasted, yourself and the rest of the band have had to block out their weekend for no result, and worst of all the relationship with the venue is damaged.  Unreliable bands don't tend to get repeat bookings.

Where it goes from there would depend on the band dynamic.  If it's a band of equals, the singer's arse wouldn't touch the floor of the way out. 

On the other hand, if the singer is the key draw and the reason most of the audience turns up then it's more awkward.  Ozzy's post-Sabbath band mates didn't ditch him when he slept through gigs, went to the wrong hotel and suchlike because the audience was only there to see Ozzy. 

So if you're happy being the singer's backing track, take it on the chin and move on.  Myself, I'd either be looking for another singer or another band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    We had a drummer let us down - wanted to play a festival at 2 days notice rather than the local pub that gave us our start + 5 gigs per year. Managed to get a stand in and he has been our drummer for 5 years. For sickness we cancel and its not a problem.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    If your singer prefers doing karaoke to playing with a real band, then they’ve made their choice and you need a new singer. I can’t think of any extenuating circumstances really, at least that wouldn’t have been known about long enough ago to not take the gig in the first place.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom