Practice Amps - What's the state of play?

What's Hot

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4491
    I'll throw the Vox handbag Adio Air GT into the mix.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1391
    Probably a minority opinion but, for genuine practice at home purposes, I don't think it really matters what the amp sounds like – at least within reason. I have a couple of nice 5W valve amps that I play clean with the odd OD pedal and they both sound pretty good. However, they don't make my practice any more effective and I could just as usefully use my daughter's £50 plastic solid state starter amp if I'm just learning a new lick or the bones of a song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 401
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    RickLucas said:
    that does sound good, I take it they're discontinued?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 401
    VimFuego said:
    RickLucas said:
    that does sound good, I take it they're discontinued?
    That's an old one but there is a modern Fender approximation with reverb for about £800. For that money though, you could get an original 70s one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 146
    I've got the lovely little 1w Blackstar that I'm very happy with. Although at £300 for a new one they are not cheap.

I also really like the Roland Cube 10w, as a totally different option for £130- the street version is a great one man PA.
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 295
    I mainly use Fender-flavoured cleans or lightly overdriven sounds and really love the THR10C for that. Mine is 10 years old and when I compare the tones with similar ones on Helix they hold their own, in quality if not variety. I’ve money burning a hole in my pocket to upgrade it but I’m just never seeing anything that looks worth the extra spend.

Overdriven sounds are very good also but if you were a high gain player you’d want to look at other models.

Agree with this in parts. I have a Helix and a first gen THR10 and think they're both great. For me, there's a world of difference between the tones, even over headphones, but to be fair I'm mostly playing through the little hi-fi speakers of the THR while I'm sending the Helix to a 2x12 cab via a power amp, so hardly apples with apples. 

THRs are fantastic for practice - they look good in any setting, are unobtrusive and I find that I can feel the desire to have a little strum and be playing in a matter of seconds - literally. With the Helix, it's very easy to go down the rabbit hole of patches and tweaking - and I'm sure we all know the experience of finally getting the sound we want and then having no time to play. 

Bottom line though, there's loads to choose from. You could have a little valve amp with simple controls (there's a Fender Pro Jr. for sale in the classifieds now if that's your vibe, for example), or a small, living room-friendly digital amp like the THR or Spark, modeller/software through monitor speakers or into a traditional cab via power amp, or a giggable valve amp played at low volume with pedals or attenuated.

FWIW I started off trying to get a home volume valve amp that would be the best of all worlds and it just didn't work for me. I found that I was much happier with a 30w, 2x12 valve amp played quietly with a Box of Rock-type pedal in front, or a Helix with a power amp and traditional cab. You really need to try a few things out and see what's right for you. Enjoy the journey!
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7282
    archetype: gojira
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I should add that we attended a workshop a few years ago on David Gilmour’s guitar style, where the classroom amp was a 30w Vox Valvetronix and it sounded great. 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Blackstar Fly  is neat and far from simple ,loved by many .If you sound crap on it you will on anything .Bluetooth version is best .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PALPAL Frets: 533
    Boss Katana Mini or Fender Mustang Micro Headphone amp. I use them both .
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Probably a minority opinion but, for genuine practice at home purposes, I don't think it really matters what the amp sounds like – at least within reason. I have a couple of nice 5W valve amps that I play clean with the odd OD pedal and they both sound pretty good. However, they don't make my practice any more effective and I could just as usefully use my daughter's £50 plastic solid state starter amp if I'm just learning a new lick or the bones of a song.
    When I switched to desktop amps (THR10 and now Spark) I found my tone got better when playing through proper amps. For me at least, desktop amps respond more like a proper amp at band levels than a normal practice amp. This means I'm plucking the strings in the same way, using the same dynamics, pick angles etc
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    If I was buying now i'd go with a Blackstar Silverline - Ive tired one and yep it ticks the boxes - or go with a decent multi fx with some sort of monitor to suit. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3963
    Fender have just announced a Mustang LT40S desktop amp, looks like an update of the GT40.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Sassafras said:
    Pignose.
    No need to be insulting!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    edited June 2022
    Fender have just announced a Mustang LT40S desktop amp, looks like an update of the GT40.
    looks nice, but mains only like the Spark................................... for me, that'd make it a no. But its not me asking the Q

but it does have ........

Accessories

• 1-Button Economy, P/N: 0994049000 (Not Included)

which I assume is a foot switch ?  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I can’t remember the last time I used my amp at home. It’s been helix and headphones for years and before that sgear and headphones.
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    edited June 2022
    I discovered a Marshall MG30 buried in a room at home. As well as a Fender Bass practice amp. If anyone's interested, let me know. Or I'll sling them
    However for home use I use my Helix. Tis wonderful having so many different tones - including bass amps.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    I think I'm after something that I can use without headphones, but have the option of using them if I wish. As it's only me there's no one in the house I can piss off, and the neighbours are happy enough to make loads of noise, so I'm happy fuck them off 7 different ways from Sunday. When I clear out the garden room, Imma get a drum kit!!!

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    You can get a secondhand valve Laney VC15 for under £250, or an LC15R for a bit less which you can use for practice and also to jam if you have some friends over too.