Bob Mould, Islington Assembly Halls 16.06.22

What's Hot
CleckoClecko Frets: 295
Hüsker Dü were a bit before my time, but I got big into Sugar in the 90s and then discovered some of Bob Mould's earlier work. Somehow though, I never managed to see Bob/Sugar live.

That changed last night when a couple of us left the office, jumped on to a searingly hot Victoria Line train and re-emerged into the rarified world of Islington's Upper Street (it's true, by the way: Islington is full of lawyers - I was with one). 

So it was just Bob, a Strat (with what I think were Lace Sensors - he never moved off the bridge pickup as far as I could tell), a Blackstar Artisan (30?) and a pedalboard, which I couldn't see but strongly suspect was just a series of dirt pedals and a compressor.

Man, that guy can play the guitar. Not flashy, not particularly remarkable in terms of technical proficiency etc, but he really filled that hall with a wall of sound and dirt and emotion and melody and... joy. So nice to see a crowd enjoy it so much.

£7 for a 330ml can of Neck Oil.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danodano Frets: 1590
    edited June 2022
    Nice !

I think I've come from the same place, listened to Sugar loads in the 90s, delved into Husker Du and been listening to him on and off for 20 odd years.

I'm going to see him next Friday evening im Liverpool.  Really looking forward to it (plus a few beers either side !) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited June 2022
    Copper Blue is a standout classic for me, the perfect balance of visceral aggression, powerful guitar, solid band and great melodies. I’ve never really gelled with a lot of his other stuff, including the later Sugar albums where the balance just wasn’t the same. 

Would love to see him live all the same.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    edited June 2022
    Longtime Husker Du fan here, at least from Zen Arcade onwards, when I first got into them back in the 80s. I still watch the live in London show every now and again and I think they wrote some amazing songs, although the production values on their albums are inconsistent, even once they went beyond the hardcore stage and got with a major label.
    I bought all the Sugar stuff when it came out but passed on Bob's subsequent solo albums until quite recently, as the early ones were a bit dark and sparse, but the recent ones ( eg Sunshine Rock) are really good and a proper return to form.
    Used to want an Explorer simply based on him using one in that live in London (I wore that VHS out!) before I even knew he was actually known for a V copy and was just borrowing the Explorer for that gig.
    He seems to play some weird chords, his own particular way....but there were some simple but great riffs (eg Pink Turns to Blue) in their output once they'd got past the noisy Land Speed Record era.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Black sheets of rain is the Bob album I always put on.  Its very angry.  Great at the end of a rough day at work.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I really like that one too & the Beaster album by Sugar. Husker DU are one of those bands I would really like to like, but sadly don't. I really liked the "aesthetic" & the album tiltles- Candy Apple Grey, Zen Arcade, are brilliant titles. I must try Copper Blue again, another one I wish I liked.

@clecko if it was Lake Placid Blue Strat with a all maple neck I think that's probably the number one he's had for ages since the Ibanez Vs

• CleckoClecko Frets: 295
    dano said:

I'm going to see him next Friday evening im Liverpool.  Really looking forward to it (plus a few beers either side !) 
    Enjoy! You know it's literally just him - no bass or drums? One guy at the London gig didn't and was annoyed!

Copper Blue is a standout classic for me, the perfect balance of visceral aggression, powerful guitar, solid band and great melodies. I’ve never really gelled with a lot of his other stuff, including the later Sugar albums where the balance just wasn’t the same. 

Would love to see him live all the same.
    Just a few Sugar songs are popping up on his set list, and all from Copper Blue: Hoover Dam, Helpless and If I Can't Change your Mind. 

@clecko if it was Lake Placid Blue Strat with a all maple neck I think that's probably the number one he's had for ages since the Ibanez Vs

Pretty sure this is correct. It looked kind of Sherwood Green to me, but old guitar, stage lighting etc - I reckon it is the Lake Placid Blue Strat that he's known for. I've never played Lace Sensors, but the sound was thick and quite saturated on the bridge pickup. Worked well. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22729
    I've never seen Bob Mould live, but I've got all the Sugar stuff and all his solo albums (although he's probably released another one or two since I last looked!).  For some reason I've never gone back to the Husker Du material, I really should.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493

His song 'The War' is one of my favourite songs for the last decade or so.

His song 'The War' is one of my favourite songs for the last decade or so.

Yeah, cracker. He seems to be opening every gig with it on this tour. 
    I have a dimly lit and not particularly clear photo of his pedalboard from his Bristol gig last night. What's the easiest way for me to upload the photo (I don't have an online photo storage account of any kind). 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Posted on behalf of Clecko because he’s too posh to get Imgur….

Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • yorkioyorkio Frets: 173

Just glorious. He rocks so hard his glasses steam up from the inside.
    Thanks @TimmyO ;

What's on that pedalboard, then? I can identify a Boss tuner. 

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    Clecko said:
    Thanks @TimmyO ;

Wampler Ego compressor (top left of board as seen by the player).
    EHX Freeze (below the Ego on the left of the board).

The other two, then? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Clecko said:
    Thanks @TimmyO ;

Wampler Ego compressor (top left of board as seen by the player).
    EHX Freeze (below the Ego on the left of the board).

The other two, then? 
    Nice. Is the green one a TS-type pedal and the other a more aggressive distortion, perhaps?