Comments

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1831
    bertie said:
    Lovely instrument. I assume its a parlour guitar?
    I believe its  00 
    An ideal size,I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    if you were closer Id say "come try my parlor"   and you'd be surprised at how "not small" it sounds

Ive had others (including a Faith ), and a crappy Crafter OM that sounded "tiny" compared to a well made one.

there's very little in it at the end of the "spectrum"  -   scale length/fret join can have more of an impact.

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3679
    As @bertie said it’s OO so a little larger than a parlour. But pretty much a perfect size for me at least. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    how do you find the tone of the walnut ?  say in comparison to anything else you have  ie mahog/rwood etc

Its a wood that has always aesthetically intrigued me,  on its own like yours or mixed with others (cherry for instance)  but the lack of "experience" in hearing/trying one 
    edited June 2022
    That’s a hard one as I lack the vocabulary to describe tones and I’m not sure that you’d interpret them the way that I mean my other acoustic is a Martin OOO15M so all mahogany (ignoring the one that’s spruce/acacia EDIT it’s actually rosewood, they changed the spec, as that’s a 12 string. Both have the same strings and are in the same tuning. 

Tonaly I’d say the Brook is more complex, there seems to be more “happening” than with the Martin but I’d need to do a side by side ro properly A-B them.  
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2347
    bertie said:
    if you were closer Id say "come try my parlor"   and you'd be surprised at how "not small" it sounds

Ive had others (including a Faith ), and a crappy Crafter OM that sounded "tiny" compared to a well made one.

there's very little in it at the end of the "spectrum"  -   scale length/fret join can have more of an impact.

Interesting. I kind of feel like I would like a parlour, but I'm not sure about the sound- but the only one I've tried was a Faith Mercury (actually probably a few examples of it in the various ranges they have) which I thought sounded a bit honky/middy. About what price range do you have to go to to get a good one? My feeling was that I should get a cheaper all-solid one (Harley Benton? Recording King?) on the basis that I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but from what you're saying that sounds like entirely the wrong plan!
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1831
    bertie said:

I've seen a few Crafter guitars knocking around and thought they were a solid brand,but you hint at them not quite being that good?
    Dave_Mc said:
    bertie said:

Interesting. I kind of feel like I would like a parlour, but I'm not sure about the sound- but the only one I've tried was a Faith Mercury (actually probably a few examples of it in the various ranges they have) which I thought sounded a bit honky/middy. About what price range do you have to go to to get a good one? My feeling was that I should get a cheaper all-solid one (Harley Benton? Recording King?) on the basis that I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but from what you're saying that sounds like entirely the wrong plan!
    the Faith I had, was a Mercury,   and compared to the TW73,  boxy

FWIW - I avoided the RKs cos of the V neck
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    bertie said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    bertie said:

the Faith I had, was a Mercury,   and compared to the TW73,  boxy

FWIW - I avoided the RKs cos of the V neck
    Thanks :) The TW73 is a Tanglewood, right? (I literally had to google that, lol, I'm probably betraying my ignorance here!) Boxy is about right regarding the Mercury- it's really short scale, only 24" I think? I wonder if that's anything to do with it (it might not be!).

Not sure about necks, really... I could probably handle a V neck ok, but at the same time I could well be wrong about that!
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7162
    That's a really beautiful guitar.  Looking at it from a technical viewpoint I notice that the bridge pins are angled so that they follow the angle of the saddle.  That's done by somebody that really understands guitars.  On most steel strung acoustics the bridge pins are in a straight line, which means that the bass strings are at an acute angle up over the saddle, but the treble strings are at a much shallower angle because the saddle is further away from the bridge pins on that side.  By keeping the pins the same distance from the saddle all the way across the bridge gives a consistent breakover angle on the saddle and a better angle on the high E string than is often the case.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @Dave_Mc ; - rather than go for less expensive because you're not sure a parlour would suit, I'd say go and try as many as you can *then* make up your mind how much you want to spend :) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5401
    BillDL said:
    On most steel strung acoustics the bridge pins are in a straight line, which means that the bass strings are at an acute angle up over the saddle, but the treble strings are at a much shallower angle because the saddle is further away from the bridge pins on that side.
    I have 7 guitars made by four different builders on two different continents. Pretty fair randomish sample. Every one of the 7 has angled bridge pin holes. 
    edited June 2022
    Mellish said:
    @Dave_Mc ; - rather than go for less expensive because you're not sure a parlour would suit, I'd say go and try as many as you can *then* make up your mind how much you want to spend  
    Thanks. Problem as usual is Northern Ireland... very little stuff around here to try out of the ordinary (which I've probably already tried!). I could probably get the Harley Benton, or even the Recording King, for less than a trip to England. Considering I could just send them back if I don't like them and pay return postage, far less than a trip to England... 
    bertie said:
    how do you find the tone of the walnut ?  say in comparison to anything else you have  ie mahog/rwood etc

Its a wood that has always aesthetically intrigued me,  on its own like yours or mixed with others (cherry for instance)  but the lack of "experience" in hearing/trying one 
    @bertie a quick A-B test of the 2 of them excuse the poor quality and playing

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    without knowing which is which, the 1st sounded darker to me, the 2nd sounded brighter and had more clarity. Both sounded really nice, but I think I prefer the 2nd slightly.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

edited June 2022
    drofluf said:
    bertie said:

@bertie a quick A-B test of the 2 of them excuse the poor quality and playing

thanks -   as with @VimFuego not knowing which was which -   for me the first had more bass,  I wouldnt say darker but fuller the second more clear defined highs ,    tough  but I think prefer the first................................................  s  

that was listening on a plantronics "skype headset"  tho !!
    I deliberately didn't say which was which as I didn't want any preconceived ideas to intervene :)  Thought I'd leave it out a while but will reveal later.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 228
    edited June 2022
    Listened through a decent set of 'phones to this a couple of times. They're close, but the second sample edges it for me - it has a lovely balanced resonant tonal quality & is louder ; the first sample I thought slightly more bass heavy.
    They both sound good, the fact I had to listen a few times shows how close they are.
    I like the blind test idea - but later you will have to enlighten us!  B

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    drofluf said:
    I deliberately didn't say which was which as I didn't want any preconceived ideas to intervene :)  Thought I'd leave it out a while but will reveal later.
    you rotten tease you.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Vim there nailed how I heard it. I'd have to go with the second one, too.

Nice example of fingerstyle btw :)