Tele string ferrules loose..

What's Hot
Got a new Tele..Nice weight,,seems a good guitar..
When I took the strings off..There were 2 ferrules dangling from the ball ends..
The holes are slightly too big..
Would 2 part epoxy glue be the fix for this..
Or is there another better way..

I could send it back,,I would rather keep a decent one..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7006
    tFB Trader
    Epoxy is overkill. A smear of woodglue is probably better, cleans up with water and just strength enough to hold the ferrule. 

The strings do keep them in place though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    I have one in my tele that sometimes comes with the string but rarely happens.
    I'd say keep them like they are and maybe they eventually sit tightly and hold in place.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6768
    edited June 2022
    Yep - PVA wood glue - I use this for loose string ferules and tuner bushes - just a small dab in the hole is needed, fills the gap well, and dries clear..
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16647
    Please don't epoxy.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Best is a wrap of paper masking tape. Cut it to very slightly longer than the straight part of the ferrule so you can crinkle it over the end a little bit which will stop it being pushed back as it goes into the body.

Better than glue since it remains slightly squashy and won't crack over time.

I've done probably literally hundreds of them, it's a very common problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KevSKevS Frets: 477
    OK thank you..Brilliant advice and an easy fix..
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    ICBM said:
    Best is a wrap of paper masking tape. Cut it to very slightly longer than the straight part of the ferrule so you can crinkle it over the end a little bit which will stop it being pushed back as it goes into the body.

Better than glue since it remains slightly squashy and won't crack over time.

I've done probably literally hundreds of them, it's a very common problem.
    Works on tuner ferrules too…
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll