Introduce Yourself

What's Hot

Comments

• sld5150sld5150 Frets: 1
    Hi all, 

I’m new here, so thought I’d best introduce myself. 

Q1:  Where did your username come from?

I’m Simon, and my username is my initials, plus the hangover from a teenage Van Halen obsession. 

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

Bristol, UK

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?

I’m in my 40s, so dreams of stardom are long gone. I’d like to get the hang of hybrid picking though. 

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

My 1999 Yamaha Pacifica 812. I’ve had it from new, and always come back to it. 

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one

That’s an almost impossible choice, but I’d have to pick ‘Motorcycle Driver’ by Joe Satriani. It’s the track that inspired me to pick up a guitar at 13. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ALMutiALMuti Frets: 4
    Hey all! Alberto here. I've been drawn to the forum in the questo to contact GSPBasses (we're already talking), but it's actually great to be on a forum after so many years. Social networks are too messy nowadays. 

Q1:  Where did you username come from?

Just my initials and surname, nothing fancy.

I'm in East London, but started in Italy. 

Picked up playing again after a good 15 years off (since my teens); Right now, I just wanna play and get back in the swing of things, and think about goals later. 

prooooobably my 1980 Aria TS-500, it's too good. 

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?
    Ah, I can never just stick to a #1. Let's maybe say Bowie's Heroes, but only because I know it's an easy one. 

• NeoNeo Frets: 2
    Hi Everyone, it’s Neo here. I’m just starting out with my guitar journey and came across thus forum. Lots of new things to learn…so maybe asking a lot of stupid questions in the coming days and months
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi, I'm Daniel. Thanks for the add!

Bit of a long story, but as a young tradesman I accidentally bumped / damaged a undermount toolbox on a semi truck in a lot at a dealership, and the other guys started calling me Crash Dandicoot.

Alberta, Canada.

I primarily play just for myself, but I operate a small guitar tech / repair business on the side.

Probably one of my ESP Horizons or J. Customs.

That's a tough one. Easiest and first that comes to mind: Mr. Scary.

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1742

A bit of a belated welcome to some of you, but welcome nonetheless! There's plenty to explore and participate in. Try the "recent discussions" and jump right in.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sld5150sld5150 Frets: 1
    Thanks @GoFish
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • relayarrelayar Frets: 24
    edited July 17
    Hello all, I'm John, with a tardy introduction I know, but I habitually go all round the houses before arriving next door! 

I have a somewhat moribund blog on wordpress, mainly concerned with the Alien film franchise, and that has seen much neglect and bugger all else these last few years, and relayar is my handle there. It's actually a riff on title of the Yes album Relayer, whose music from that period I remain a fan of.

Northamptonshire (originally from Loughborough).

To overcome long-standing musical inertia.

Hmm, tricky one, this. Maybe it's my most recent guitar purchase, a Music Man JP15. Next month/year, who knows. . .

The one piece of music to be played at my funeral? The thing that sees me off in a 'puff' of smoke? 'I get up, I get down' - courtesy of my favourite and arguably most spiritual Yes album, 'Close To The Edge'.

I have reasonably eclectic tastes in music though; it's not all about prog. Been playing guitar, on and off, since 1975, semi-pro/demos/failure to score a rukkud contract, etc, the usual tunnel of love and failure. But now, I'm on the cusp of renewal in my musical aspirations. Hence, wanting to engage here. And maybe, er, sell some gear, -cough-.

John

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2989
    @relayar Hi John and welcome aboard.  

Thanks @thumpingrug, appreciate the welcome.
  • stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 226
    relayar said:
    Hello all, I'm John, with a tardy introduction I know, but I habitually go all round the houses before arriving next door! 

I have a somewhat moribund blog on wordpress, mainly concerned with the Alien film franchise, and that has seen much neglect and bugger all else these last few years, and relayar is my handle there. It's actually a riff on title of the Yes album Relayer, whose music from that period I remain a fan of.

Hmm, tricky one, this. Maybe it's my most recent guitar purchase, a Music Man JP15. Next month/year, who knows. . .

The one piece of music to be played at my funeral? The thing that sees me off in a 'puff' of smoke? 'I get up, I get down' - courtesy of my favourite and arguably most spiritual Yes album, 'Close To The Edge'.

I have reasonably eclectic tastes in music though; it's not all about prog. Been playing guitar, on and off, since 1975, semi-pro/demos/failure to score a rukkud contract, etc, the usual tunnel of love and failure. But now, I'm on the cusp of renewal in my musical aspirations. Hence, wanting to engage here. And maybe, er, sell some gear, -cough-.

John

I am a big fan of the first Yes album,. it's got that weird Canterbury/folky psychedelic vibe to it (I know they weren't strictly a part of the Canterbury scene). I dig their later albums too but that first album is just perfect.

Welcome aboard!
  • TurnipheadTurniphead Frets: 4
    TTony said:

[edit]
    ChristophEar has created a Spotify playlist of all the #1 tracks
    Everyone's #1 tracks.

And I just "stickied" this for as long as we've got lots of new rejoiners arriving!

Hello peeps…I’m new but old. My username comes from my current wife’s inability to get my surname right, but is quite apt as I have the memory of a failing President.
    I am in the Garden of England ( Kent) and like most British gardens, got the occasional busted engine and lots of weeds. Main ambition…to be able to play again following a stroke last year.
    Best gear….PRS McCarty 2011…best neck I’ve played in 40 yrs.
    Best track…probably Echoes…Live at Pompeii ,which set the seed for future love of strats and guitars in general.
    40 yrs a guitarist…long way short of where I would like to be…
    edited July 21
    relayar said:

John

I am a big fan of the first Yes album,. it's got that weird Canterbury/folky psychedelic vibe to it (I know they weren't strictly a part of the Canterbury scene). I dig their later albums too but that first album is just perfect.

Welcome aboard!
    I get what you're saying re: 'Yes' (the album). They were certainly pushing the envelope during the 60/70's, along with a lot of bands of course, and there is a clear evolution in their sophisticated approach to music making. It got a little too sophisticated for me sometimes; 'Tales of Topographic Oceans' leaves me cold. Anyway, thanks for the welcome @stylesforfree.
    @Turniphead ;  loving the name - welcome

• Papa812Papa812 Frets: 1

Q1:  The band Ghost

Q2:  Derby, England

Q3:  To be the best I can

Q4:  EVH Striped guitar

Q5:  It changes quite a bit

• Al_NicoAl_Nico Frets: 15

It's just a name my friend Nick Colbolt calls me.

UK. North Cambridgeshire.

To write, perform, program and produce an album of totally finished tracks.

Multi chanel PC audio interface

Squeeze - Up the junction

• TurnipheadTurniphead Frets: 4
    Thanks buddy….nice avatar….good album….always on my mind during the break up of my first marriage
    Thanks buddy….nice avatar….good album….always on my mind during the break up of my first marriage
    Very good album and extra Wis awareded for being aware of it.

• renaldorenaldo Frets: 1

Hello all, I'm Ross, a long time lurker taking the plunge and introducing myself.

It's an old college nickname based on my surname

Originally from Eastbourne, East Sussex but have been living in and around London for 25 years, currently in Beckenham in Kent

I just play for fun, but I'm trying to become a better player all round - technically, ear training, improvising etc.

Maybe not "best" as it isn't the most practical or versatile, but if I could only keep one thing it would be my Rickenbacker 360

This is tough and would likely vary day by day, but it would be something by REM and today I'll say Bad Day

@renaldo Welcome aboard. - Im a bit jealous of your Ricky. 

• RedneckRedneck Frets: 8
    edited August 3
    Q1. Apparently I'm a redneck because of the old camo baseball cap I always wear. And the jeans, Plaid shirt, wallet on a chain...

Q2. East Midlands.

Q3. To learn something new musically each day.

Q4. My Mike Dirnt Fender.  In the grand scheme it isn't that exciting, but I love it.

Q5. Phew, that's tricky.  Probably the Beatles original version of While My Guitar Gent.y Weeps.
    Bass, guitar, all types of mandolin, Irish Bouzouki